Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andre Ward
philly31
post Mar 28 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #1

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,124

Now that GGG vs Chavez is almost done, and the winner of that likely gets the winner of Cotto vs Martinez, I think it's time for Ward to either move up to 175 or let his contract expire and fight on all networks, including ESPN (especially during football season) like stivern vs arreola is doing. Injuries aside, Ward should've been a ppv fighter by now but he can't even headline a fight outside of Oakland. After his HBO contact is up, I'm sure golden boy can co-promote Ward on a solid card at Barclay's or MGM. I could even see him as the co-main event on a Mayweather fight. And if a fight with Kovalev becomes an option at 175, I'm sure HBO will welcome him back like they did Cotto.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 28 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

What info are you privy to that has Julio making the MW limit again lol. If you mean if Gennady wins he'll target the winner of the fight between Miguel and Sergio but ain't no way in hell Julio making 160.

Ward is fine, you can't make people fight you when they don't want to. He's high risk low reward, end of story

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Mar 28 2014, 12:10 PM
Post #3

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (philly31 @ Mar 28 2014, 11:31 AM) *
Now that GGG vs Chavez is almost done, and the winner of that likely gets the winner of Cotto vs Martinez, I think it's time for Ward to either move up to 175 or let his contract expire and fight on all networks, including ESPN (especially during football season) like stivern vs arreola is doing. Injuries aside, Ward should've been a ppv fighter by now but he can't even headline a fight outside of Oakland. After his HBO contact is up, I'm sure golden boy can co-promote Ward on a solid card at Barclay's or MGM. I could even see him as the co-main event on a Mayweather fight. And if a fight with Kovalev becomes an option at 175, I'm sure HBO will welcome him back like they did Cotto.

I think Ward-Pascal is a good fight for Ward to take if he's to move up to 175. Pascal has a big canadian following, hes a world class fighter, and Ward would gain some good exposure. It would also make for a good fight and I think its a winnable fight for Ward's 175 debut.

It's looking like eventually Ward will end up bouncing between showtime and HBO as you said because its rumored that Pascal is considering signing with Haymon and Stevenson is on Showtime. As far as HBO goes I dont think Chavez/GGG or Froch (if he wins) will ever fight Ward. That takes 168 fighters on HBO out the equation where Badou Jack/J'Leon love/Periban/Bika rematch are some good stay busy fights Ward can take on Showtime at 168 (promo from floyd/TMT is also a win). I dont see what fights a 175 are winnable/marketable for Ward right now besides Ward/Pascal. Its too son to call Ward vs. Stevenson/Kovalev and those are bad ideas for 175 debuts. If Pascal signs w/Haymon, by the time Ward moves up, he'll most likely be on Showtime. So i can see ward moving to showtime to either fight Pascal at 175 or a 168 contender just to stay busy.

If Groves wins however, i can see Ward-Groves happening. Chavez/Degale are top 2 on the WBO's rankings and I HIGLY doubt that Abraham will continue to defend that title by the end of this year. Soa small 168 tourney on HBO could be possible. But again i dont think Chavez will ever fight AW.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Mar 28 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

It was good to see Andre Ward on that Angulo All Access. He just needs to make the full leap over to Showtime, I think he's taking the hints, he's already been verbal about it, and if it wasn't bothering him then he wouldn't say anything about it.

I think he knows if he just goes to showtime he doesn't have the opportunity to fight JCC and GGG like he wants to, since he know he can take both of those W's easy, he might be trying to NOT burn that bridge with HBO and fight for both HBO and Showtime. Very lucrative deal and smart to pull off if he can do it right, Ward is definitely a man of integrity though, so i rock with him. Whatever he needs to do to get back in the light, get the double company deal, come out with a shoe, and something else to build and his brand and he'll be gravy.

I dont think moving to 175 so fast is such a great idea, especially if you're gonna move up and fight the Champion first fight at 175. Kovelev i think would be a good first fight at 175, but definitely not Stevenson, gotta let the Stevenson fight Marinate...But at 168 Showtime IS where its at, other fighters at 168 were mentioned already but the one that stands out is Ward vs J'leon love. I remember Mayweather talking about it before, it would be cool to see it happen, Ward should be undisputed Champion at 168, can't let J'leon love no one near it, HELLLLLL NO

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Mar 28 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 28 2014, 10:10 AM) *
I think Ward-Pascal is a good fight for Ward to take if he's to move up to 175. Pascal has a big canadian following, hes a world class fighter, and Ward would gain some good exposure. It would also make for a good fight and I think its a winnable fight for Ward's 175 debut.

It's looking like eventually Ward will end up bouncing between showtime and HBO as you said because its rumored that Pascal is considering signing with Haymon and Stevenson is on Showtime. As far as HBO goes I dont think Chavez/GGG or Froch (if he wins) will ever fight Ward. That takes 168 fighters on HBO out the equation where Badou Jack/J'Leon love/Periban/Bika rematch are some good stay busy fights Ward can take on Showtime at 168 (promo from floyd/TMT is also a win). I dont see what fights a 175 are winnable/marketable for Ward right now besides Ward/Pascal. Its too son to call Ward vs. Stevenson/Kovalev and those are bad ideas for 175 debuts. If Pascal signs w/Haymon, by the time Ward moves up, he'll most likely be on Showtime. So i can see ward moving to showtime to either fight Pascal at 175 or a 168 contender just to stay busy.

If Groves wins however, i can see Ward-Groves happening. Chavez/Degale are top 2 on the WBO's rankings and I HIGLY doubt that Abraham will continue to defend that title by the end of this year. Soa small 168 tourney on HBO could be possible. But again i dont think Chavez will ever fight AW.

Lmao bad for who!?!

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Mar 28 2014, 02:08 PM
Post #6

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Mar 28 2014, 02:26 PM) *
Lmao bad for who!?!

For Ward. I favor Ward over both fighters but Stevenson and Kovalev are heavy hitters. Yea Ward is more technically sound but why would you move up in weight and immediately face the heavy hitters (especially off of a long layoff) if you never plan on going back down? Ward's made it clear that once he moves up theres no going back sp whats the rush? Feel the weight class out first. And if Ward does go after both and shits on both fighters then hey he's just that good.

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Mar 28 2014, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 28 2014, 12:08 PM) *
For Ward. I favor Ward over both fighters but Stevenson and Kovalev are heavy hitters. Yea Ward is more technically sound but why would you move up in weight and immediately face the heavy hitters (especially off of a long layoff) if you never plan on going back down? Ward's made it clear that once he moves up theres no going back sp whats the rush? Feel the weight class out first. And if Ward does go after both and shits on both fighters then hey he's just that good.

Critics and casual fans wouldn't let him live it down if he fought a janitor ...he just in that messed up of a situation

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 28 2014, 06:36 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

he needs to do something and quick, it'd be a shame to finally see him in the ring and he's finally just that little bit slower, and thats all it takes

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 28 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Who is Andre Ward?

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Mar 31 2014, 04:14 AM
Post #10

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 28 2014, 08:09 PM) *
Who is Andre Ward?

Exactlyyyy

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 03:17 PM