IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@10:15PM(ET)/7:15PM(PT) Bradley vs. Provodnikov, No New Spoiler Threads or Public Streams
Jack 1000
post Mar 25 2013, 06:10 PM
Post #231

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 25 2013, 05:27 PM) *
I smiled from ear to ear when Andre Ward said "No offense but, I don't want to be on the Gatti List." I get that people want to see blows traded but every fight can't be Gatti v Ward. The more fighters are bred for fights like that, the further the deterioration and elimination of skilled fighters becomes ever prevalent. The Sweet Science is gradually become Bitter Mathematics. Who can punch the most and the hardest. I know people want to see exciting fights, but don't we also want to see the skills that these guys get paid to hone? I mean we pay hard earned money to see guys whose sole livelihood is boxing. Then, instead of seeing a fighter with refined, cultivated skills, I see guys brawling like someone televised Bum Fights. It's like Hip-Hop. In the 90's, you had a few gimmick rappers but for the most part, to be recognized, you had to be good. Now, EVERYONE pretty much follows the "cheesy way out" route. Also, like hip-hop, everyone is allowed to have their preferences. That being said, real is always supposed to recognize real. You pay homage to greatness and true talent, regardless if it's your cup of tea. I grew up in NY. I'm a huge fan of Jay-Z. I never was really big on Pac. That being said, I'm not going to act like Pac is wack or try to downplay how nice he was. I'm not going to shit on his accomplishments or downplay his impact on the culture. I feel HBO tries to shit on anything that isn't Larry Merchant style boxing. If you aren't beating each other to a bloody pulp. If you aren't trying to take a guy's head off with every punch. If you don't allow yourself to be pummeled to a bloody pulp. Then you aren't a good boxer. Ironically, none of that shit has anything to do with boxing. That's brawling. Like Apollo Creed said in Rocky 3, there's a difference between someone who fights great and a great fighter!

Good points!

But when Max Kellerman was with ESPN on FNF, he literally had a gay love relationship with Pernell Whitaker and Zab Judah that was just as well-known as Lamply's cheerleading for the HBO contracted fighter, or in later years' Merchant's dislike for the "Slick Boxer." Which raises the question, has Kellerman been brain-washed by the higher ups at HBO to conform to the house' "slugging fighter" mentality, completely moving away from his constant praise of Whitiker and Judah, or maybe any elusive boxer? Is Max being conditioned by HBO to say what the network wants him to say, and this is turning him into a Larry Merchant clone?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 25 2013, 06:40 PM
Post #232

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 25 2013, 06:27 PM) *
I smiled from ear to ear when Andre Ward said "No offense but, I don't want to be on the Gatti List." I get that people want to see blows traded but every fight can't be Gatti v Ward. The more fighters are bred for fights like that, the further the deterioration and elimination of skilled fighters becomes ever prevalent. The Sweet Science is gradually become Bitter Mathematics. Who can punch the most and the hardest. I know people want to see exciting fights, but don't we also want to see the skills that these guys get paid to hone? I mean we pay hard earned money to see guys whose sole livelihood is boxing. Then, instead of seeing a fighter with refined, cultivated skills, I see guys brawling like someone televised Bum Fights. It's like Hip-Hop. In the 90's, you had a few gimmick rappers but for the most part, to be recognized, you had to be good. Now, EVERYONE pretty much follows the "cheesy way out" route. Also, like hip-hop, everyone is allowed to have their preferences. That being said, real is always supposed to recognize real. You pay homage to greatness and true talent, regardless if it's your cup of tea. I grew up in NY. I'm a huge fan of Jay-Z. I never was really big on Pac. That being said, I'm not going to act like Pac is wack or try to downplay how nice he was. I'm not going to shit on his accomplishments or downplay his impact on the culture. I feel HBO tries to shit on anything that isn't Larry Merchant style boxing. If you aren't beating each other to a bloody pulp. If you aren't trying to take a guy's head off with every punch. If you don't allow yourself to be pummeled to a bloody pulp. Then you aren't a good boxer. Ironically, none of that shit has anything to do with boxing. That's brawling. Like Apollo Creed said in Rocky 3, there's a difference between someone who fights great and a great fighter!

