IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> if you were a black fighter...would you sign with bob arum?
daprofessor
post Jan 3 2013, 01:59 AM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 3 2013, 01:21 AM) *
If I was a pro fighter or looking to turn pro, I'd roll with Haymon. He is clearly the manager/adviser who knows and does what it takes to nurture a talent and that just so happens to be mostly black fighters.

I'd never sign with TR and any black fighter who does deserves rotting in the wasteland they put themselves in. Arum has done numerous interviews where he claims that blacks don't buy ppv's which is total bs, but everyone knows you aint about to sell black folks a line of shit and think they gon go for it. Why would blacks continuously shell out their hard earned money to see fighters that don't resemble them. You have to make an effort to appeal to different markets, and Arum only goes after one demographic

Arum is the Mitt Romey of boxing. When Todd Duboef takes over TR will be different, until then people can expect what they're getting now. Dibella, Shaw..I would sign to them even though there a smaller company. Kathy Duva and Main Events is a company I'd sign to as well

that's it....why would any black fighter sign with him and think that things are going to be different for them? all it takes is a little research to figure it out. arum had floyd mayweather who he called one of the greatest ever...and even said he was better than ali and leonard...and how did that promotion work for floyd? he still took back seat to arums other fighters.

i agree....i'd sign with dibella, main events, shaw all before i would sign with top rank. gbp hasn't proved to be much better....but the jury is still out on them when it comes to promoting black fighters.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 3 2013, 02:05 AM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 2 2013, 10:48 PM) *
Where else would they go. Don King is a crook and GBP is for the Mexican boxer. Other promoters are too small to really get their name out. 50 maybe the answer but he already has beef with GBP and they have a lot of good fighters. Arum seems to be willing to promote people who enjoy getting bent over and smiling while getting bent over. The question is how can they promote themselves? One thing I respect about Oscar, Cotto, and May is that when they got off of the plantation and left their slave master they went in for themselves. They became the middle man and they have benefited greatly. Al Haymon seems to be doing well for African Americans but he is the minority of boxing promoters. The thing is more boxers need to learn and become experts of the business side of boxing so they can have their own promotion companies and be able to offer other boxers greater revenue than TR and other promotional companies.

haymon has to be first option. dibella, main events and shaw are all options too. i'd rather see boxers focus on fighting and align themselves with the ppl that can guide them to the top. there are plenty of regional promoters that can get a fighter to the 10-15 and 0 mark before they have to sign with a bigger promoter. it is wise for a boxer to learn the business as his career progresses.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 3 2013, 02:06 AM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 2 2013, 10:51 PM) *
the question is if you were any fighter would you sell your soul to the devil lol

i guess that's what i'm getting at....signing with arum (if u are black) is like signing with the devil himself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Jan 3 2013, 05:26 AM
Post #14

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

[quote name='Kratza' date='Jan 2 2013, 02:14 PM' post='571838']
With me being half and half i consider myself more black than white which im sure most of society does although its not true, i think i would sign to TR over GBP but i'd join Al Haymon over anything if i had the chance, it seems evident that Top Rank is better at promoting young fighters than GBP but i also think Al Haymon is the best at promoting young black fighter and Haymon is where the money is and any fighter who signs with him has a chance at money and stardom and thats my reasoning

I see where you're going with the last time he promoted a black fighter but technically Gamboa, Rigondeaux and Fortuna are black fighters although they are not african-americans they all come from african descent

With Tim Bradley i don't really think he would have featured in any of Bob's plans whether he was black, white, green or blue and so thats why i think he's struggling to fight big names and get a big payday although on paper he just beat one of the best fighters in the world.
[/quote

Totally disagree with everything you said. Arum is the one that told Floyd Mayweather hed never be a PPV star. You say he develops good young fighters. Jessie Vargas would disagree with that statement. He went from fighting on Mayweather undercards to fighting on ESPN FNFs on a Thursday by the way.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Jan 3 2013, 09:37 AM
Post #15

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 2 2013, 10:51 PM) *
the question is if you were any fighter would you sell your soul to the devil lol

THIS!!! I wouldn't sign with him period but especially not as an African American. Good topic by the way. Not too many people point this out

This post has been edited by Franchize: Jan 3 2013, 09:38 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 3 2013, 10:53 AM
Post #16

