Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So Who Beats Floyd? Past or Present?
sduck
post May 9 2013, 04:21 AM
Post #51

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,788

I'm looking at the tapes and I think Duran would probably be one of Floyd's hardest fights. Duran, Pryor, and Ray Robinson (depending on how he fought) would give Floyd the most trouble imho. Floyd would out pinpoint both Hearns and Leonard. He'd take away Hearns' right hand, and beautifully box him. The don't be fooled by height, watch Floyd's fight with Tony Pep, shit is beautiful.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 9 2013, 09:25 AM
Post #52

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

I agree with you that a prepared and focused Duran would be a hard fight for Floyd. Duran truly is one of the greatest of all times. People let his "no mas" against Leonard blind them to how great this guy was.. when he wanted to be his defense was tremendous. He could pick off shots with his gloves and dig in. At lightweight he was tremendous. I laugh my ass off when people were trying to compare Pacquiao to Duran...

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 9 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #53

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 9 2013, 10:25 AM) *
I agree with you that a prepared and focused Duran would be a hard fight for Floyd. Duran truly is one of the greatest of all times. People let his "no mas" against Leonard blind them to how great this guy was.. when he wanted to be his defense was tremendous. He could pick off shots with his gloves and dig in. At lightweight he was tremendous. I laugh my ass off when people were trying to compare Pacquiao to Duran...

duran would have wrecked a guy like pac.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 9 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #54

Welterweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 9 2013, 09:08 PM) *
duran would have wrecked a guy like pac.

Definitely...

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post May 10 2013, 12:11 AM
Post #55

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Some past legends may give Floyd problems,

As Floyd Sr. himself even said, "The competition was much better back than." In the past, boxing had also one or two championship federation world titles at the most instead of four. Many fighters today can win a big four belt and none of the federations have unification requirements, so in these days, the best can't or won't fight the best like in the past.

Remember that Floyd's a guy who is so used to setting his own temp and dictating the pace of a good 75% of his opponents. Most only win maybe four rounds off of him. However, with these past greats, Floyd would be up against fighters who set their own temp in there their own time and it would be hard to assess how well he could adjust. There are some vicious power punches with these legends and boxers who were their own version of Floyd in the days they fought, maybe even better. When you have a present great who is so used to controlling the terms and the pace, and than all of a sudden you have a "This guy's doing it even better." It can effect game plan and ability to execute that plan.

Floyd would always be competitive against the past greats, but not sure if he wins against some of them for the reasons above.

Jack

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 10 2013, 07:26 AM
Post #56

Welterweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 10 2013, 01:11 AM) *
Some past legends may give Floyd problems,

As Floyd Sr. himself even said, "The competition was much better back than." In the past, boxing had also one or two championship federation world titles at the most instead of four. Many fighters today can win a big four belt and none of the federations have unification requirements, so in these days, the best can't or won't fight the best like in the past.

Remember that Floyd's a guy who is so used to setting his own temp and dictating the pace of a good 75% of his opponents. Most only win maybe four rounds off of him. However, with these past greats, Floyd would be up against fighters who set their own temp in there their own time and it would be hard to assess how well he could adjust. There are some vicious power punches with these legends and boxers who were their own version of Floyd in the days they fought, maybe even better. When you have a present great who is so used to controlling the terms and the pace, and than all of a sudden you have a "This guy's doing it even better." It can effect game plan and ability to execute that plan.

Floyd would always be competitive against the past greats, but not sure if he wins against some of them for the reasons above.

Jack

Great analysis. One thing as in the eras of those legends, Floyd could have the stamina to go 15 rounds... stamina is an intangible Floyd possesses that would make him competitive against the greats of time past.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 10 2013, 04:13 PM
Post #57

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 10 2013, 08:26 AM) *
Great analysis. One thing as in the eras of those legends, Floyd could have the stamina to go 15 rounds... stamina is an intangible Floyd possesses that would make him competitive against the greats of time past.

i agree. great analysis.

i think floyd could do 15 rounds easy. i've never seen him struggle to finish. hell...in most fights he isn't even breathing hard towards the end.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 10 2013, 04:17 PM
Post #58

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

The reason Floyd is on such another level I personally think, is because he is on a another level both physically and mentally. And still after 44 fights doesn't take anything for granted.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 10 2013, 04:19 PM
Post #59

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 10 2013, 05:17 PM) *
The reason Floyd is on such another level I personally think, is because he is on a another level both physically and mentally. And still after 44 fights doesn't take anything for granted.

he was born into this...and has been learning since he was 2! who else can say that in this sport? no one.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 10 2013, 04:38 PM
Post #60

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 10 2013, 10:19 PM) *
he was born into this...and has been learning since he was 2! who else can say that in this sport? no one.

You know you could probably of made an argument for him to be the greatest, but it's just hard at times lol.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:30 PM