amen. except...i'm not a big jay z fan. i appreciate guys like nas, rakim and krs much more. i get what you're saying about 2pac though and i agree.

arum, larry merchant, jim lampley, thomas hauser and a couple of shitty boxing websites and their shill/hack writers all created this shit storm for hbo. they deserve to suck as hard as they're going to for the next few years.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 25 2013, 06:43 PM
Post #233

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 25 2013, 07:10 PM) *
Good points!

But when Max Kellerman was with ESPN on FNF, he literally had a gay love relationship with Pernell Whitaker and Zab Judah that was just as well-known as Lamply's cheerleading for the HBO contracted fighter, or in later years' Merchant's dislike for the "Slick Boxer." Which raises the question, has Kellerman been brain-washed by the higher ups at HBO to conform to the house' "slugging fighter" mentality, completely moving away from his constant praise of Whitiker and Judah, or maybe any elusive boxer? Is Max being conditioned by HBO to say what the network wants him to say, and this is turning him into a Larry Merchant clone?

Jack

very good questions!!! i was with max on his praise of whitaker and zab pre-kt. they were both very special fighters worthy of praise. once whitaker retired and zab didn't have his example in the gym...he went down defensively. i think max knows boxing more than both lamps and merchant. he's just become jaded by being in their presence.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 25 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #234

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

Good points!

Jack

If they can brain wash the late great Manny Steward, surely they can brainwash Kellerman. After a while, I'd listen to Emmanuel Steward's commentary like "is this guy serious right now?" The only guy that seems to be unflappable is Roy Jones Jr.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 25 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #235

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 25 2013, 05:18 PM) *
amen.

i have said it time and time again....lampley and merchant have shit on ppls careers repeatedly over the years and it is wrong! it's why i have disdain for these armchair quarterbacks and their agendas. there are plenty of internet hacks to do the same on a lower level. when i hear fans repeating their bullshit i have to laugh. i also make it a point to paint a different picture or give them a different perspective on what they believe to be truth. hbo has been bad for boxing precisely because of this for quite some time.

i've always liked bradley. i've always recognized his abilities and i realized a long time ago that he was something special. the fact that he did not fold under all this pressure speaks volumes imo. hopefully he doesn't sacrifice any more of himself to appease the piece of shits like lampley and kellerman. fuck making the gatti list and fuck lampley, merchant, kellerman and the piece of shit speaking to them in the ear piece.

Hate to break it to ya Professor, but it seems as though he's already made that list. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

But when Max Kellerman was with ESPN on FNF, he literally had a gay love relationship with Pernell Whitaker and Zab Judah that was just as well-known as Lamply's cheerleading for the HBO contracted fighter,

Ha! I forgot how sweet Kellerman was on Whitaker back in the day. Lol

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 25 2013, 08:33 PM) *
If they can brain wash the late great Manny Steward, surely they can brainwash Kellerman. After a while, I'd listen to Emmanuel Steward's commentary like "is this guy serious right now?" The only guy that seems to be unflappable is Roy Jones Jr.

Uhhh...maybe because no one can really understand what Roy says half the time anyway. Hell, I could barely understand what Steward used to say, ONLY when he got excited. Roy just talks too damn fast and he's too damn country to push an agenda. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 25 2013, 09:10 PM
Post #236

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 25 2013, 03:05 PM) *
true dat. plus taking off all that weight in a short period of time isn't good either.

