> Miguel Cotto, Time to call it quits?
checkleft
post Apr 2 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 2 2013, 01:19 PM) *
I tried to tell everyone that the only person he impressed by fighting Trout was boxing purist and avid followers like us. Normally, you want to see guys take on tough, under the radar challenges like this but let's be frank. That was a bad business decision.

I Like that he fought trout but as you said the mainstream doesnt really know him. But he fought the best 154 pounder available when he could have fought a coddled baby whos made his living off of being light skinned and beating welterweights (yea red, I'm talking to you)

He also did us a favor, by losing to trout he basically forced Canelo to fight a worse stylistic match up in trout to actually see what this kid can do.

Cotto is a world class fighter competitor and he seems to be a very passionate good person. Boxing needs more cottos
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 2 2013, 08:03 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 2 2013, 05:18 PM) *
at this point...i think all the guys u named beat him. i'd like to see him pick a few big fights to go out on...but guys in his age bracket, size and skill level. if he can get a big win or two...maybe the mayweather rematch as a send off. he's paid his dues and deserves the right to pick and choose his opposition.

I disagree, Angulo can't beat him, Vanes has nothing for him, maybe Rosado could but I have my doubts about that

He could retire now, he's earned that right with his warrior like fighting mentality but I wouldn't mind seeing him fight 2 more times, maybe a tuneup fight then a big fight, and win or lose he retires afterwards

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Apr 2 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 2 2013, 09:03 PM) *
I disagree, Angulo can't beat him, Vanes has nothing for him, maybe Rosado could but I have my doubts about that

He could retire now, he's earned that right with his warrior like fighting mentality but I wouldn't mind seeing him fight 2 more times, maybe a tuneup fight then a big fight, and win or lose he retires afterwards

Sheeeit that would be Margarito all over again, accept younger and Cotto is much older now.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 2 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #14

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Apr 2 2013, 02:45 PM) *
Yes, I agree with all you stated but then again what would've happened to him had he faced Bundrage and lost?? He would've more than likely been written off and never would've gotten the Floyd or Trout fight. It will not be a big deal for Cotto to have a loss to Trout (especially if he beats Canelo) and especially not to Mayweather (since he's the best in the world), he should still be able to fight the likes of Bundrage (especially now with his loss) or he'd be smarter to go after Ishe and get that title which puts him right back into contention again and maybe even a rematch with Trout (should he lose to Alvarez).

Considering the amount of money Miguel made facing Floyd and then Trout then I'd say he didn't do a bad job of managing himself into those big money making bouts despite the fact that he lost to both of them.

If he faced Bundrage and lost, then yes, he should've hung them up at that point. Now that you put it that way, losing to Trout wasn't such a bad thing, especially if Trout beats Canelo. LOL

There's absolutely nothing wrong with him losing to Floyd (as we all agreed on), but the thing is, that loss didn't take ANYTHING out of Miguel, which is why people didn't write him off after the loss. He actually looked better losing in that fight, than he did in the Trout fight.

With that in mind, Cotto should've just pumped his brakes and taken an easier fight. Seriously, most guys don't look good losing, and walk away with their health at the same time. Cotto didn't take a beating in the Floyd fight, but still looked good, not many fighters can attest to that.

How would you see a Cotto/Smith fight playing out?

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 2 2013, 11:45 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 2 2013, 08:46 PM) *
Sheeeit that would be Margarito all over again, accept younger and Cotto is much older now.

LOL I doubt it due to the fact Angulo has looked like shit lately,I don't see what you guys see in Angulo's recent run of fights that gives him some kid of edge on Cotto. he aint the same fighter after the beat down Kirkland put on him. I hope they do fight because I'll put my money on Miguel and put my kids thru college lol. Angulo is nothing like Margarito but if they fight I'd be happy to paypal bet some of you believers lol

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Apr 3 2013, 07:08 AM
Post #16

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

maybe the mayweather fight damaged him... He took a pounding in that bout no matter how people spin it and say he looked good. His faced looked like someone walked on it with baseball cleets

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 3 2013, 10:25 AM
Post #17

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I don't think Cotto is done at all. I just think, like Manny Pacquiao, he'd better not fight a pure boxer ever again in his career lol Stick to the brawlers and the punching bags. Cotto is a smarter fighter than Manny, but I don't see Cotto beating anyone @ 154 that has actual boxing skill. Him and Manny need to fight those guys whose claim to fame are their punching power. Guys that are there to be hit.

That being said, there's no shame in losing to Trout and Mayweather. Those are two talented Boxers!

This post has been edited by Franchize: Apr 3 2013, 10:26 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 3 2013, 11:25 AM
Post #18

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 3 2013, 08:08 AM) *
maybe the mayweather fight damaged him... He took a pounding in that bout no matter how people spin it and say he looked good. His faced looked like someone walked on it with baseball cleets

His face looked like that after the Margarito rematch, and Margarito didn't hit him as much as Floyd did. Cotto's face has evolved over the years, at one point, he used to cut and bleed easily, now he just bruises nowadays.

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 3 2013, 11:25 AM) *
I don't think Cotto is done at all. I just think, like Manny Pacquiao, he'd better not fight a pure boxer ever again in his career lol

Couldn't have said it better myself. LOL

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 3 2013, 02:31 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 2 2013, 08:03 PM) *

i think he learned some of the things necessary to beat guys like angulo after fighting margarito twice...but that may be a toss up fight.

vanes is a pretty sharp/fast guy and has a size advantage on cotto. another toss up.

rosado definitely beats cotto at this point in his career. rosado is bigger than trout, almost as slick and punches harder.

i agree on the last part

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 3 2013, 02:32 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 2 2013, 11:45 PM) *
LOL I doubt it due to the fact Angulo has looked like shit lately,I don't see what you guys see in Angulo's recent run of fights that gives him some kid of edge on Cotto. he aint the same fighter after the beat down Kirkland put on him. I hope they do fight because I'll put my money on Miguel and put my kids thru college lol. Angulo is nothing like Margarito but if they fight I'd be happy to paypal bet some of you believers lol

angulo has looked like shit

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 05:56 PM