IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@10PM(ET)/7PM(PT):Rios/Alverado-Donaire/Nishioka-SPOILERS, No New Threads, Public Streams, or Discussion of UFC Card
Franchize
post Oct 14 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #71

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 14 2012, 02:22 PM) *
I think Alvarado should've studied that Abril tape a little longer. That shoulder roll of his was hilarious, so say the least. He REALLY showed the world how ineffective the shoulder roll is, when you dont use it properly. As we all agreed on, Mike took waaay too many left hands for my liking, and Rios totally mindfucked him on more than a few occasions when he leaped and landed hooks. I assumed that Mike was trying to regroup after the clinches were broken up (or after they punched their way out), but Rios was on his ass more than he may have anticipated.

Alvarado's face was not able to sustain those punches, and I knew for a fact that Rios wasn't going to lose any power on his trip to 140. I found it funny that Rios mentioned after the fight, that he'll "carry his power up to 147" (paraphrasing)...hmmm. You can see in his eyes that he already new what his next assignment would be.

C'mon guys, had Alvarado won, do you REALLY think that he would've been a formidable opponent for Manny? Translation: A ticket seller. If anything, Alvarado's popularity is enough land him fights with guys like JMM and Bradley, but not Manny. Regardless of whether or not JMM wins in Dec., this Rios/Pacquiao fight has been in the works for at least a year...reminiscent of Bradley's trip to TR for a Pac fight, which was evident early in '11.

Alvarado will land a few more good fights, but I believe the public (including myself) gave him too much credit for the Prescott win, in which Prescott did most of the work of beating himself (gassing out). I wont lie, I thought that Rios would lose this fight, initially, but I almost forgot how tough this dude can be. Those last couple of outings with the shitty weight situations, led me to think that.

I dont see Rios fighting guys that we want him to fight, like Maidana, Matthysse, and Ortiz. Speaking of Ortiz, how many times is GBP going to carry this dude, after he dicks up big opportunities? How long does he have left on his contract? Me thinks that GBP is going to give him the boot when his time is up. The only guys I can see Rios fighting, is Lamont Peterson, maybe Jessie Vargas, JMM, and of course Manny.

Being the fact that the Vanes/Lara fight is happening, we may see signs of reconciliation from TR and GBP....well, it looks good, if the fight isn't too big. If the big fight is, then Im sure purse splits, dates, and venues will kill negotiations.

lmao he was shoulder rollin INTO the punches. Rios isnt very skilled, but he certainly has power. Therefore, I dot know what the fuck was going onin Alvarado's camp that made them decide to ue their biggest exposure fight to experiment with being a real boxer lol It was like watching James Toney footage in rewind while the fighter is fighting in fast forward. He put up a spirited effort but I think the fight was the battle of the bad trainers lol Alvarado's trainer was telling him "throw the right hand and step around." I was like, how about he get his fucking hands up and dodge a punch first lmao
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Oct 14 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #72

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I wish we could have head Lamps and Larry last night instead of Bob Papa and Max Kellerman. Jim would have created the kind of amazing commentary that this fight deserves. And Larry would care because it was a classic!

Jack

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 14 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #73

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 14 2012, 02:52 PM) *
The way I see it this was a win win for arum. If rios lost he could have had a rematch, and if he won he looks good for pac. Either way I think if he fights pac it will be reminiscent of margarito pac. If he fights marquez I think it will resembles dias marquez.

Nishioka was everything I thought he would be. He was off for a year and hes an old champion that just came for a paycheck. He didn't fight until he was forced to and then got baited into a simple right hand counter. The one thing that surprised me was how much bigger donaire looked. If he isn't gonna fight the top prime fighters in the division them he should probably move up. But even if he does he will probably be like "Gamboa needs to get me excited, ill get bored" and proceed to take easier fights even though he insists he wants the best.

End note, what's up w/ hbo interrogating the ref for a GOOD stoppage? Alvarado was past ready to go, was not defending well and eating monster shots. That ref saved alvarado from some swelling of the brain

And how about dlh tweeting something to extent of "I dare rios to fight matthysse"

Arum always wins. The only loses I remember him taking, is Oscar and Floyd leaving him. Also, the results of that first Salido/Lopez fight (where Lopez was supposed to dust Salido), as well as the rematch where cards were fixed, but Lopez got his clock cleaned.

I dont even want to talk anymore about that the Donaire fight, and his recent hesitant opponents. The only one who made a gallant effort, was Vasquez Jr. I cant stand Donaire, and I dont feel sorry for his jacked up opponent selection, thanks to Arum.

If nobody here remembers, Nonito got the big nuts last year and tried to jump ship from TR. His ass could've been on the shelf, but Bob is being nice and giving him opponents who are afraid to fight back. That was sarcasm of course, because Donaire's opponents are making him look bad. Nice one Bob, nice one. Suck it up Nonito.

