IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Ricky Hatton CRIED before his fight with Manny Pacquiao.
Gambit808
post Mar 1 2012, 04:00 AM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

Catching up with the latest fight news i recently read and thought I'd share this interviewing of former 2 Division World Champion Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton by BBC Manchester that sort of stood out. In that interview Hatton would talk about the lead up to his bout against (current) WBO Champion Manny Pacquiao where he would stress that he was "overtrained" and mentally not all there to the point where one sparring session would make that clear.

Check out this quote:

I had peaked too soon. Everyone in the camp could see I needed a rest. There was one day when one of my sparring partners knocked me on my backside. I came out of the ring, sat on the steps and put a towel over my head and I just started sobbing and crying.

Rumor has it that the sparring partner that he's reffering to may have been Cuban Junior Middleweight Erislandy Lara whom (for those who don't know) was the fighter who gave Paul "The Punisher" Williams all he could handle when they fought last year and in most peoples eyes actually did enough to deserve the decision win.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Mar 1 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #2

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

Blah... Hatton.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 1 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

He was probably still traumatized from the Mayweather fight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Seriously though, it seems as if most of these fighters that share the ring with big superstars, never seem to be the same when they come up short.

Either they're too young or they dont have the experience that they've promoted to have. I look at fighters like Vargas who stepped in the ring with Trinidad, and was never the same afterwards. I cant think of any more off the top of my head, but Hatton was another victim of stepping in the ring with a lighter light-years better than him.

He did all of that, just to exhaust his arsenal, have it used against him, and get knocked out over the course of 10 rounds. Im hoping that this doesn't happen to Bradley, but it truly ruins fighters.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 1 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

Hmmm...I don't know 'bout why he cried BEFORE the Pac fight, but I sure as hell know why he cried AFTERWARD.....

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 1 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #5

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 1 2012, 06:16 PM) *
. I cant think of any more off the top of my head, but Hatton was another victim of stepping in the ring with a lighter light-years better than him.

David Reid...good future, lazy 'lid and all...entered that fight like that fly ass girl from high school, going into her freshman year of college, only to returned as a turned out speed bump w/ bad grades. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/black eye.gif)

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Mar 1 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

Guess Mayweather Sr. Was trying work the bitch out of him....

Oh well...

Hell,.. I kinda miss the coke sniffn baby...

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 1 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 1 2012, 05:00 AM) *
Catching up with the latest fight news i recently read and thought I'd share this interviewing of former 2 Division World Champion Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton by BBC Manchester that sort of stood out. In that interview Hatton would talk about the lead up to his bout against (current) WBO Champion Manny Pacquiao where he would stress that he was "overtrained" and mentally not all there to the point where one sparring session would make that clear.

Check out this quote:

I had peaked too soon. Everyone in the camp could see I needed a rest. There was one day when one of my sparring partners knocked me on my backside. I came out of the ring, sat on the steps and put a towel over my head and I just started sobbing and crying.

Rumor has it that the sparring partner that he's reffering to may have been Cuban Junior Middleweight Erislandy Lara whom (for those who don't know) was the fighter who gave Paul "The Punisher" Williams all he could handle when they fought last year and in most peoples eyes actually did enough to deserve the decision win.

wrong. it was a southpaw lightweight with less than 10 fights. also...he was not allowed to gain more than 5lbs after the initial weigh in. roger mayweather mentioned it in an interview.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 1 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 1 2012, 06:16 PM) *
He was probably still traumatized from the Mayweather fight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Seriously though, it seems as if most of these fighters that share the ring with big superstars, never seem to be the same when they come up short.

Either they're too young or they dont have the experience that they've promoted to have. I look at fighters like Vargas who stepped in the ring with Trinidad, and was never the same afterwards. I cant think of any more off the top of my head, but Hatton was another victim of stepping in the ring with a lighter light-years better than him.

He did all of that, just to exhaust his arsenal, have it used against him, and get knocked out over the course of 10 rounds. Im hoping that this doesn't happen to Bradley, but it truly ruins fighters.

it's got nothing to do with sharing the ring with superstars...and everything to do with how the body/mind is built. all it takes is one severe ass beating and any fighter will never be the same. it's very rare for any fighter to come back from a severe beating. that's what makes a guy like roberto duran so special. it's also what makes pac special too. it is even more rare thing for a fighter to come out of something like that and become a better fighter.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 1 2012, 08:46 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 1 2012, 06:57 PM) *
entered that fight like that fly ass girl from high school, going into her freshman year of college, only to returned as a turned out speed bump w/ bad grades.

That pretty much sums it up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Mar 1 2012, 07:12 PM) *
Hell,.. I kinda miss the coke sniffn baby...

You and I both!

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2012, 08:24 PM) *
he was not allowed to gain more than 5lbs after the initial weigh in. roger mayweather mentioned it in an interview.

If we are talking about the weight for the Hatton/Pacquiao fight, then you're wrong. Hatton rehydrated to 152 when he fought Manny. Now if he just didn't care, and fully rehydrated along with paying a fine, then I stand corrected. If Im totally off with what you're referring to, then I'll kindly STFU (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2012, 08:27 PM) *
it's got nothing to do with sharing the ring with superstars...and everything to do with how the body/mind is built. all it takes is one severe ass beating and any fighter will never be the same. it's very rare for any fighter to come back from a severe beating. that's what makes a guy like roberto duran so special. it's also what makes pac special too. it is even more rare thing for a fighter to come out of something like that and become a better fighter.

I just made it a big deal to throw "superstars" in there, because thats what started Hatton's demise as a fighter. You're right though, all it takes is one severe beating by anybody. Duran did well with reviving his career after a terrible loss. As for Pac...who really witnessed him getting his slice of humble pie?

I mean seriously, it's not like he took those KO losses at the pinnacle of his career, and the apparent losses that he's taken as of late, get swept under the rug anyhow...some Im sure some folks have gotten a strong case of Pacnesia when it comes to his first two embarrassing losses.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 1 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 1 2012, 09:46 PM) *
If we are talking about the weight for the Hatton/Pacquiao fight, then you're wrong. Hatton rehydrated to 152 when he fought Manny. Now if he just didn't care, and fully rehydrated along with paying a fine, then I stand corrected. If Im totally off with what you're referring to, then I'll kindly STFU.

I just made it a big deal to throw "superstars" in there, because thats what started Hatton's demise as a fighter. You're right though, all it takes is one severe beating by anybody. Duran did well with reviving his career after a terrible loss. As for Pac...who really witnessed him getting his slice of humble pie?

I mean seriously, it's not like he took those KO losses at the pinnacle of his career, and the apparent losses that he's taken as of late, get swept under the rug anyhow...some Im sure some folks have gotten a strong case of Pacnesia when it comes to his first two embarrassing losses.

i don't know the particulars...but from my understanding...when they set limits on what a guy can weigh before he enters the ring, there is usually a second weigh in 24 hours after the first. what he gains prior to entering the ring is then checked by hbo's unofficial scale which i trust about as much as their punchstats and ledermans' scorecard. make what u will of it...but roger mayweather confirmed what i suspected all along with pac opponents and their weight.

i thought collazo started hattons demise. he dropped him in that last round but they didn't call it. i didn't witness pac's losses when they happened early in his career but i have seen video. he wasn't exactly wrecked...but still...coming back from ko losses isn't an easy thing.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 06:21 PM