Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Promoting of Cuba's big 3
Jovi
post Jun 11 2013, 11:03 AM
Post #11

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,532

In my eyes its really just Lara just Rigondeaux, Gamboa signed his career away when he went with 50. Gamboa seems to have been on a decline since after his move up in weight, getting knocked down by jabs in both of his last fight, if he's getting knocked down by nobodies throwing jabs then he's lucky he hasn't gone in with a top competitor especially Brandon rios.

Rigondeaux and Lara both need more fights against top contenders, preferably other latino fighters. Rigondeaux vs Mares would be huge, Lara vs Cotto would be awesome too because i don't see Cotto backing off of Lara.

Put them together in some double headers or something if they can't headline by themselves, now its time for them to really earn their big big payday, just a few fights away. Put them in Miami and call Rigondeaux "Scarface" so things can heat up.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jun 11 2013, 11:20 AM
Post #12

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jun 11 2013, 12:03 PM) *
In my eyes its really just Lara just Rigondeaux, Gamboa signed his career away when he went with 50. Gamboa seems to have been on a decline since after his move up in weight, getting knocked down by jabs in both of his last fight, if he's getting knocked down by nobodies throwing jabs then he's lucky he hasn't gone in with a top competitor especially Brandon rios.

Rigondeaux and Lara both need more fights against top contenders, preferably other latino fighters. Rigondeaux vs Mares would be huge, Lara vs Cotto would be awesome too because i don't see Cotto backing off of Lara.

Put them together in some double headers or something if they can't headline by themselves, now its time for them to really earn their big big payday, just a few fights away. Put them in Miami and call Rigondeaux "Scarface" so things can heat up.

I don't think he's on the decline. He's more or less fighting the same way he did in the lower weights and it's not translating good into the bigger weights. He's been getting knocked down throughout his career so it's know surprise, it's just how he fights and so far no ones been able to solve him enough to make him feel that maybe he's doing something wrong.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 11 2013, 12:12 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 10 2013, 09:46 PM) *
Lara and Rigo both knocked off potential money makers in Donaire and Angulo. If Angulo was to win that fight, he would be in the run for either Cotto or Canelo. Why hold back fighters who fight the fight and deserve the shot. Gamboa at this point is 50's biggest star and is still undefeated, so I ask, if the problem here is a descent fan base, then why not(wishful thinking) Headline Lara in Miami against Peter Quillen. Or work out a Double header with SMS and throw Gamboa on the undercard against a formidable opponent that GBP can offer? Is fighting in Miami(FL) a bad market or what?

makes all the sense in the world to me. i don't see arum trying to make that happen though so 50 will be on his own. rigondeaux will be buried on arums undercards. lara probably has the best chance to get pushed. i wouldn't move him up to 160 to face quillen just yet. let him have his moment at 154 before that happens.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 11 2013, 12:38 PM
Post #14

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Jun 11 2013, 09:10 AM) *
Leveraging the Miami market sounds like a good plan, but how much does them being "dark skinned"Cubans come into play?

i didn't want to be the one to say it.

the cuban population in miami is primarily the "haves" aka whites that exiled and those that stayed were the "have nots" aka the blacks, so it's not like they welcome these guys with open arms.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 11 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 11 2013, 10:44 AM) *
Hmmm, I don't think it has so much to do with skin tone. It might, but I don't think so. Tito Trinidad IS the most popular fighter ever for puerto ricans and he just so happens to be dark. In fact there's a broad population of dark skin Latino/Latina's in most of those Latin nations so again, I don't think skin tone has much to do with it.

puerto rico's situation is different than cuba's, but make no mistake about it...there's still racism/favoritism within a lot of the latino cultures that have black segments of the population.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 11 2013, 12:41 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Jun 11 2013, 11:00 AM) *
My insight is limited, but I went to college in N. FL. While I did not meet any Cubans, many of my friends from Miami were 2nd and 3rd generation descendents of the various islands. Miami is a very racially fractured community. The few times I have been, to me it seems like they like down on you if you are dark or dont speak Spanish. And Cuba had a very tough racial history, with many of the money folks being very light skinned who associated more with their Spanish heritage and those were many of the people from whom Castro took power. And those constitute the monied conservative Republican S. FL Cuban base.

this.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jun 11 2013, 02:43 PM
Post #17

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

Damn, SMH in shame... True underdogs... I can respect that if it is the case. I guess we won't see those Cuban flags at these events unless they knockin off more legitimate prize fighters back to back. I was thinking it could be more political, since Cuba is communist and maybe these American networks don't wanna acknowledge the support of a communist nation like they would for others... But I had to stop myself and think HBOB is promoting that dude from China so I guess u guys sentiments make more sense lol

+Quote Post
flazi
post Jun 11 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #18

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

im one of these 'dark skinned' latins. from panama. in panama its a bit different, there isn't racism per se, but there is classism.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 11 2013, 06:57 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (flazi @ Jun 11 2013, 07:28 PM) *
im one of these 'dark skinned' latins. from panama. in panama its a bit different, there isn't racism per se, but there is classism.

this was aslemo moreno's ring entrance song when he fought mares. gets me pumped everytime i hear it.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Jun 11 2013, 06:58 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 11 2013, 07:05 PM
Post #20

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I think it has a lot to do with taxes, in regards to these fights being held in FL. I see these small cards on ESPN and ShowBox being held there, but rarely do I see the B.A.D., HBO Championship Boxing, or Showtime Boxing Championship Boxing cards being held there.

I mean the Miami Heat are in the Finals, so I wonder why promoters aren't taking advantage of that alone. Hell, have the fighters take pics with the team (or some of it's key players), or have them take part in some Heat stuff.

This is all easier said than done, by the way. I mean seriously, if Arum couldn't even squeeze pennies out of anything in FL or rub shoulders with some big time players (investors) to help promote his Cuban fighter(s), then that should tell us something. It may be something that requires too much work, with little reward...like cuffing a chick with daddy issues.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 03:43 AM