You already know how I feel about Pat Russell, and maybe JBO was interrogating him because of the vivid memories of him messing up the Dawson/Hopkins shenanigans last October. As for Oscar, maybe he's doing his best to reach out to Bob to make business moves. Think about it, Matthysse isn't a big ticket seller yet, so Im sure GBP wouldn't ind being on the lesser end of negotiations with Bob for a Rios fight.

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 14 2012, 05:28 PM) *
lmao he was shoulder rollin INTO the punches. Rios isnt very skilled, but he certainly has power. Therefore, I dot know what the fuck was going onin Alvarado's camp that made them decide to ue their biggest exposure fight to experiment with being a real boxer lol It was like watching James Toney footage in rewind while the fighter is fighting in fast forward. He put up a spirited effort but I think the fight was the battle of the bad trainers lol Alvarado's trainer was telling him "throw the right hand and step around." I was like, how about he get his fucking hands up and dodge a punch first lmao

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Yep, bad idea to experiment in this fight...especially with a guy who doesn't care about being behind on the cards. That shoulder roll stunk, and that big ass block head of Alvarado's was getting popped with those lefts, like it was nobody's business. His corner sounded like John Scully in the Dawson fight, and Tony Morgan in Berto's corner for the Ortiz fight. Too many voices, pure panic, and underlying frustration after some rounds.

If anything, he should've been stepping to Brandon's left to take some sting off of that left hand that he fell in love with getting hit with. Dude was a sucker that left hand. Well damn, Mike's trainer did say "throw the right and step around"...which meant that Mike's punch would've land on Rios's LEFT side, then he was supposed to step around to Rio's LEFT. Ohhhhh...so the motherfucker wasn't listening then. Okay cool, I get it now. LOL.

I was looking for you on here last night to talk about his trainer, though I dont quite know if he is a hometown trainer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 14 2012, 05:34 PM) *
I wish we could have head Lamps and Larry last night instead of Bob Papa and Max Kellerman. Jim would have created the kind of amazing commentary that this fight deserves. And Larry would care because it was a classic!

I agree Jack! I cant stand Jim and Larry, but Papa and his lack of enthusiasm (until a knockdown happens) and his untrained eyes, just blows it every time. I got this weird pain in my side when I heard his voice at the beginning of the program.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 14 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #74

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i guess i'm alone on the rios/alvarado fight. it wasn't that spectacular. what i saw(again) was how easily rios can be out boxed by very basic boxing skills. alvarado's imitation shoulder roll was pathetic. it was clear that rios was stronger and getting the better of the inside exchanges. if alvarado stood behind that jab...things might have turned out different. both alvarado and rios will be easy work for pac or jmm. i can't see rios beating many at 140. this was his high point. he won't beat bradley, jmm, pac...and arum won't serve him up to garcia, matthysse or judah. cashing him out against pac...and getting pac back to the "top" seems to be the idea. i called this months ago. toprank....send me my check!!!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 14 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #75

Cruiserweight

oh yeah...nishioka turned out to be better than i thought. he gave donaire way too much respect. i think he should have let his hands go. he landed some decent shots after the first knockdown. he's a solid puncher and knows how to exploit mistakes. waiting for donaire to make one was a mistake. he should have forced exchanges to get that mistake. sure he would have put himself in harms way sooner...but it would have been worth the gamble.

donaire is very disappointing. this talk of not being able to get up for rigondeaux reminds me of roy before he got ko'd by tarver. i don't want to see donaire fight another no hoper who i've never heard of. i've known of rigondeaux since the amateurs and i would argue that he is more popular and skilled that donaires last 4 opponents. the only acceptable opponents for donaire at this point are mares, moreno, agbeko or rigondeaux. i don't want to hear any more talk of him being pound for pound anything until he proves that he's the best in his own division.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 14 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #76

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 14 2012, 06:05 PM) *
Arum always wins. The only loses I remember him taking, is Oscar and Floyd leaving him. Also, the results of that first Salido/Lopez fight (where Lopez was supposed to dust Salido), as well as the rematch where cards were fixed, but Lopez got his clock cleaned.

I dont even want to talk anymore about that the Donaire fight, and his recent hesitant opponents. The only one who made a gallant effort, was Vasquez Jr. I cant stand Donaire, and I dont feel sorry for his jacked up opponent selection, thanks to Arum.

If nobody here remembers, Nonito got the big nuts last year and tried to jump ship from TR. His ass could've been on the shelf, but Bob is being nice and giving him opponents who are afraid to fight back. That was sarcasm of course, because Donaire's opponents are making him look bad. Nice one Bob, nice one. Suck it up Nonito.

You already know how I feel about Pat Russell, and maybe JBO was interrogating him because of the vivid memories of him messing up the Dawson/Hopkins shenanigans last October. As for Oscar, maybe he's doing his best to reach out to Bob to make business moves. Think about it, Matthysse isn't a big ticket seller yet, so Im sure GBP wouldn't ind being on the lesser end of negotiations with Bob for a Rios fight.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Yep, bad idea to experiment in this fight...especially with a guy who doesn't care about being behind on the cards. That shoulder roll stunk, and that big ass block head of Alvarado's was getting popped with those lefts, like it was nobody's business. His corner sounded like John Scully in the Dawson fight, and Tony Morgan in Berto's corner for the Ortiz fight. Too many voices, pure panic, and underlying frustration after some rounds.

