Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If you were a trainer?, Your Game plan to beat Matthysse
sduck
post May 26 2013, 04:53 PM
Post #21

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,788

Box him, keep Matthysse moving so he can't position himself for one of those hard heading punches. Keep cutting off the ring, use your feet, tie him up when he gets close.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 27 2013, 10:09 PM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (sduck @ May 26 2013, 04:53 PM) *
Box him, keep Matthysse moving so he can't position himself for one of those hard heading punches. Keep cutting off the ring, use your feet, tie him up when he gets close.

judah and alexander have pretty much laid the blue print.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 29 2013, 02:20 AM
Post #23

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 27 2013, 10:09 PM) *
judah and alexander have pretty much laid the blue print.

I said it in another thread that if I were fighting Lucas or my fighter was fighting him, I'd give him movement, I don't think it takes a hard puncher to get to Lucas but if you box him....hit him with your shots and turn him, then he's useless. Peterson could've made the fight so much easier for himself but he reverted back to what he knows and that's going in the trenches and banging away. He had a good first round and I thought he was going to build on that

Zab got him pretty good by hitting him and turning him so he wouldn't be able to get his shots off. If a power puncher isn't set then he has to do something else. We haven't seen Lucas have to do something else just yet

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 29 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 29 2013, 02:20 AM) *
I said it in another thread that if I were fighting Lucas or my fighter was fighting him, I'd give him movement, I don't think it takes a hard puncher to get to Lucas but if you box him....hit him with your shots and turn him, then he's useless. Peterson could've made the fight so much easier for himself but he reverted back to what he knows and that's going in the trenches and banging away. He had a good first round and I thought he was going to build on that

Zab got him pretty good by hitting him and turning him so he wouldn't be able to get his shots off. If a power puncher isn't set then he has to do something else. We haven't seen Lucas have to do something else just yet

all of matthysse's opponents since alexander have cooperated with him. none of them have forced him to have to dig deep or force him to have to work hard to get what he wanted. that is going to be the difference imo when he fights garcia. garcia is going to throw with him. garcia can box and counter. garcia is good with both hands and definitely has more punching ability than anyone matthysse has faced in quite some time.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 1 2013, 01:34 AM
Post #25

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 29 2013, 07:09 PM) *
all of matthysse's opponents since alexander have cooperated with him. none of them have forced him to have to dig deep or force him to have to work hard to get what he wanted. that is going to be the difference imo when he fights garcia. garcia is going to throw with him. garcia can box and counter. garcia is good with both hands and definitely has more punching ability than anyone matthysse has faced in quite some time.

Agreed on all points...after the 2 fights against Judah and Alexander, Matthysse's people knew what they were doing in maneuvering him. Garcia is a different type of animal then what Matthysse has faced recently, it makes for compelling drama in the fight

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jun 1 2013, 08:36 AM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I think ajose would have done a much better job if he wasn't do brave.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 3 2013, 01:56 PM
Post #27

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 1 2013, 08:36 AM) *
I think ajose would have done a much better job if he wasn't do brave.

he was coming off a pretty long lay off too.

make no mistake about it...matthysse's last run of opponents were chosen carefully to make him look good. danny is not an opponent.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Jun 3 2013, 02:42 PM
Post #28

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

If I were a Trainer, I'd tell my fighter to stay as close to Lucas as possible, it appears that he is very heavy handed and that his power really snaps off at the end of his long punches, his short shots do not seem to do much damage. I'd have my fighter box but continually turn him, never going to the ropes and never if at all possible going backwards in a straight line/use of a double jab is utmost and then let the combo 1-2 go (no more than that because fire is coming back).

Keep his chin down/tucked because LM swings for the head the majority of the time, someone like Floyd's tight defense will do wonders vs LM in close quarters, if you find yourself on the outside of him then you must use lateral movement always and roll with all punches if you are on the end of them. Never committ to any offense on him without using feints first when outside followed behind the double jab.

A guy like LM has to find that in your mentality he cannot outbully/outmuscle you and limiting his power punching will do just that at close quarters as long as you do not allow him to create space.

This post has been edited by BrutUalBK: Jun 3 2013, 02:43 PM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jun 3 2013, 07:39 PM
Post #29

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 3 2013, 01:56 PM) *
he was coming off a pretty long lay off too.

make no mistake about it...matthysse's last run of opponents were chosen carefully to make him look good. danny is not an opponent.

Idk about that. Ajose was a wildcard, he was unproven but good enough to keep the top fighters the fuck away. He had been begging for a meaningful fight for almost two years but nobody wants to go up against an unmarketable dude with skills like him. And that boy proved he's bad even in losing.

Humberto was a nice crowd pleasing fight. Dallas was a fill in for...? I forget who, someone help me out.

And lamont can hang with anyone at 140, but he's just so jittery and can get caught cold early.

I want this Danny fight bad, Danny is clutch and Lucas is a manimal.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 3 2013, 07:53 PM
Post #30

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 3 2013, 07:39 PM) *
Idk about that. Ajose was a wildcard, he was unproven but good enough to keep the top fighters the fuck away. He had been begging for a meaningful fight for almost two years but nobody wants to go up against an unmarketable dude with skills like him. And that boy proved he's bad even in losing.

Humberto was a nice crowd pleasing fight. Dallas was a fill in for...? I forget who, someone help me out.

And lamont can hang with anyone at 140, but he's just so jittery and can get caught cold early.

I want this Danny fight bad, Danny is clutch and Lucas is a manimal.

ajose hadn't fought for a whole year before he fought matthysse. he was definitely avoided and for good reason. tough dude.

humberto's best days were at 130-135....but he fought with pure heart and hung in there for a few rounds.

dallas was in a fragile state having just lost his pops to lukemia and had a new trainer in virgil hunter...but i didn't believe he was on matthysses level even though i was rooting for him.

the peterson win was legit. it went exactly as i thought it would.

i too want the garcia/matthysse fight. these guys are number 1 and 2 in the division. it needs to happen.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Jun 3 2013, 07:53 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 05:31 AM