Reply to this topicStart new topic
> U Gotta luv 50, he's trying
Cshel86
post Dec 20 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

The only thing that will push this idea to it's greatest potential, is highlight reels/promo videos.

Promos like this, get casual fans excited about an upcoming fight.

I agree that the new generation of fighters lack personality, either that, or they lack the confidence to talk the shit that they REALLY want to talk about their opponents. Seriously though, we have the spin doctors (HBO nuthuggers) and those mindless pundits that Cheesey talked about...how hard would it be to build a good guy and bad guy?

Not hard at all, I can imagine. Again, network crews need to take more time with these highlight reels and make better promo videos. Not only that, but it needs to be on more networks than the one that the fight will be aired on.

I swear I almost hit the "buy" button when I see those WWE promos for their PPVs. Anybody remember the old days of wrestling when you had Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker, Kane, Mankind, and many others? Those were classic promos and I SWEAR I almost want to google those events after I see the promos.

Boxing is falling under the radar for unnecessary reasons. If guys like Gorilla Productions (You Tube sensations) can out together epic promos for free, then why in the fuck can't these network employees do it? That goes back to networks needing to hire people with a pulse, and not those "I'm just waiting for my retirement pension" douche bags who put this garbage out there for viewers to see.

No matter how over the top a promo can be, fact is, these guys still have to get in there and punch the shit out of each other. Im ready to see real fighters in the ring, not these poo-butt ass fighters who are afraid to fight real competition, because their chances of landing a big fight could possibly be jeopardized. Fuck that, fight whoever and beat their asses...the respect will come. Instead, we have guys going the Al Haymon route.

We have guys like Broner who comes to pressers in shades, gaudy jewelry, and shades and shit, but he's facing overmatched guys like Escebedo, Perez, and so on. That's just another classic example of some of these guys acting like they've already made it, and they haven't even faced anybody. Then they get fleeced by an lesser fighter, and start the retirement talks.

Boxing is all out of order...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BoxingThrone
post Dec 20 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #12

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,783

I don't think the WWE experience would work well in boxing. Moreso than the ring action, WWE is driven on the storyline, the soap opera aspect and the in-ring interviews. It's really entertainment first, sports second.

Boxing is mostly all about the fight. I go to the fights to see the fight ... not hear music or interviews (ring card girls always provide a nice diversion though). I think that a show like HBO's 24/7 does a nice enough job creating an interesting back-story. Fabricated "beef" is lame. It's lame in hip-hop & it would be lame in boxing.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Dec 20 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #13

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Dec 20 2012, 08:13 AM) *
I think we boxers are just to nice in this era..

Smiling and laughing after you just got knocked out,..tapping gloves after every other round,.. whispering sweet nothings during the stare at press conferences...

I can go on but what the sport needs is more bad guy personalities. Someone for the people to hate and be made to respect. Im kinda liking Keith Therman,.. rough around the edges, smart, decent pop,.. and calls everyone out..

WWE has the perfect combination of Good vs. Bad. And thats what boxing needs..

Tell me folkes, if Floyed and Canelo take place who would be looked at as the good guy? Even though he hasnt proved half of what FLoyed has in the sport?

Or better yet, if kirkland would have kept himself in line and remained knocking guys out left and right, he coulda been the throwback tyson type guy.. who wouldnt buy a Trout Kirkland match? Or Canelo? Idk..

So yea, in a way i kinda agree wit 50

TRUUUU! Pacquiao just sued Mayweather for defamation of character and if you notice Floyd isnt even as entertaining with the trash talk as he used to be as a result SMFH unbelievable. This is a contact sport! Trash is to be talked!

Guys like Floyd, Broner, Angel Garcia, Zab Judah, Peter Quillin, Bradley, Uncle Roger... they make this fight game entertaining.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Dec 20 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #14

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 20 2012, 10:34 AM) *
The only thing that will push this idea to it's greatest potential, is highlight reels/promo videos.

