Reply to this topicStart new topic
> hbo commentary team, kellerman/poppa/ward
daprofessor
post Jan 23 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

what did u guys think? i really enjoyed wards commentary...he needs to settle in a little bit more but he's going to be good.

kellerman is getting worse. not sure who's call it was to not interview the losers in those matches...but wtf!? give them their time on the mic!!!

also...i didn't like how kellerman was doing that merchant-esque shit...asking loaded questions and giving golovkin excuses for a performance that didn't need any excuses.

i'm starting to think he's being fed those questions by someone who doesn't have a clue. maybe i've been overly critical of merchant all this time when the blame should fall on the dipshit speaking to him in his ear piece!? nah.

did anyone else find that cut away to the locker room, where ggg was talking to his mom on the cell phone, kind of odd?

also...as a whole...i thought they all played follow the leader in the first match. i didn't agree with all the rounds...but none of them seemed to be trying to balance the view of it. consequently, they all went off the cliff together. there needs to be a guy on the telecast who can offer a different perspective. that's why i love roy and big george.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 23 2013, 10:43 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 23 2013, 06:38 PM) *
what did u guys think? i really enjoyed wards commentary...he needs to settle in a little bit more but he's going to be good.

kellerman is getting worse. not sure who's call it was to not interview the losers in those matches...but wtf!? give them their time on the mic!!!

also...i didn't like how kellerman was doing that merchant-esque shit...asking loaded questions and giving golovkin excuses for a performance that didn't need any excuses.

i'm starting to think he's being fed those questions by someone who doesn't have a clue. maybe i've been overly critical of merchant all this time when the blame should fall on the dipshit speaking to him in his ear piece!? nah.

did anyone else find that cut away to the locker room, where ggg was talking to his mom on the cell phone, kind of odd?

also...as a whole...i thought they all played follow the leader in the first match. i didn't agree with all the rounds...but none of them seemed to be trying to balance the view of it. consequently, they all went off the cliff together. there needs to be a guy on the telecast who can offer a different perspective. that's why i love roy and big george.

Never liked Kellerman from the start. He reminds me of Geraldo Rivera type guy, he looks for shit that ain't even there. Then he tries to be dramatic with every word he says, not sentence or phrase but word! Those bullshit dramatic pauses I swear I want to kill him. I am like just freaking talk! He is taking himself way to serious. I liked ward and Papa, they did well but Kellerman needs to be replaced fast! I think bringing in Kevin Kelly would do HBO well or a former boxer who is still coherent would be nice as well.

+Quote Post
OneOne
post Jan 24 2013, 01:12 PM
Post #3

Amateur

Member No.: 13,619

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 23 2013, 10:38 PM) *

kellerman is getting worse. not sure who's call it was to not interview the losers in those matches...but wtf!? give them their time on the mic!!! also...i didn't like how kellerman was doing that merchant-esque shit...asking loaded questions and giving golovkin excuses for a performance that didn't need any excuses.

Agree with you on most of your comments. Cutaway to GGG in locker room was awkward and meaningless. Stupid decision to show that.

"Follow the leader" is a perfect description for HBO commentary. Their comments just snowball, with no dissenting views. The WORST part was when the scores were announced, the commentators were just oozing with moral indignation. Basically their attitude was "if you don't agree with our scoring, then you can't possibly know what you're talking about." How about some rational analysis instead of hyperbole and arrogance?

I disagree wholeheartedly re Ward. He was mediocre at best. Comments like "they're really trying to hurt each other in there" and "but there's still a long way to go, Max" are just background noise. Ward presents well but his commentary is devoid of any insight or intelligence. It's just chatter.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 24 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (OneOne @ Jan 24 2013, 01:12 PM) *
Agree with you on most of your comments. Cutaway to GGG in locker room was awkward and meaningless. Stupid decision to show that.

"Follow the leader" is a perfect description for HBO commentary. Their comments just snowball, with no dissenting views. The WORST part was when the scores were announced, the commentators were just oozing with moral indignation. Basically their attitude was "if you don't agree with our scoring, then you can't possibly know what you're talking about." How about some rational analysis instead of hyperbole and arrogance?

I disagree wholeheartedly re Ward. He was mediocre at best. Comments like "they're really trying to hurt each other in there" and "but there's still a long way to go, Max" are just background noise. Ward presents well but his commentary is devoid of any insight or intelligence. It's just chatter.

I like his commentary on showtime. Maybe he felt awkward on the hbo telecast because as everyone knows they push peoples incentives so he didn't want to get caught saying the wrong thing (or right thing).

+Quote Post
OneOne
post Jan 24 2013, 02:42 PM
Post #5

Amateur

Member No.: 13,619

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 24 2013, 02:29 PM) *
I like his commentary on showtime. Maybe he felt awkward on the hbo telecast because as everyone knows they push peoples incentives so he didn't want to get caught saying the wrong thing (or right thing).

Good point. Seems like the idiot in the earpiece is giving a lot of instructions on HBO shows.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 24 2013, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (OneOne @ Jan 24 2013, 01:12 PM) *

u know...you're right. there was a lot of 'background noise' and meaningless chatter in comparison to guys like malignaggi, tarver and roy. but i guess in comparison to the shit that is kellerman...wards' commentary was a bit more acceptable on this particular night. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 24 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 24 2013, 01:29 PM) *

u have a valid point. that was the thing about manny steward...he'd say things up front that were right on point...only to have lampley chime in with his spin...then manny would back track and he really did look awkward and uncomfortable.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 24 2013, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (OneOne @ Jan 24 2013, 02:42 PM) *
Good point. Seems like the idiot in the earpiece is giving a lot of instructions on HBO shows.

i wonder who that clown is and how he got that job?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 24 2013, 03:19 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

as for the cutaway to GGG in the locker room...i guess they realized they looked stupid making excuses for a guy who just basically dominated the fight and that was their way of back tracking.

which leads me to this....

am i alone with this? i start off liking certain fighters....then with hbo's bullshit and spin trying to force 'their guy' down our throats...i end up not liking that fighter and usually find myself rooting against him.

hbo's talking heads really need to give it a rest and just let great fights happen and stop trying to force their agenda. boxing is at it's best when we don't know who's going to win. also...i know what it is i'm seeing...i don't need their bullshit view points trying to skew opinions. max...i get that u've been doing this since ur teenage days and u have amassed a good amount of boxing knowledge but u just come off as a pompous ass. hbo just got rid of one...we don't need another. thank u.

+Quote Post
flazi
post Jan 24 2013, 05:44 PM
Post #10

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 24 2013, 12:19 PM) *
as for the cutaway to GGG in the locker room...i guess they realized they looked stupid making excuses for a guy who just basically dominated the fight and that was their way of back tracking.

which leads me to this....

am i alone with this? i start off liking certain fighters....then with hbo's bullshit and spin trying to force 'their guy' down our throats...i end up not liking that fighter and usually find myself rooting against him.

hbo's talking heads really need to give it a rest and just let great fights happen and stop trying to force their agenda. boxing is at it's best when we don't know who's going to win. also...i know what it is i'm seeing...i don't need their bullshit view points trying to skew opinions. max...i get that u've been doing this since ur teenage days and u have amassed a good amount of boxing knowledge but u just come off as a pompous ass. hbo just got rid of one...we don't need another. thank u.

yeah i agree. I liked ward but he did leave something to be desired, just a bit more inside knowledge on what was going on inside the ring that the casual fan would miss. Roy and Paul brought/bring this. things like foot positioning defensive posture for counter shots etc.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 02:01 AM