IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@10:15PM (ET)/7:15PM (PT)-Angulo vs. Kirkland-SPOILERS 15 Mins. Later, No New Threads, Public Streams, or Discussion of Showtime Card
EAlbian
post Nov 7 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #91

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,451

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 7 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Yeah you're pretty much right about those fights. Kirkland/Angulo could've gone either way..and that first round told the story. I was ready to rub it in after Angulo scored that knockdown, but he got his clock cleaned at the end of the round, and didn't take it as good as he gave it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Damn!

I'm telling you it was all in the blueprint, i wasn't 100% sold on the Kirkland win but I knew if he came with what he is capable of it was his fight to lose. Angulo isn't that good and is far from a thinking fighter. He's like Margarito if you can get him to go backwards the fight is yours, Kirkland has more places to go and it showed in the fight. I don't think Kirkland is unbeatable or anything but @154 against the right opponents the guy can be a huge star, he's what the US needs and can be billed as a mini mike tyson. Give me K9, then Mosley(sure I'll get shit for this but it could be a good fight), followed by Canelo and then Ortiz or Berto as I see them both at 154 in the near future. He needs to stay away from Martinez and 160
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 7 2011, 01:07 PM
Post #92

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (EAlbian @ Nov 7 2011, 12:54 PM) *
I'm telling you it was all in the blueprint, i wasn't 100% sold on the Kirkland win but I knew if he came with what he is capable of it was his fight to lose. Angulo isn't that good and is far from a thinking fighter. He's like Margarito if you can get him to go backwards the fight is yours, Kirkland has more places to go and it showed in the fight. I don't think Kirkland is unbeatable or anything but @154 against the right opponents the guy can be a huge star, he's what the US needs and can be billed as a mini mike tyson. Give me K9, then Mosley(sure I'll get shit for this but it could be a good fight), followed by Canelo and then Ortiz or Berto as I see them both at 154 in the near future. He needs to stay away from Martinez and 160

Great observation! I somewhat had Mike Tyson in mind when I thought of Kirkland, but as we all know, Tyson protected his chin well and that side-to-side head movement worked wonders for him being a smaller heaveyweight. Seemed like both of those guys were tired, but Angulo got the worst of everything Saturday night, and sacrificed himself after his gameblower in the first round. HAd his opponent in deep waters, and ended up punching himself out...all for his opponent to recover and tear him a new one...so yes, he's far from a smart fighter.

A K-9 fight would be a big one...they're tailor made for each other, and Mosley would be a name on his resume...but he better get that fight quick. I was thinking more along the lines of Cintron, Gomez, or Clottey. Somebody mentioned a fight with Lara, but that may be some form of suicide for Kirkland.

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Nov 7 2011, 01:45 PM
Post #93

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,451

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 7 2011, 02:07 PM) *
Great observation! I somewhat had Mike Tyson in mind when I thought of Kirkland, but as we all know, Tyson protected his chin well and that side-to-side head movement worked wonders for him being a smaller heaveyweight. Seemed like both of those guys were tired, but Angulo got the worst of everything Saturday night, and sacrificed himself after his gameblower in the first round. HAd his opponent in deep waters, and ended up punching himself out...all for his opponent to recover and tear him a new one...so yes, he's far from a smart fighter.

A K-9 fight would be a big one...they're tailor made for each other, and Mosley would be a name on his resume...but he better get that fight quick. I was thinking more along the lines of Cintron, Gomez, or Clottey. Somebody mentioned a fight with Lara, but that may be some form of suicide for Kirkland.

I don't want to see the Lara fight at all, he needs to fight Molina again or move up because I don't see who Golden Boy has for him @154. I guess I'd be ok with a Joel Julio fight and Main Events is always cool with matching their fighters. Lara just doesn't bring anything to the table imo, his style is kinda boring.

K9 blows, dude needs to lose that strap quick. I think thats the best way to get Kirkland a title and K9 an HBO fight. Kirkland obliterates him in 2 rounds imo, K9 is too upright and he isn't precise enough to land the big right hand he loads up with on Kirkland who is gonna be in your face in less than 5 seconds.

Kirkland is no Tyson, but with the right opponents can be marketed that way. Mosley would be good because he could actually win that fight but he'd have to earn it and I think that he deserves that opportunity because people are shitting on him right now. Its a good fight for Kirkland because he needs a good name on his resume and Mosley has never been stopped. If the fight is in an >18ft ring its going to be interesting. I think Cotto has the best chance against Kirkland right now @154 but I don't know if he wants that kind of pressure if he wins a Margarito fight. Margarito could be a real interesting fight but I don't know that Arum would be willing to make those fights just yet. Obviously the Alvarez fight is GBP most lucrative but it's just not time yet, I think its at least 2 fights away

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Nov 17 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #94

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I just re-watched the fight on HBO VOD and Lederman said something that open scoring was used for the fight because it was a WBC Elimination Bout, but because the house mic did not work, people did not know about it. And in a fight where maybe Angulo took round three, with only the first round being thrilling with the swapped knockdowns, one judge had Kirkland up by only one point, in what was pretty much a dominate performance by Kirkland after that thrilling first round.

Which begs the question, how would partial open scoring improve the outcome of decisions? If a boxer is going to get robbed, he's going to get robbed anyway. Jose Suliman keeps forgetting that this was tried before, at least in the States several times and failed. It is also interesting to inquire, why the Japanese Boxing Commission thinks open scoring is so great?

Jack

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:14 PM