I'm hoping that now that he's finally got another fight under his belt and the fans are giving him some praise that he won't balloon up in weight like that again

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Mar 26 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #237

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Bradley better take his PILLOW FISTED ASS BACK TO 140

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 26 2013, 07:53 AM
Post #238

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

Its like all sports, it morphs into what the public thinks it wants and it is run by people who never played the sport. Football is turning into a passing league and two hand touch. You can't touch the quarterback you can't hit hard, it makes the 70 and 80s football look like gladiator. Basketball is a shooting contest, no defense just dunking and shooting. No one takes pride in steals or shut down defense. Not even passing is looked as being an asset to the game. Baseball is about home runs. Boxing is not longer about hitting and not getting hit. It is trying to turn into Rocky movies. Eventually they are going to want someone to die in the ring in order for it to be exciting. I think HBO is lost right now. They have no idea what direction they want to go in. Lampley has turned into a bitter sardonic asshole. Kellerman tries so hard to be cutting edge and Ward wants to fit in while Jones says whatever the hell he wants to say. I am a bit taken back. They are not fans of the sport they are critics, I think one of the reason why Floyd left was he got tired of being shitted on by a company that he makes big time money for. Showtime they are fans of the sport.

To the Bradley and Ruslan fight, sadly if this fight wasn't a war and Bradley boxed the HBO cheerleaders would only focus on the seats being empty (which Lampley could not help but to keep mentioning throughout the fight) and how Pac was cheated. Or they would just ignore the fight and talk about their other upcoming fights. I honestly do not understand how they continue to rip apart certain fighters. Neither Kellerman or Lampley ever laced them up. Tim showed a ton of heart and stupidity and Ruslan fought his Russian ass off. My hats off to both guys as much as I like fights like they displayed I would rather see them around for the next five years with their senses in tact, fighting smarter fights.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 26 2013, 08:03 AM
Post #239

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 26 2013, 08:53 AM) *
Its like all sports, it morphs into what the public thinks it wants and it is run by people who never played the sport. Football is turning into a passing league and two hand touch. You can't touch the quarterback you can't hit hard, it makes the 70 and 80s football look like gladiator. Basketball is a shooting contest, no defense just dunking and shooting. No one takes pride in steals or shut down defense. Not even passing is looked as being an asset to the game. Baseball is about home runs. Boxing is not longer about hitting and not getting hit. It is trying to turn into Rocky movies. Eventually they are going to want someone to die in the ring in order for it to be exciting. I think HBO is lost right now. They have no idea what direction they want to go in. Lampley has turned into a bitter sardonic asshole. Kellerman tries so hard to be cutting edge and Ward wants to fit in while Jones says whatever the hell he wants to say. I am a bit taken back. They are not fans of the sport they are critics, I think one of the reason why Floyd left was he got tired of being shitted on by a company that he makes big time money for. Showtime they are fans of the sport.

To the Bradley and Ruslan fight, sadly if this fight wasn't a war and Bradley boxed the HBO cheerleaders would only focus on the seats being empty (which Lampley could not help but to keep mentioning throughout the fight) and how Pac was cheated. Or they would just ignore the fight and talk about their other upcoming fights. I honestly do not understand how they continue to rip apart certain fighters. Neither Kellerman or Lampley ever laced them up. Tim showed a ton of heart and stupidity and Ruslan fought his Russian ass off. My hats off to both guys as much as I like fights like they displayed I would rather see them around for the next five years with their senses in tact, fighting smarter fights.

Solid post Dolimite...I couldn't agree more.

Sadly, if a fighter were to die in the ring and the issue became big enough (translation: If a known fighter dies in the ring), then it will only bring more attention to the sport, rather than turn them away.

I have to agree with your comment about Showtime being FANS of the sport...those guys (commentators) enjoy the fights more than I do! And yes, the way sports is played today, it makes old school sports look so barbaric. LOL

I gotta appreciate RJJ being on the team...he pretty much calls a fight how he sees it and isn't afraid to be in the minority. Had he been present to call Bradley/Pac (the same he called Bradley/Provodnikov), then the fans would have a different view of the ending results. Roy was calling A LOT of Tim's shots a couple of weeks ago....something Lampley didn't care much to do.

Again, solid post my man.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 26 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #240

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 25 2013, 08:40 PM) *
Hate to break it to ya Professor, but it seems as though he's already made that list. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

yeah...u may be right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 07:36 PM