> Your all-time favorites..., and why?
Warlord
post Aug 18 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #1

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

Kazushi Sakuraba
Maybe my all-time favorite. The guy always came to fight, and fought anyone and everyone regardless of weight class. Very exciting fighter, and probably the most creative in-ring as well. His flying M. Bison-style divestomp to Vitor Belfort (twice!) is still one of the most hilariously awesome things I've ever seen in my life.

Wanderlei Silva
Took me a long time to love Wanderlei, after the BRUTAL beatdown he delivered to Kazushi Sakuraba. But Wanderlei, like Sakuraba, fought anyone and everyone. And he did it fearlessly and aggressively.

This is a guy who had a good enough ground-game to take opponents down and grind them out, thereby preserving his health. But, for the fans, chose to stand and bang it out each and every time. Even against guys who massively outweighed him like Cro-Cop and Mark Hunt.

I remember in Pride he even gave his phone number out to fans and told them to give him a call, his only rule being please not to call so late, to avoid waking up his wife and baby. (named Thor!)

Fedor Emelianenko
Stoic and massively skilled. The pound-for-pound greatest fighter in MMA history. The man is everything a Mixed Martial Artist should be.

Anyone coming in here trying to argue for some ass-shaking faggot equipped with pink shirts and cosmetic glasses please save your breath.

Other fighters I've liked at various times:

Genki Sudo ("We are all one")
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (Hyper-aggressive)
Akira Shoji (True warrior)
Dan Henderson (One of the best American fighters for a long time)
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (Pride version)
Chris Leben (A real-life Zombie)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 20 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #2

Junior Middleweight

I'm the only guy here with favorite fighters? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Come on guys, this place is fucking dying here!

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Aug 20 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #3

Proud American

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,577

I never really like Wanderlei but I respected the hell out of him. I hated the way he did Rampage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Didn't really appreciate him until recently. I remember when Dan Henderson beat him for the first time I was acting a damn monkey in my front room. I haven't followed the sport as much as I have boxing but I remember a few guys. I can honestly say I would have watch a Pride match before I would watch a UFC match.

My all time favorite MMA fighter is Mirko Cro Cop
Seeing him fight was the first time I ever seen a KO by a head kick. He would fight absolutely anyone. Another thing I liked about Pride was the open weight tournaments. Didn't matter the difference in size...they would still fight. Those where true warriors (not saying the UFC doesn't have any). I use to think all of Bob Sapp fights where staged and predetermined but when I see Mirko punch his eye socket out my chin hit the floor. I though Sapp was just acting but the fucker was really in pain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Cro Cop was my dude. Now he is way past his prime and looks no where near the same in the UFC as he did in Pride. You have the newbies who think he's just another old contender but if they really knew Cro Cop they'd know he use to be one bad dude. Hell I bet half of them don't even know he beat Wanderlei Silva and gave Fedor a damn good fight.

I like the personality of UFC's Rampage but the fighting style of Pride's Rampage. You can argue his personality hasn't changed much but he wasn't as famous in the US then either.

Chuck Liddell - UFC version
His style never evolved and that is why I think he started losing as of late but I don't understand how you could not love to watch him fight. He was a damn good wrestler but preferred to stand and let his hands go. He beat a few nobodies but he also beat some world class fighters as well. I think the Randleman stoppage was a little early but I still enjoyed the fight. I've always hated Tito so Chuck whipping ass was great for me.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Aug 20 2010, 02:06 AM
Post #4

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

Rampage
Wanderlei
BJ Penn

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 20 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 20 2010, 12:46 AM) *
I never really like Wanderlei but I respected the hell out of him. I hated the way he did Rampage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Rampage deserved to get hung from the ropes the way he did. I remember him calling out Wanderlei pretty hard, and Wanderlei couldn't fight him immediately due to a knee issue. And Rampage is all like, "Why you got knee problems Wanderlei? Get off yo' knees."

Man. And then Wanderlei murdered him with his knees when they fought, and left Rampage hanging off the ropes like a corpse. Rampage's own family at home sobbing and shit, thinking he was dead.

