Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto in driver's seat for big buck$ with Martinez win
Col Reb
post Mar 2 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,564

First of all, this is such an interesting fight. We have no idea which Martinez will show. A recovered Martinez should be too much for Cotto, but I think Cotto can beat a diminished Martinez. If Cotto becomes the lineal MW champ, he is in incredible position to make a ton of money in his next fight. While some are far-fetched, let's just entertain the ideas:

1) Mayweather rematch - This fight just makes too much sense from both a money and a legacy standpoint. I think it's a no-brainer call for Floyd, one of his most exciting options and a chance to get that historical notch on the belt of being MW champ. Cotto will have plenty of leverage though.

2) Canelo fight - This is another big money PPV for Cotto. It will sell like crazy, though less than a Floyd fight would sell. If he was supposedly getting $15 mil for Canelo now, imagine when he is the champ and a Mayweather fight is an option.

3) Pacquiao rematch - This is a bit of a stretch, but I see Bob Arum at least trying to bid for another Top Rank fight for Cotto. This would be historic for Manny as well (they're not above asking for a catchweight of 155), and it would give Cotto a chance to avenge his KO loss. Plus it would give Top Rank another carrot to get Manny to re-sign. If nothing else, Arum could use this chip to get Cotto more money at the table with Floyd. The biggest roadblock, which is most probably a deal-breaker, is that both are trained by Roach.

4) Chavez fight - This fight is the biggest stretch, as it's doubtful if Chavez could make the weight. If he could, it would be an exciting fight that would continue the Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry (as would Canelo) and sell big time.

While it's certainly no given that Cotto wins and that the other guys win their next fights, it sure will be fun to watch the aftermath of such a victory. While it seems so obvious that a Mayweather rematch would happen next, you just never know. What do you think Cotto would do if he were to beat Martinez?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Mar 2 2014, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,114

Cotto fans are so funny, he isn't even a legit 154 lber to me, this is just a lazy attempt at a money grab in the twilight of his career... how does he keep Sergio off him for 12 rounds? #mismatch

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 2 2014, 06:53 PM
Post #3

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

Cotto winning this fight put's him in the driver seat to fight anyone he wants really. I don't think he's going to beat Sergio (unless he isn't 100%) but if he does, I'd LOVE to see a Mayweather/Cotto 2 in Madison Square Garden! As a NYer and a boxing fan, this would be amazing to watch. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a rich man but I'd have to invest to see this.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 2 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Col Reb @ Mar 2 2014, 04:20 PM) *
First of all, this is such an interesting fight. We have no idea which Martinez will show. A recovered Martinez should be too much for Cotto, but I think Cotto can beat a diminished Martinez. If Cotto becomes the lineal MW champ, he is in incredible position to make a ton of money in his next fight. While some are far-fetched, let's just entertain the ideas:

1) Mayweather rematch - This fight just makes too much sense from both a money and a legacy standpoint. I think it's a no-brainer call for Floyd, one of his most exciting options and a chance to get that historical notch on the belt of being MW champ. Cotto will have plenty of leverage though.

2) Canelo fight - This is another big money PPV for Cotto. It will sell like crazy, though less than a Floyd fight would sell. If he was supposedly getting $15 mil for Canelo now, imagine when he is the champ and a Mayweather fight is an option.

3) Pacquiao rematch - This is a bit of a stretch, but I see Bob Arum at least trying to bid for another Top Rank fight for Cotto. This would be historic for Manny as well (they're not above asking for a catchweight of 155), and it would give Cotto a chance to avenge his KO loss. Plus it would give Top Rank another carrot to get Manny to re-sign. If nothing else, Arum could use this chip to get Cotto more money at the table with Floyd. The biggest roadblock, which is most probably a deal-breaker, is that both are trained by Roach.

4) Chavez fight - This fight is the biggest stretch, as it's doubtful if Chavez could make the weight. If he could, it would be an exciting fight that would continue the Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry (as would Canelo) and sell big time.

While it's certainly no given that Cotto wins and that the other guys win their next fights, it sure will be fun to watch the aftermath of such a victory. While it seems so obvious that a Mayweather rematch would happen next, you just never know. What do you think Cotto would do if he were to beat Martinez?

