Reply to this topicStart new topic
> De La Hoya vs. Ike Quartey revisited.
mitukczuk
post Oct 3 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

Alright, so I just finished watching this fight and man, what a fight!

I almost forgot about the competitive spirit that was ruling the day that night. I have always been quite reserved when discussing De la Hoya. I don't know how to feel about him but one thing is for sure, Oscar COULD fight.

The beginning of the fight was the war of jabs and again, Ike Quartey had ONE HELL OF A JAB and was landing that shit with consistency and mean intentions. I liked Oscars combinations..nice, fluent..they didnt always hit the target but the right hand made an impact and it was visible that Ike's team wasn't counting with Oscar using it.
Middle rounds were nothing else than a takeover. Ike asserted himself as THE man - especially in the 6th round after he KDd Oscar after being on the floor himself.
Later rounds were in my opinion controversial - Again, Oscar wasn't doing shit until the 12 and oh my god, that must have been one of the most thrilling rounds I have ever seen. Although De la Hoya dropped Ike again in that round he wasnt able to finish him off and punched himself out.

When I put all my biases away, I would still gave the fight to Quartey because I think he deserved to win as he was fighting for the whole 12 rounds and was fighting really well. On the other hand Oscar was lacking discipline and fought on 100% only on few occasions. Of course Golden Boy couldn't lose the decision so I am not surprised that he won on the judges scorecards and also, arguments can be made about him actually winning the fight.

Thoughts ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVpzwmsiINg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 3 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

by far oscar's greatest performance...and i thought he pulled it out in the last round. i could see someone scoring it for bazooka though.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Oct 3 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #3

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

Seen that fight twice, both times had a draw.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 3 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Love these "revisited" threads! Good stuff Mit!

I will go back and watch again...no need in me posting, based off of my memory (which is not my strong point at the moment). Lol

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Oct 4 2012, 01:25 AM
Post #5

Lightweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 3 2012, 03:59 PM) *
by far oscar's greatest performance...and i thought he pulled it out in the last round. i could see someone scoring it for bazooka though.

I agree! It was a "ballsy" effort by Oscar and he really put his foot down in the 12th, shame he didn't put Ike down for good. I think he closed it in the best fashion possible... as a champion in the championship rounds.

But I still have to go with Quartey. As an underdog he gave Oscar run for his money and out-worked him for the majority of rounds imo.

Look forward to hear your opinion C'.

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Oct 4 2012, 03:07 AM

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Oct 6 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Great fight. When Oscar went for the kill after the knockdown in round 12.. Quartey lands a right hand counter off the ropes and Oscar ran for the rest of the entire round.. This fight should have been scored a draw...

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Oct 6 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #7

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

Still contend that Ike won that fight...even w/ the 12th round knockdown

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 6 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Guys, I hope that this is the last time you'll ever hear me say this, but I had the same score cards as Harold Lederman. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nea.gif)

Firstly, it's been years since I sat back and watched this fight, and I must say, Lampley's oral juggle of Oscar's testicles, was unbearable at times. The only reason that I didn't mute it, was because I wanted to hear what Foreman had to say. Hell, Merchant was hardly biased in that fight, and that says a lot.

Rounds 1-4 were pretty close, with little action, just a lot of jabs, but as for clean punches, not many landed between the two of them. From the middle of round 4, Quartey began to get a bit busier by pressing the actions with feints, that played a big part in the 5th (which I gave to Ike).

Round 6 was great, both were victims of bad timing and balance, and I cant say that either were all that hurt. If anything, Oscar may have slightly panicked the most after he went down. Quartey asserted himself more after they traded knockdowns, so I gave him the round.

7,8, and 9 went to Quartey, I'm not sure what happened to Oscar. Again, neither guy truly hurt each other up to this point, but Ike's right hand found it's home, and Oscar abandoned his jab from time to time...a weapon that kept Quartey careful for the first half of the fight.

I cant get it through my head why Lampley kept "queerishly" harping on the fact that Quartey was known to throw about 80+ punches per round, but was limited to around 40 per round with Oscar...simple solution now that think about it, man crush. Problem solved. Foreman wasn't too big on Ike's highly regarded jab, that was funny. Lol.

Oscar dug deep in the 10th, and edged it. Cant really remember what else happened, other than him landing that left hook a few times. Oscar's body work was good throughout the fight, but George mentioned that it was a bad idea because Oscar was the taller man, and throwing to the body would cause him to have his head lower than it should've been.

11th round, Ike beat Oscar to the punch, and was busier. Of course we all know what happened in the 12th when Oscar put Ike on his ass again. Bad move for IQ, dude got caught in the middle of his punches once again. He was okay when he stuck and moved, and did even better when he was able to turn Oscar. I was almost sure Ike was about to get stopped, but Oscar worked against himself and was punched out. Glad there wasn't a lot of time left on the clock and Quartey was on shakey legs.

I missed watching Oscar's old fights, I must admit! The only thing that killed me about him throughout his career, was his lack of confidence with quicker fighters, and his need to pull out all the stops (outside help) made him look like a sucker from time to time.

Those Daisey Duke trunks and small 80's workout shoes, were always a dead giveaway that he tried to maximize his speed, when he really had it all along, he just got caught thinking too much during fights with faster guys. In that sense, he was mentally beating himself up, while getting outworked and sometimes outpunched by faster guys.

Anyhow, I had it 114 - 133 in favor of Quartey. At one point, I had the 3rd round in favor of Quartey, but went back and gave it to Oscar, and I STILL had him losing on the cards. Whoever those two judges that had it 116 - 113 and 116 - 112 in favor of Oscar, should be kicked in their asses. Really? I know that the fight had some early close rounds, but damn, what were they thinking?

+Quote Post
Plah
post Oct 7 2012, 02:43 AM
Post #9

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

I think I also had the same scorecard but I had the 11 even 10-10. Had 113-113 I believe.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Oct 7 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

Finally C'...I almost thought you forgot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Im glad I am not the only one who saw Quartey edging it out ! I like your point about DLHY thinking too much when fighting quicker opponents. He definitely dropped a ball or two because of this.

Also, Oscar's jab....I don't understand why he abandoned it in some fights. That punch alone could win fights.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 02:35 AM