IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO Turns Down Taylor v. Froch but Wants Taylor v. Wright, This is part of the reason boxing isn't like it use to be.
King Eugene
post Dec 19 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #1

Proud American

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,577

BoxingScene.com was advised that HBO is not willing to approve a super middleweight bout between WBC champion Carl Froch and mandatory Jermain Taylor. Instead, HBO is trying to make a rematch between Taylor and Winky Wright. Wright, as you may remember, was due a date on HBO last September. The network would eventually renege on Winky, and handed the date to Golden Boy Promotions for Mosley-Mayorga.

After Wright's attorney contacted HBO with a legal threat, the network promised him a date in 2009. Wright was scheduled to appear in January, then February and then March 14, which is now confirmed for Dawson-Tarver II. Some have said that Winky could face "someone" in the opener of that Dawson-Tarver, but others say the network is pushing to see him face Taylor in April.

Taylor would probably fight Wright, but considering the amount of time that Wright has been away, and winless since 2006, the negotiations for the fight are going to be hell. Wright is going to demand at least a 50-50 split, if not more, and that will not happen. HBO is also said to be open for a Taylor fight with WBA champion Mikkel Kessler. Again, HBO would have to make the money right for both sides to make Taylor take the risk, and to make Kessler travel to America.

Now everybody knows I'm a Winky Wright fan but this is ridiculous. Wright doesn't deserve Taylor at this time and the best fight to be made would be either Taylor vs. Kessler. Either way it goes Taylor has a shot at a title next. He should not fight Winky. Winky needs a tune-up followed by a convincing win over a top contender. I think he should atleast fight two times before he gets a shot at any belt.

This is probably the first time I've agreed that Wright dont deserve a fight.

HBO is killing me, they wonder why boxing is in the slums as far as mainstream.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 19 2008, 06:02 AM
Post #2

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE(3King3 @ Dec 19 2008, 01:21 AM) [snapback]417459[/snapback]
Now everybody knows I'm a Winky Wright fan but this is ridiculous. Wright doesn't deserve Taylor at this time and the best fight to be made would be either Taylor vs. Kessler. Either way it goes Taylor has a shot at a title next. He should not fight Winky. Winky needs a tune-up followed by a convincing win over a top contender. I think he should at least fight two times before he gets a shot at any belt.

This is probably the first time I've agreed that Wright don't deserve a fight.

HBO is killing me, they wonder why boxing is in the slums as far as mainstream.

Sure,

They bent over and shit on command for Winky, "Stinky, Dinky," Wright because of the fear of being sued by Wright's people instead of trying to make a better action match. It's business as usual before pleasing the fans at HBO's boxing department. But what it boils down to is fear of a lawsuit in today's harsh economy. HBO doesn't want to risk a legal loss, and will be reducing their boxing budgets considerably for 2009. Perhaps in better economic times, they would have shown some balls and told Winky to "stick it." But economically, they can't afford to say no to any boxer under their contract.

This is what happens when you have long term contracts with your fighters instead of just individually buying the best fights that people want to see. HBO still can't get that through their dense skulls. I think all those years of Roy Jones fighting garbage men clogged their judgment. Shit, get Manny Pacquiao in on some good action fights and a few other guys who like to bang for the fans $12.95 a month instead of yet another crapola Winky Wright insomniac cure coma.

Jack

+Quote Post
JD
post Dec 19 2008, 07:57 AM
Post #3

First Ballot

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,262

Give me Froch over Taylor.

+Quote Post
MarzB
post Dec 19 2008, 08:33 AM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,494

"Stinky" Winky?? Are you all serious?? "Deserve",lol. Give me a break. I'm trying to wonder why Winky catches so much hell here first of all.

I can't get my head around it honestly. Because people aren't a fan of his style?? Because some of you actually think he should have taken shorter money to fight a Taylor rematch, go to Germany to fight Abraham and Sturm (smirk there)? You're not the one in the ring taking the risk but most of all, when was Winky's last terrible performance? Did Winky get KTFO in the last 5 years that I missed??

I could see if the first Taylor vs. Wright fight wasn't competitive but come on. I'm just as much of a hardcore boxing fan as most of you and I barely know who Carl Froth or whatever his name is. Haven't cared to bother looking this guy up on youtube either.

If I don't know who he is, what heck makes you think HBO's audience outside of hardcore fans would?? If I were the suits at HBO, I'd turn that match down also.

"But Marz, Winky hasn't been active in a year and a half" So, f he wants to put himself up for that risk, thats on him. He's still a very skilled, adept boxer that I highly doubt will be embarrassed unlike a certain part time boxer/promoter HBO loved to feature against whomever.

As far as the "deserved" comment goes, Jermain Taylor beat Jeff Lacy, boo hoo, big deal. If anyone doesn't DESERVE anything it would be him.

This is still a very competitive fight come fight night most of you will be in here discussing so save the pseudo "outrage" theres been many more future fights discussed that the alarm could be rang on.

+Quote Post
JD
post Dec 19 2008, 08:36 AM
Post #5

First Ballot

Oh...and give me Winky over Taylor.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Dec 19 2008, 08:51 AM
Post #6

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Taylor beats up Winky in the rematch... Taylor UD

This post has been edited by damarvelous1: Dec 19 2008, 08:52 AM

+Quote Post
JD
post Dec 19 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #7

First Ballot

Ok...I'll take Taylor too than.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Dec 19 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #8

Heavyweight

QUOTE(JD @ Dec 19 2008, 08:57 AM) [snapback]417470[/snapback]
Ok...I'll take Taylor too than.

LOL... still trying?

+Quote Post
JD
post Dec 19 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #9

First Ballot

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Dec 19 2008, 08:59 AM) [snapback]417472[/snapback]
LOL... still trying?

Nope...just making my pick.

I'm going to be right, I just know it!

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Dec 19 2008, 09:15 AM
Post #10

Heavyweight

QUOTE(JD @ Dec 19 2008, 09:13 AM) [snapback]417477[/snapback]
Nope...just making my pick.

I'm going to be right, I just know it!

You should lay down some money on both guys.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 09:50 PM