Reply to this topicStart new topic
> hbo commentary team, kellerman/poppa/ward
Cshel86
post Jan 25 2013, 09:09 AM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Was I the only one that got the feeling that none of the commentators were all that interested in the card last weekend? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I guess, just hearing Bob Papa's voice or name scroll across the screen, just sucks the life out of me. He's not horrible...just boring as hell. I actually like Max Kellerman nowadays...couldn't stand him in the past.

I think he grew on me during the Morales/Maidana fight, or maybe its because it was only him and Lampley that night, and no disgruntled 3rd wheel at the announcer's table. At times, he put too much mustard on some of commentary last weekend, but overall, he's pretty solid. He does better when Roy's there though...him and Papa seemed lost at times.

Ward always does somewhat of a decent job, but from his tone, it sounded like he'd much rather have been some place else (at home resting that shoulder), but maybe thats just me. Lol. He sort of reminded me of Austin Trout's commentary, nothing special, but solid nonetheless.

Why all the disdain for Kellerman? Back up off my homie! Lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Jan 25 2013, 10:02 AM
Post #12

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,419

The moment Paulie retires, he shuld have a job lined up. I hate to say it, because I can't stand him as a fighter, but I kinda miss Tarver's commentary. HBO should give him a job.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 28 2013, 04:46 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 25 2013, 10:09 AM) *
Was I the only one that got the feeling that none of the commentators were all that interested in the card last weekend? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I guess, just hearing Bob Papa's voice or name scroll across the screen, just sucks the life out of me. He's not horrible...just boring as hell. I actually like Max Kellerman nowadays...couldn't stand him in the past.

I think he grew on me during the Morales/Maidana fight, or maybe its because it was only him and Lampley that night, and no disgruntled 3rd wheel at the announcer's table. At times, he put too much mustard on some of commentary last weekend, but overall, he's pretty solid. He does better when Roy's there though...him and Papa seemed lost at times.

Ward always does somewhat of a decent job, but from his tone, it sounded like he'd much rather have been some place else (at home resting that shoulder), but maybe thats just me. Lol. He sort of reminded me of Austin Trout's commentary, nothing special, but solid nonetheless.

he killed it with his bullshit leading questions and offering up excuses for a guy who didn't need them. that is what turned me off to merchant...he's gone now and max seems to be doing that same shit in his absence. i don't know if it's max or the idiot on the other side of the earpiece. either way...the words are coming out of max's mouth so he gets the disdain! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) also...his arrogance and dismissive ways towards rosado were not cool. i get that he picked golovkin to win by impressive ko...we all did...but damn! show the man some respect! he went in there and held his own and did much better than anyone anticipated. he'll be a force at 154 very soon.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 28 2013, 04:47 PM
Post #14

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 25 2013, 11:02 AM) *
The moment Paulie retires, he shuld have a job lined up. I hate to say it, because I can't stand him as a fighter, but I kinda miss Tarver's commentary. HBO should give him a job.

yes and yes!!! i'll also add mike tyson to that short list! mike knows boxing!!!

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jan 28 2013, 05:55 PM
Post #15

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 25 2013, 08:09 AM) *

I like Max. Used to hate him too at ESPN. But I think he has improved. I agree with the "follow the leader, pom-pom the HBO contracted fighter." It began with Lamply and never let up since. The question is, who at the higher ups has been telling HBO to bring out the pom-poms for the house fighter?

Pom Poming an opinion is not exclusive to HBO. I think Joe Tessetore is intimidated by Teddy Atlas. When is the last time he ever disagreed with him?

Even likeable guys like Al Albert and Sean O'Grady pom-pomed any fighter on USA Tuesday Night Fights. The two likeable, but agreeable parrots never met a mismatch they didn't like. Journeymen fighters brought in to lose were cited by Sean as being cagy veterens. Al Albert would set the pattern:

Al: "Amazing! Who would have thought Old Bozo Jones would be still be on his feet at the end of round 2! What punishment he's taking!"

Sean: "That's Bozo's courage Al, he has that wealth of ring experience that I talked about earlier. He's been in with some of the best fighters."

The powers that be won't let the commentators call Shit. Shit! And this was different with Merchant, because he wasn't afraid of what the higher ups thought of his opinions! What was the fight where he had that famouse quote, "Tonight, we brought you, JUNK!" LOL! That was classic! LOL!

Jack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 02:10 PM