I think Cotto should immediately call for a rematch with Floyd if he beats Martinez but it is still unlikely that he wins vs Floyd no matter what weight the fight takes place at. I can't see Manny rematching Cotto especially if it's anything above 147, even if it does happen ROB Arum will specify that he wants Miguel to drain to 145 before it happens for Cotto's title at 160. Chavez is just too big for Miguel so I don't see that as an option at all but if MC does win and does not get the FMJr rematch then he should go for one of the other guys at 160 like 3G.

This post has been edited by BrutUalBK: Mar 3 2014, 12:22 AM

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Mar 2 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #5

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (Col Reb @ Mar 2 2014, 05:20 PM) *

Miguel would have many doors open if he wins. Also dont forget him and Quillin Could unify at the barlcays or garden. both have a ny fan base and imagine malinaggi on the undercard fighting Danny in his 1st fight at 147- PR and NYc fans would go nuts here. Fight would sell out here in a day. If Cotto looks great he should go for GGG ppv or Quillin, then a canelo ppv then go out on top as an unified lineal first PR MW champ or wait for Floyd. As Floyd Continues to unify titles at 147, in 1 year (sep 2015) or 2 years if Floyd decides to go for a 50th win, Mayweather-Cotto 2 could be huge (contigent on whether they continue winning). That would be a huge legacy/retirement fight for either as long as they continue to win. Cotto is in the best position in boxing right now after Floyd and even better than Floyd opponent wise. If he beats sergio, he can go after a GGG ppv/unification on hbo this year, then a Quillin unification and a Canelo ppv next year on Showtime. To bad i want Martine to punish Cotto lol Theres just something about the HW, WW, and MW titltes that make them so muh more legenday than any other title...

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 2 2014, 10:46 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

Ain't no way in hell a Pacquiao rematch happening. Manny has seen his limitations, it's a reason he hadn't fought at 154 since Margarito. He can't take it physically and imo that fight started his downfall

If he fought Canelo or a Floyd he'd still be the B-side of the promotion. All that shit he did to Martinez would be done to him by Mayweather or Canelo...doesn't matter though as I don't see him winning against Martinez no way

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 2 2014, 10:50 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 2 2014, 05:53 PM) *
Cotto winning this fight put's him in the driver seat to fight anyone he wants really. I don't think he's going to beat Sergio (unless he isn't 100%) but if he does, I'd LOVE to see a Mayweather/Cotto 2 in Madison Square Garden! As a NYer and a boxing fan, this would be amazing to watch. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a rich man but I'd have to invest to see this.

I'd rather it be at Yankee Stadiumn don't get me wrong MSG is cool too. But maybe I'm thinking too much basketball since the Knicks suck ass every year so I guess they need something that's actually entertaining there. Still don't see Mayweather fighting nowhere but Vegas. I'd like to see the pitches on himself giving up a huge chunk of his income to fight somewhere other then Vegas

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 2 2014, 11:30 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

Cotto maybe getting paid. but he is going to take a costly ass kicking. Sergio is physically bigger than Cotto, and he hits hard. Sergio has great foot work and is elusive on defense when he wants to be. I don't even see Cotto winning a round, I know that sounds bad but unless Sergio gets old instantly, this fight is lopsided

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Mar 3 2014, 10:14 AM
Post #9

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

IF cotto wins Floyd would be his #1 choice money wise ggg #2 glory wise and canelo:angulo winner rivalry wise. He can cash out, monster mash out or bust a "SHANE" and ride that horse into the sunset out!

This is boxing and anything can happen on any given night.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 3 2014, 12:36 PM
Post #10

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 2 2014, 10:50 PM) *
I'd rather it be at Yankee Stadiumn don't get me wrong MSG is cool too. But maybe I'm thinking too much basketball since the Knicks suck ass every year so I guess they need something that's actually entertaining there. Still don't see Mayweather fighting nowhere but Vegas. I'd like to see the pitches on himself giving up a huge chunk of his income to fight somewhere other then Vegas

I don't see it happening in any place but Vegas either but trust me, MSG is way bigger than Yankee Stadium. Maybe if it was the old Yankee stadium. They don't call it the greatest arena in the world for no reason. There's something magical about that place. And you're right, my Knicks suck but we STILL have the most valuable franchise in the NBA. It's because of MSG. Plus, they have that new glass catwalk. NYC in general will have the better crowd over Vegas, with the gigantic Puerto Rican population in NY. I think the atmosphere would second to only Mayweather vs Hatton.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 12:53 PM