IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> should hbo just reel in jim lampley, or get rid of him altogether?
daprofessor
post Sep 7 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #31

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 6 2012, 09:11 PM) *
Im guessing that it went down when we started seeing these lackluster B.A.D. cards, and boxing politics took a real nosedive when promoters started getting wild hairs up their asses. As a result, in-house fights were shoved down the throats of boxing fans, not to mention that fighters lost their minds and division integrity when huge money became a big deal...especially when they haven't proved themselves.

Maybe this Democratic Convention has me adding extra mustard to this very post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I feel like I need to have a BIG, substantial, "vote for me" posted right now. Lol

man...i've been enjoying the ride. i guess i choose to look at the glass as half full. i mean...don't get me wrong...there's shit i don't like, especially about hbo and toprank....but there have been a shit load of good fights these last few years. this year in particular is delivering some very good fights. this weekend and next are prime examples.

focus on the positive.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 7 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #32

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 7 2012, 08:20 AM) *
LOL!!!

Lamps cheerleading's been there for the last ten years. But when the fights were good it blended in well because the fights were good. But now, it's like Lamps, if not the whole HBO crew would show up to watch and pom pom the HBO contracted fighter taking a shit! Yes, it's that biased. CShel's right, It's shoving the in-house fighter cards by Al Haymon, or Arum, or Oscar against C+ guys at best. The Ward-Gatti. Barrera-Morales, Pryor-Arguello classics of the past that defined this great sport and network personified what a great boxing network this used to be. I even remember back in the 80's or so when Arum showed Hagler fights, we didn't have cable back than and paid like about $5.00 for a hotel room and the desk clerk would be "how long do you want it?" And we'd be like, "I don't know, just till the fight's over and we'd get funny looks! hahahaha!" I remember seeing Hagler-Roldan that way.

The pom-poming is OK when the fights are great cuz it adds to the excitement. But when the fights aren't exciting, it becomes annoying. Like, we gotta see a tape delay of Klitchko against some nobody. WHY? Ward-Dawson is gonna be boring, but HBO's gotta go ga-ga-goo-goo over Ward. Lamply's epitaph is gonna read, "I never met an HBO contracted fighter I didn't love." I'm telling you, ever since Lou Dibella left the HBO boxing program, the sport has turned to house-fighter pom-poming instead of the mostly great fights that HBO had under the Dibella banner. Shit! Lou even wrote to me once and apologized for showing the Jones-Frazier farce. Not saying the fights are quite that bad. but without Dibella it's not the same. Great fights that Lou would have on HBO are now almost all PPV.

Jack

yeah...i get the complaints about hbo and i somewhat agree.

but i can't act like there hasn't been good fights on.

let me count the ways.....

golovkin/proska

chavez/lee

garcia/khan

floyd/cotto

martinez/macklin/and the other dudes he's been ko'ing

these are the hbo fights that i've enjoyed lately. but showtime has been holding it down imo. they are my favorite network. even with their friday night cards with up and coming talent. they do not disappoint.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Sep 7 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #33

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 7 2012, 02:17 PM) *
yeah...i get the complaints about hbo and i somewhat agree.

but i can't act like there hasn't been good fights on.

let me count the ways.....

golovkin/proska

chavez/lee

garcia/khan

floyd/cotto

martinez/macklin/and the other dudes he's been ko'ing

these are the hbo fights that i've enjoyed lately. but showtime has been holding it down imo. they are my favorite network. even with their friday night cards with up and coming talent. they do not disappoint.

I agree!

Good fights coming up and those that have happened strike a balance with the biased commentary. And there is something about the status of the HBO crew that goes back historically and has a sense of longevity that the Showtime team tries, but just can't match. Remember that for all of Lamps criticism, when a fight is classic action, he's the best for drama since the days of Cosell. Even though I always believe that Howard got into boxing because of Ali and Leonard.

There are two examples of fights where Lamply blew the call:

Douglas-Tyson-He's not dramatic enough for the moment. Col Bob Sheridan has the best call of that fight!

Tarver-Jones II: Yakking away when Jones was unconscious on the floor was a blown call. It was shocking and unbelievable! Tarver's pre-fight line "Got any excuses tonight Roy" was great!

Jack

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 7 2012, 08:10 PM
Post #34

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 7 2012, 08:46 PM) *
I agree!

Good fights coming up and those that have happened strike a balance with the biased commentary. And there is something about the status of the HBO crew that goes back historically and has a sense of longevity that the Showtime team tries, but just can't match. Remember that for all of Lamps criticism, when a fight is classic action, he's the best for drama since the days of Cosell. Even though I always believe that Howard got into boxing because of Ali and Leonard.

Douglas-Tyson-He's not dramatic enough for the moment. Col Bob Sheridan has the best call of that fight!

Tarver-Jones II: Yakking away when Jones was unconscious on the floor was a blown call. It was shocking and unbelievable! Tarver's pre-fight line "Got any excuses tonight Roy" was great!

Jack

i have to disagree on that. showtimes crews are solid. all of them. hbo with lampley and merchant have been unbearable to me since dlh/trinidad.

bernstein/tarver/and the other dude are my favorite hands down.

poppa with jones and kellerman are good.

barry tompkins/the jewish guy...i can't remember his name....they're good too.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Sep 12 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #35

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Just to have a little fun with this thread!

