> Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10.
thehype
post Jun 2 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #11

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jun 2 2009, 11:23 AM) *
No, I don't think that's harsh. I don't see any other reason for having Kimbo on here. Why is it that this season they're not making fighters fight their way into the house? They want to keep Kimbo on for ratings. I think Kimbo's a good person but he is not the UFC caliber material and never will be. He's too old at this point. He has a punchers chance and that's it.

I gotta agree...this was a move for ratings.

That being said, I'll give him a chance. While Dana has always bashed him, he did also say that the only way he would make it to the UFC is if he fought his way through TUF. If Kimbo were to somehow win all of his fights on the show and make it to the Finale, then he'll have proven himself as far as I'm concerned.

Can you imagine...Lesnar vs. Slice?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

The thought of it is laughable, and yet intriguing at the same time. I'm quite sure that's how Dana is looking at it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Jun 2 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #12

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,195

QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 2 2009, 11:06 AM) *
Damn right, he got into the house for ratings but that doesn't change that FACT that there have been fighters with far less quality in the house before him. Keep in mind that this is his shot a going to the UFC and fighting for real and this is how Dana has been making the newer UFC fighter prove themselves before they can be on one of the fight cards. This is Kimbo waiting in line like the rest of them. Dana could have put him in on an undercard with some Tomato can and made money off of him that way.

If Dana puts him on an undercard, sure that'll bring ratings but for one night only. By going through the show Dana's gauranteed to put asses in seats as viewers tune in to see what's going on.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Jun 2 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #13

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

i think kimbo waited too long to get into real fighting... he can crack and all but if he lost to what ever his name is then i see him losing again... but its all for the money so people will tune in.. and if he happens to win his fights and actually appear to be learning sumthin then more power to him.. but i think his chin has been exposed...

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Jun 2 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #14

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

I think he will lose in the first round.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jun 3 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #15

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

It was certainly a good move to put Kimbo. Weather you think he is a fraud or not (he is, IMO), he can punch, he's exciting, and he's a draw.

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Jun 4 2009, 03:06 AM
Post #16

Middleweight

Member No.: 603

If kimbo is as undeserving as everyone says (and i agree) then whats the big problem with a ratings grab? He will add a bit of colour to the opening episodes, be exposed, and put some other guys name in the publics mind as the guy that destroyed kimbo.

Big deal, smart marketing.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Jun 4 2009, 03:55 AM
Post #17

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jun 4 2009, 04:06 AM) *
If kimbo is as undeserving as everyone says (and i agree) then whats the big problem with a ratings grab? He will add a bit of colour to the opening episodes, be exposed, and put some other guys name in the publics mind as the guy that destroyed kimbo.

Big deal, smart marketing.

Except that your hardcore purists will see this as Dana White making a mockery of legit MMA. Which, to some extent, I would agree with. It was cool and shit when Pride (And now Dream) was doing it, because that shit is acceptable on every level over there.

Jose Canseco fighting Hong-Man Choi? Cool.

Mirko Cro-Cop fighting some mother fucker (Dos Caras Jr.) wearing a lucha-libre mask? Check.

The media there loves that shit, and eats it up.

The U.S. is a different animal altogether. If Dana White is serious about legitimizing the sport (making it bigger internationally than soccer, in his words), then he's gonna have to start looking at making some changes to the way he does business.

1.) Stop the profanity-laced tirades. It was funny at first. But now? Well, how many times has David Stern went off on the media, calling them "fucking faggots" and "retards." Exactly.

2.) Stop stalling fights and title defenses because you need to hype the next season of TUF. That shit is old, let it go. You owe Leben, Griffin, and all the rest of those guys your left nut for what they did for your company. I get it. But who really gives a shit about TUF now?

3.) Stop the freak shows. Brock Lesnar (Cock Chestnar) getting a title-shot so early in his career was enough. Do I really need to see Kimbo "Youtube" Slice challenging for that same title? Really?

Yeah. I know. Kimbo means ratings. So what. When does ratings trump integrity? When it's the UFC I guess.

See. That's the problem with Kimbo Slice. No one blames him. He's a cool cat, just riding the wave. Which we'd all do.

It's Dana White. Riding the wave. When he shouldn't.

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Jun 4 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #18

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 6,400

No one has addressed my point. So if Kimbo would have never done the YouTube thing and made it to TUF no one would have problem with it. Is that right. Just based on some the guys that have been on there before, I could see Kimbo making it in the house with his skill set. I mean, they have had guys that I could fuck up in that house before, I really don't see what the problem is.

+Quote Post
JD
post Jun 5 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #19

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

Kimbo has MMA experience, limited as it may be...I dunno, I am far from a hardcore, but in the end I see it as a smart move. UFC is as close to WWE gone real as there is, except these guys have actual skills - but the interviews, the promotion, it's all just a realer version of it. So toss Kimbo on a show for ratings, hope he does well and learns a thing or two, and in the end you could have a homerun.

Dana White said the only way he would entertain Kimbo in the UFC is if he fought through the show - in some ways Kimbo is calling his bluff and at the same time Dana White is exploiting him. Everyone wins.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Jun 6 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #20

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (JD @ Jun 5 2009, 06:41 PM) *
Kimbo has MMA experience, limited as it may be...I dunno, I am far from a hardcore, but in the end I see it as a smart move. UFC is as close to WWE gone real as there is, except these guys have actual skills - but the interviews, the promotion, it's all just a realer version of it. So toss Kimbo on a show for ratings, hope he does well and learns a thing or two, and in the end you could have a homerun.

Dana White said the only way he would entertain Kimbo in the UFC is if he fought through the show - in some ways Kimbo is calling his bluff and at the same time Dana White is exploiting him. Everyone wins.

Maybe. I guess. Depending on how you look at it. But if the UFC really were the major league MMA organization they claim to be, then why do they have to bring in minor league starts to bolster ratings?

Why did they have to change the format of TUF10 (by dumping all the 205lbers that were supposed to be participating) to accomodate this "star", and replace those 205lbers with NFL has-beens to serve as cannon fodder for this same "star?"

So yeah, maybe Dana wins, maybe the UFC wins, maybe the networks win. I guess it's just the hardcore purists who've been there from the beginning that lose out.

Whatever. Bring it Dana. Let's watch youtube back-yard brawler Kimbo Slice take on WWE Champ Brock Lesnar in a no holds bar, winner take all royale rumble. A nigga gotta eat, right? I just hope Brock doesn't knock out the ref and hit Kimbo over the head with his UFC championship belt after failing to connect with the F5. That'd suck. Then we'd have to bring in Sting to be the guest referee.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 02:07 AM