That was a pretty satisfying moment to me, lol. Even though I loved Rampage at that time, he still deserved every ounce of the pain he incurred. And then Wanderlei did it again. And then Shogun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

My all time favorite MMA fighter is Mirko Cro Cop

I never liked Cro Cop in Pride. I always thought he was an arrogant little prick. And he came in to Pride trying to fight under special rules, and still got himself trashed by Wanderlei in their first fight.

I like him much better in the UFC, though he has proven time and again that, mentally, he isn't a very strong fighter. (But we all knew that in Pride anyway.)

Another thing I liked about Pride was the open weight tournaments. Didn't matter the difference in size...they would still fight. Those where true warriors (not saying the UFC doesn't have any).

Co-sign. Those Grand Prixs were the fucking shit.

And there was something hilarious about seeing little ass Daiju Takase (the 9-13 fighter that WIPED HIS ASS with the UFC's so-called GOAT Anderson Silva) going up against 6'8", 600lb Emmanuel Yarborough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I use to think all of Bob Sapp fights where staged and predetermined but when I see Mirko punch his eye socket out my chin hit the floor. I though Sapp was just acting but the fucker was really in pain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Yeah, that was in K-1. Sapp was on the mat crying like a little bitch. Fucking hilarious.

Sapp's fights weren't staged, he was just a mega-roid freak that over-powered his opponents. Eventually people figured out how to survive the 1st 3 minutes and that was that.

He did have an EPIC battle with Big Nog though, where he must've power-bombed Nog like a hundred times before Nog finally pulled off the arm-bar.

Chuck Liddell - UFC version
His style never evolved and that is why I think he started losing as of late but I don't understand how you could not love to watch him fight. He was a damn good wrestler but preferred to stand and let his hands go. He beat a few nobodies but he also beat some world class fighters as well. I think the Randleman stoppage was a little early but I still enjoyed the fight. I've always hated Tito so Chuck whipping ass was great for me.

I always hated Chuck. My favorite moment was him trying to come into Pride with Dana White like he was some kinda bad-ass. And, in the end, he was reduced to tears by Rampage. Literally. Classic.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Aug 22 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #6

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

I was always a big fan of Matt Hughes.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 22 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #7

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 22 2010, 09:12 PM) *
I was always a big fan of Matt Hughes.

Any particular reason why? Hughes has been one of the more despised fighters around.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Aug 24 2010, 02:10 AM
Post #8

Proud American

I always like Matt Hughes but was never a favorite. His fight with Frank Trigg was a showcase of heart, grits, and guts. Never really knew much about him outside the Octagon but inside of it he seemed blue collar. Never talked trash(from what I seen) during the stare downs or while in the Octagon but went straight to your ass after that bell rung. His whole intentions was just to fight and that's it. Like I said I don't know much about him outside the ring so he could have been an asshole. I just remember him talking shit(jokingly) to Tim Sylvia once and kicking him in the ass but that's it.

I enjoyed watching Jeremy Horne fight as well. I think he is the only guy who beat both Liddell and Silva. Correct? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

Its a lot of guys from Pride that I remember watching fight but I just cant remember their names. I mainly use to catch it on the weekends but just watched it because I enjoyed watching fights period.

After the first two seasons of TUF the interest faded away. Plus I was never a fan of Tito.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Aug 24 2010, 06:16 AM
Post #9

Proud American

QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 20 2010, 11:26 PM) *
And there was something hilarious about seeing little ass Daiju Takase (the 9-13 fighter that WIPED HIS ASS with the UFC's so-called GOAT Anderson Silva) going up against 6'8", 600lb Emmanuel Yarborough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:http://www.gifnation.com/albums/fights/daiju_takase_vs_emmanuel_yarborough_in_pride_fc.gif)

(IMG:http://en.susumug.com/pride/980624/susumu04.jpg)

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Aug 24 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #10

Cerebral Ape

Member No.: 5,390

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 24 2010, 07:16 AM) *

This might be the greatest instance of someone getting fatted on ever. He just looks at him,"WTF is this little chinaman doing grabbing my foot, fuck it, I'm gonna smother him in chesticle."

Oh, and I think my favorite MMA fighter ever is that Crazy Horse guy.

This post has been edited by rusty_trombone: Aug 24 2010, 10:01 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 10:46 AM