Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Toughest Training Methods/Routines U Know Of
daprofessor
post Dec 27 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

if we're talking boxing routines for conditioning....there are plenty.

plyometric routines are great for explosiveness and speed.

my best advice to any of u looking to improve for boxing.... train how u fight. u will never be pushing or pulling heavy weight in a ring so there's no need for that outside the ring. make your work outs mirror your movements in the ring. for core work, stick to trunk rotations, crunches, leg lifts, jack knives..etc..etc... and maybe some medicine ball work. there's no need to build up the muscle of your abdomen wall...it will never be strong enough to take shots so avoid heavy weight there. instead, focus on your defense. your arms and elbows will take those shots a lot better than ur ribs or abdomen.

overall...keep your workouts intense. in a fight...u will need to be totally relaxed until it's time to attack...at that moment u want to be explosive and then bring your heart rate back down to a resting rate. this will happen several times during a round and several times during a fight. no one can go all out for 3 minutes straight for every single round so u need to learn to work within your envelope. this is why i believe in interval training.

depending on what it is you want to improve...the workouts will vary.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Dec 27 2012, 04:41 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 28 2012, 10:50 AM
Post #12

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 27 2012, 04:39 PM) *
no one can go all out for 3 minutes straight for every single round so u need to learn to work within your envelope. this is why i believe in interval training.

...and this is what I try to explain to those airheads who say that boxers wont last in a street fight. You know how the average street fight goes...a couple of wild punches, and occasional yet accidental jab, very little but extremely ugly head movement, then a bunch of wrestling...which lasts every bit of 45-60 seconds. Lol

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Dec 28 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #13

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 21 2012, 09:12 PM) *
We have this very very steep hill in a park, and just running up and down that is slaughter since by your third set your destroyed and most likely throwing up

Most I've jogged was 4 miles. Longest on a incline was about 25min. This is all on a tredmill. No steep hills where I live so I could only imagine how that was for u lol

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Dec 28 2012, 07:22 PM

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Dec 28 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #14

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Dec 22 2012, 04:09 AM) *
Not the toughest, but I have never been into medicine ball twists. We used to do it with the 44lb plates... sitting, leaning backwards, legs up and twisting like a motherfucker until failure. Destroyed me every time... not to mention we were doing this exercie at the very end of training..after punishing sparring sessions it was a real torture.

Yea this is a killer

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Dec 28 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #15

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 27 2012, 04:39 PM) *
if we're talking boxing routines for conditioning....there are plenty.

plyometric routines are great for explosiveness and speed.

my best advice to any of u looking to improve for boxing.... train how u fight. u will never be pushing or pulling heavy weight in a ring so there's no need for that outside the ring. make your work outs mirror your movements in the ring. for core work, stick to trunk rotations, crunches, leg lifts, jack knives..etc..etc... and maybe some medicine ball work. there's no need to build up the muscle of your abdomen wall...it will never be strong enough to take shots so avoid heavy weight there. instead, focus on your defense. your arms and elbows will take those shots a lot better than ur ribs or abdomen.

overall...keep your workouts intense. in a fight...u will need to be totally relaxed until it's time to attack...at that moment u want to be explosive and then bring your heart rate back down to a resting rate. this will happen several times during a round and several times during a fight. no one can go all out for 3 minutes straight for every single round so u need to learn to work within your envelope. this is why i believe in interval training.

depending on what it is you want to improve...the workouts will vary.

Good tip here

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Dec 28 2012, 07:21 PM

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Dec 28 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #16

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 28 2012, 10:50 AM) *
...and this is what I try to explain to those airheads who say that boxers wont last in a street fight. You know how the average street fight goes...a couple of wild punches, and occasional yet accidental jab, very little but extremely ugly head movement, then a bunch of wrestling...which lasts every bit of 45-60 seconds. Lol

LML

Why so many around here use a weapon

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 1 2013, 07:32 PM
Post #17

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Dec 22 2012, 04:09 AM) *
Not the toughest, but I have never been into medicine ball twists. We used to do it with the 44lb plates... sitting, leaning backwards, legs up and twisting like a motherfucker until failure. Destroyed me every time... not to mention we were doing this exercie at the very end of training..after punishing sparring sessions it was a real torture.

Mit, I appreciate your efforts towards a better physique and all, but your description has me in tears laughing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) That shit seems so excruciating! Lol

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 28 2012, 07:38 PM) *
LML

Why so many around here use a weapon

It's sad...nobody wants to take an ass-kicking, but those same guys want to talk like tough guys. Weird. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jan 1 2013, 08:19 PM
Post #18

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 1 2013, 07:32 PM) *
It's sad...nobody wants to take an ass-kicking, but those same guys want to talk like tough guys. Weird. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I hear ya...they can't live with themselves taking that L so much so that they'd kill someone so they have to under those circumstances SMH.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jan 1 2013, 08:25 PM
Post #19

Junior Welterweight

I wanna try the that workout Mayweather does for his neck. Don't know what it's called, but it's like a strap around his head with a weight attached from a harness. Anyone know if that universal or just some improvising?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 2 2013, 09:26 AM
Post #20

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 1 2013, 08:19 PM) *
I hear ya...they can't live with themselves taking that L so much so that they'd kill someone so they have to under those circumstances SMH.

It's crazy because they're willing to kill someone and do jail time...JUST to put themselves in a prison situation where nothing's safe. Backwards math, if you ask me.

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 1 2013, 08:25 PM) *
I wanna try the that workout Mayweather does for his neck. Don't know what it's called, but it's like a strap around his head with a weight attached from a harness. Anyone know if that universal or just some improvising?

It's called a neck harness, and I actually bought one from Ringside.com years ago. It strengthens your neck, so you're able to take a better punch...unless Matthysse hits you of course.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 07:28 AM