Promos like this, get casual fans excited about an upcoming fight.

I agree that the new generation of fighters lack personality, either that, or they lack the confidence to talk the shit that they REALLY want to talk about their opponents. Seriously though, we have the spin doctors (HBO nuthuggers) and those mindless pundits that Cheesey talked about...how hard would it be to build a good guy and bad guy?

Not hard at all, I can imagine. Again, network crews need to take more time with these highlight reels and make better promo videos. Not only that, but it needs to be on more networks than the one that the fight will be aired on.

I swear I almost hit the "buy" button when I see those WWE promos for their PPVs. Anybody remember the old days of wrestling when you had Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker, Kane, Mankind, and many others? Those were classic promos and I SWEAR I almost want to google those events after I see the promos.

Boxing is falling under the radar for unnecessary reasons. If guys like Gorilla Productions (You Tube sensations) can out together epic promos for free, then why in the fuck can't these network employees do it? That goes back to networks needing to hire people with a pulse, and not those "I'm just waiting for my retirement pension" douche bags who put this garbage out there for viewers to see.

No matter how over the top a promo can be, fact is, these guys still have to get in there and punch the shit out of each other. Im ready to see real fighters in the ring, not these poo-butt ass fighters who are afraid to fight real competition, because their chances of landing a big fight could possibly be jeopardized. Fuck that, fight whoever and beat their asses...the respect will come. Instead, we have guys going the Al Haymon route.

We have guys like Broner who comes to pressers in shades, gaudy jewelry, and shades and shit, but he's facing overmatched guys like Escebedo, Perez, and so on. That's just another classic example of some of these guys acting like they've already made it, and they haven't even faced anybody. Then they get fleeced by an lesser fighter, and start the retirement talks.

Boxing is all out of order...

I agree and the fact that world titles dont have the same essence and value that they used to have i think affect fighters and how bad their "bad intentions" truly are going into the fight. When you have a silver belt, diamond belt, regular champ, champ in emeritus, super champ, latino champ, or when youre 0-3-1 and cans still get a title shot i think these fights lose their intensity. Boxers dont pride themselves or want it as bad as they used to. Thats why i respect Martinez so much. Guuys like Ward and Martinez.. their attitude, bad intentions going into the fight.. even though they dont trash talk you can feel the passion. That essence of wanting to be a champion..

+Quote Post
Kratza
post Dec 20 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #15

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,360

Im against it, boxing is fine the way it is, some people trash talk some people dont. I really don't want to see anything scripted in boxing, leave it alone

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 20 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Kratza @ Dec 20 2012, 07:10 PM) *
Im against it, boxing is fine the way it is, some people trash talk some people dont. I really don't want to see anything scripted in boxing, leave it alone

this!

leave the theatrics for the bullshit. i don't mind the extravagant/entertaining ring entrances... but let it be. it's perfect the way it is.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Dec 20 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

As the motto goes, "you don't play boxing". Just me but I wouldn't want to risk losing focus working on ring walks or worrying about theatrics and then get ktfod.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 20 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #18

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 20 2012, 08:46 PM) *
As the motto goes, "you don't play boxing". Just me but I wouldn't want to risk losing focus working on ring walks or worrying about theatrics and then get ktfod.

that's part of the coolness of ring walks. who remembers prince nazim or cory spinks? roy jones with redman and method man when roy got dropped by devalle? them shits are fun/funny.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Dec 20 2012, 08:57 PM

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Dec 20 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #19

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

They can add all the ring walks and theatrics they want, boxing will not change. The only that can increase boxing popularity is competitive under cards. People who aren't dedicated to the sweet science will not sit around and watch 6 lackluster undercard bouts before the main event.

Network T.V. bouts and maybe another boxing reality show will increase popularity also.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Dec 20 2012, 09:48 PM
Post #20

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (Kratza @ Dec 20 2012, 06:10 PM) *

this

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 10:10 AM