If anything, he should've been stepping to Brandon's left to take some sting off of that left hand that he fell in love with getting hit with. Dude was a sucker that left hand. Well damn, Mike's trainer did say "throw the right and step around"...which meant that Mike's punch would've land on Rios's LEFT side, then he was supposed to step around to Rio's LEFT. Ohhhhh...so the motherfucker wasn't listening then. Okay cool, I get it now. LOL.

I was looking for you on here last night to talk about his trainer, though I dont quite know if he is a hometown trainer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I agree Jack! I cant stand Jim and Larry, but Papa and his lack of enthusiasm (until a knockdown happens) and his untrained eyes, just blows it every time. I got this weird pain in my side when I heard his voice at the beginning of the program.

My issue is, dont start talking to him about his footwork if he isnt even doing the most elementary thing in boxing to defend himself. I agree, he was circling the wrong way. He also failed to create space once his combinations were done. He also squared up his body when he was throwing his jab. But damn all that. You can tell him that later. Just tell him to get his fuckin hands up lmaoooooooo The way that fight was going, the first fighter that employed any sort of quality defense would have won the fight.

I hate to admit it. While I like Bob Papa, Lampley's enthusiasm was needed for that fight. I wont concede Larry Merchant though. I cant think of oe scenario where him being around is a good thing lol.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Oct 14 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #77

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

Is Donaire beating good fighters and making them look like they are overmatched OR is he beating guys that are truly overmatched?

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 14 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #78

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 14 2012, 06:48 PM) *
i guess i'm alone on the rios/alvarado fight. it wasn't that spectacular. what i saw(again) was how easily rios can be out boxed by very basic boxing skills. alvarado's imitation shoulder roll was pathetic. it was clear that rios was stronger and getting the better of the inside exchanges. if alvarado stood behind that jab...things might have turned out different. both alvarado and rios will be easy work for pac or jmm. i can't see rios beating many at 140. this was his high point. he won't beat bradley, jmm, pac...and arum won't serve him up to garcia, matthysse or judah. cashing him out against pac...and getting pac back to the "top" seems to be the idea. i called this months ago. toprank....send me my check!!!

I like this analysis. I felt the announcers were forcing it with the whole instance classic approach. It was a nice slugfest but honestly I got more amped during the ajose Lucas fight. I would have loved Emmanuel to call this fight, his emphasis is never forced and his energy when he does get excited is very genuine but he has the cancer treatment going on =\.... The fact that arum was saying the tailor made winner would get pac might have played into it too

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Oct 14 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #79

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Some good points,

I think some may be reluctant to put Rios-Alverado in classic fight status because neither of these guys are skilled. But for me, to be honest, I love a brawl like this, and will always prefer to watch this type of fighter over a masterful boxer. The brawler fighter. Two brawler fighters are just more exciting to me. This is the kind of stuff you show to MMA naysayers of boxing who think boxing is dead. And considering some of the disappointing fights we have had in recent years, thank you Brandon and Mike for giving us this great thriller. It wasn't scientific, it wasn't pretty, but it was beautiful. Boxing needs more fights like this to get the general public interested in the sport again!

I don't know if Arum will do a rematch, as much as I would love to see one! He will look to give Rios to the Pacquiao-Marquez IV winner, and unless Manny or Juan has aged over-night , Rios will be stopped on a TKO most likely around the 10th round. I would rather see a Rios-Alverado II. In the old days of boxing, Rios-Alverado would have a trilogy easily. Could you imagine if this fight had been on prime time commercial TV!? I would rather see great brawls like this between two evenly matched fighters rather than using one guy as a stepping stone for a millionaire fighters payday. It's better for the fans to give them the best fights who will produce two sided action. Most important, Rios-Alerado has the general public talking about boxing again, in a positive way, and (for once) it doesn't involve Manny or Floyd. And trying to get the general public to talk about boxing in a positive way these days is like pulling teeth. Brandon Rios and Mike Alverado gave us an incredible fight, and that's what is most important.

Jack

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 15 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #80

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 14 2012, 10:50 PM) *
I like this analysis. I felt the announcers were forcing it with the whole instance classic approach. It was a nice slugfest but honestly I got more amped during the ajose Lucas fight. I would have loved Emmanuel to call this fight, his emphasis is never forced and his energy when he does get excited is very genuine but he has the cancer treatment going on =\.... The fact that arum was saying the tailor made winner would get pac might have played into it too

the ajose/lucas fight was pretty damn good!!! i'd like to see ajose again but i think that fight took a lot out of him. matthysse destroys rios. yeah...steward is usually more genuine when he isn't letting lamps and merch steer him. i wish him well...because he is missed on the telecast. i'm serious...arum needs to cut us a check!!! we are responsible for reviving pacs career if he can get past jmm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 11:51 AM