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I signed with TR around the same time that Bradley did...and I'm still on the shelf, posting on FightHype forums and such. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Jan 3 2013, 11:55 AM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Kratza @ Jan 2 2013, 04:14 PM) *
With me being half and half i consider myself more black than white which im sure most of society does although its not true, i think i would sign to TR over GBP but i'd join Al Haymon over anything if i had the chance, it seems evident that Top Rank is better at promoting young fighters than GBP but i also think Al Haymon is the best at promoting young black fighter and Haymon is where the money is and any fighter who signs with him has a chance at money and stardom and thats my reasoning

I see where you're going with the last time he promoted a black fighter but technically Gamboa, Rigondeaux and Fortuna are black fighters although they are not african-americans they all come from african descent

With Tim Bradley i don't really think he would have featured in any of Bob's plans whether he was black, white, green or blue and so thats why i think he's struggling to fight big names and get a big payday although on paper he just beat one of the best fighters in the world.

Gamboa bolted, although he ended up with SMS who seem to be co-promoting with TR, but he definitely had enough.
Rigondeaux, IMO, is getting the short end of the stick. A man of his talents and legendary amateur career should be marketed to the fullest extent. In today's world of hyper-marketing/merchandising, stars aren't born, they're created.
Fortuna, let's see...

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Jan 3 2013, 11:56 AM

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Jan 3 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #18

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 2 2013, 06:31 PM) *
no arguments on that. i agree, but are/were they being promoted by arum? gamboa had that fall out with arum over not wanting to extend his contract...and arum trying to serve him up to rios who is a physically bigger fighter but much lower skill level. that is an illustration of a promoter not exactly looking out for gamboa's best interest. ridondeaux has a title...and is a two time gold medalist!!! this guy is definitely something special...and arum really isn't pushing him.

i agree with ur take on haymon...he's definitely filling a void left by don king who knew how to promote any fighter.

technically...he is promoting gamboa even though 50 bought out his contract...and rigondeaux...but i can't help but think they should be bigger stars. let's not forget...the peterson brothers were both signed with arum. they really took back seat in that company. so did zahir raheem, joshua clottey and what ever happened to that black jewish guy he promoted anthony 'the messenger' thompson?

i can't help but think that arums plans with pac/bradley failed and bradley became the casualty in all of that. i don't see any real push for him to promote bradley and i seriously doubt bradley is going to flourish under him. i hope i'm wrong...but the pattern exists. i would be totally shocked if arum started putting on some 'black power' cards similar to the ones he was doing with donaire and his 'pinoy power' cards. i won't hold my breath.

Agreed with entire post.

I just cant see past a fight with Marquez what else Arum can do for him?

While we all know Arum loves to recycle TR fighters for his money fighter, I still dont see him as that.. in fact, imo he lost stock with his move to Arum and lost even more with his win against Pac. (Confusing I know)..

Arum is starting to lose star power with his guys and needs to invest heavily into Bradley starting NOW. He needs to be the man to beat and honestly, nobody gives a shit who he is other than us boxin folks. It was a gamble on Tim's side to Join TR, all he wanted was Pac. Well, he got Pac, got his payday, got the nod,.. but he lost the fight, and lost his Marketability (for now).

Black fighter or not, a move to Arum is like a deal with the devil.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 3 2013, 01:52 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 3 2013, 11:53 AM) *
I signed with TR around the same time that Bradley did...and I'm still on the shelf, posting on FightHype forums and such. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

u should buy out ur contract. how much u think it will take?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 3 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 3 2013, 01:01 PM) *
Agreed with entire post.

I just cant see past a fight with Marquez what else Arum can do for him?

While we all know Arum loves to recycle TR fighters for his money fighter, I still dont see him as that.. in fact, imo he lost stock with his move to Arum and lost even more with his win against Pac. (Confusing I know)..

Arum is starting to lose star power with his guys and needs to invest heavily into Bradley starting NOW. He needs to be the man to beat and honestly, nobody gives a shit who he is other than us boxin folks. It was a gamble on Tim's side to Join TR, all he wanted was Pac. Well, he got Pac, got his payday, got the nod,.. but he lost the fight, and lost his Marketability (for now).

Black fighter or not, a move to Arum is like a deal with the devil.

he did right by pavlik in the beginning...

he did right by yuri foreman...

he did right by cotto in the beginning...

he should have dropped margarito a loooooooong time ago but rode that one until the wheels fell off...

he's promoting the shit out of donaire....how the fuck is he fighter of the year for beating 4 guys who had zero chance of winning?

he promoted the shit out of chavez too!

if you're white or latino...u got a better chance with arum and u don't exactly have to have a clean cut image.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 02:50 PM