Many of us have been on the HBO landscape for 15-20 years or more! In keeping with the subject of this thread, do a little play on words as to how the HBO crew will pom-pom Saturday night? What will we here from them that may shrink their biased commentary to new lows? Or as this is Chavez and Martinez two HBO stars, will HBO be fair to Martinez? I doubt it. It seems like HBO's nut-hugging gets worse with every fight.

Seriously, I wonder if sometimes Lamply and the crew aren't sleeping with the judges! We talk about biased-judging, but how does biased announcing factor into this, especially to protect the HBO contracted fighter? (Pacquiao, Delahoya, Mayweather, Jones. and now likely Chavez.) Will Lamply be fair to Martinez?

Jack

PS. Showtime's good. But back when Tyson was on the network, they were stroking up to him like bees on honey and were VERY, VERY, PRO DON KING, especially Czyz and Pacheco. I wonder who the higher ups are that tell the commentators to say favorable biased things for the fighter on their network? Or are they doing it on their own accord? Truth is, you start biting the hand that feeds you, you're job could be on the line. Merchant got suspended from HBO for a telecast for saying that "Delahoya's entrance music, sucks." I think Ross Greenberg was responsible for that, but can't be sure.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 12 2012, 04:45 PM
Post #36

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 7 2012, 07:46 PM) *
I agree!

Jack

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 7 2012, 08:10 PM) *
i have to disagree on that. showtimes crews are solid. all of them. hbo with lampley and merchant have been unbearable to me since dlh/trinidad.

bernstein/tarver/and the other dude are my favorite hands down.

poppa with jones and kellerman are good.

barry tompkins/the jewish guy...i can't remember his name....they're good too.

I have to agree with you here. Even though HBO has that feel that they are the network for boxing they act like their crew is bigger then the sport. And it seems like showtime seems to appreciative boxing and its fighters way more. And if their is some bull shit going on they seem to call people out on it.

If golden boy keeps putting on these really good cards on showtime we might see the passing of the torch

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 12 2012, 06:06 PM
Post #37

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 12 2012, 04:55 PM) *

Many of us have been on the HBO landscape for 15-20 years or more! In keeping with the subject of this thread, do a little play on words as to how the HBO crew will pom-pom Saturday night? What will we here from them that may shrink their biased commentary to new lows? Or as this is Chavez and Martinez two HBO stars, will HBO be fair to Martinez? I doubt it. It seems like HBO's nut-hugging gets worse with every fight.

Seriously, I wonder if sometimes Lamply and the crew aren't sleeping with the judges! We talk about biased-judging, but how does biased announcing factor into this, especially to protect the HBO contracted fighter? (Pacquiao, Delahoya, Mayweather, Jones. and now likely Chavez.) Will Lamply be fair to Martinez?

Jack

PS. Showtime's good. But back when Tyson was on the network, they were stroking up to him like bees on honey and were VERY, VERY, PRO DON KING, especially Czyz and Pacheco. I wonder who the higher ups are that tell the commentators to say favorable biased things for the fighter on their network? Or are they doing it on their own accord? Truth is, you start biting the hand that feeds you, you're job could be on the line. Merchant got suspended from HBO for a telecast for saying that "Delahoya's entrance music, sucks." I think Ross Greenberg was responsible for that, but can't be sure.

what we can expect...

from lampley: big right hand!!! (where there is none)

from merchant: martinez is a boring fighter...blah,blah,blah...(but he'll compliment him on his looks and physique (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

from kellerman: he'll bug his eyes at some point and over emphasize what he's saying to drive a point.

from steward: this is exactly the way i knew it would go....

from lederman: well jim...i don't understand...blah,blah,blah...be that as it may...i have chavez winning because he's aggressive and martinez is just running.

from compubox: very inaccurate numbers as usual.

make no mistake about it...martinez is going to have to put chavez to sleep if he wants to win by decision. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 12 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #38

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 12 2012, 04:55 PM) *

Jack

showtime has snatched the torch from hbo and is running with it. their commentary last weekend was horrible. the mma announcer along with lil' but bad stevie johnston need to go. bring back tarver. if hbo was able to look past lampleys weed smoking and woman beating....showtime should be able to look past tarvers positive test.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 12 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #39

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 12 2012, 07:06 PM) *
what we can expect...

from lampley: big right hand!!! (where there is none)

from merchant: martinez is a boring fighter...blah,blah,blah...(but he'll compliment him on his looks and physique (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

from kellerman: he'll bug his eyes at some point and over emphasize what he's saying to drive a point.

from steward: this is exactly the way i knew it would go....

from lederman: well jim...i don't understand...blah,blah,blah...be that as it may...i have chavez winning because he's aggressive and martinez is just running.

from compubox: very inaccurate numbers as usual.

make no mistake about it...martinez is going to have to put chavez to sleep if he wants to win by decision. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Hahaha! That didn't even work in the Cintron fight, he got a draw

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Sep 12 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #40

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 12 2012, 03:55 PM) *

Jack

what???

out of all the things merchant has said about boxers, he got suspended for that?

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 01:54 PM