Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gamboa..., Fuck Gamboa!
BoxingEinstein
post Mar 14 2012, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243

Although I understand Gamboa's situation and having a dispute with BobFather Arum but he should have known that The BobFather would pull some "catch" on either his contracts, money, deals, and fights. Look at Pacquiao, Clottey, DelaHoya and what happened to Mayweather. Gamboa had to know somewhat of what he was getting into and there were reports in the past that Gamboa wasn't so fond of his past deals with Top Rank in his fights. To pull this bullshit on his fans and hardcore boxing fans is nothing short than disrespectful. He should have outlined the clear deal he wanted to The BobFather instead of calling out Rios and asking for one of the press conferences to be put in his hometown then look at the deal and not decide to show up.

I like Gamboa as a fighter and he is extraordinarily talented and a athletic specimen but I'm tired of fighters bitching about their deals when they should get their own lawyers who can read them the fine print of deals and contracts instead of putting everything to their promoter or manager. You can't trust neither promoter or manager when it comes to the sport of boxing. Gamboa's ignorance and attitude of not researching costed the boxing fans a fight that many wanted to see and would have paid good hard earned money for.

With that said, fuck Gamboa and give us Rios-Marquez or DeMarco-Rios.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 14 2012, 06:11 PM
Post #2

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Mar 14 2012, 05:10 PM) *
Although I understand Gamboa's situation and having a dispute with BobFather Arum but he should have known that The BobFather would pull some "catch" on either his contracts, money, deals, and fights. Look at Pacquiao, Clottey, DelaHoya and what happened to Mayweather. Gamboa had to know somewhat of what he was getting into and there were reports in the past that Gamboa wasn't so fond of his past deals with Top Rank in his fights. To pull this bullshit on his fans and hardcore boxing fans is nothing short than disrespectful. He should have outlined the clear deal he wanted to The BobFather instead of calling out Rios and asking for one of the press conferences to be put in his hometown then look at the deal and not decide to show up.

I like Gamboa as a fighter and he is extraordinarily talented and a athletic specimen but I'm tired of fighters bitching about their deals when they should get their own lawyers who can read them the fine print of deals and contracts instead of putting everything to their promoter or manager. You can't trust neither promoter or manager when it comes to the sport of boxing. Gamboa's ignorance and attitude of not researching costed the boxing fans a fight that many wanted to see and would have paid good hard earned money for.

I don't think that fight is likely to happen.

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Mar 14 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #3

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 14 2012, 07:11 PM) *
I don't think that fight is likely to happen.

Why not? Arum can get Marquez for another great payday against one of the rising stars and knockout artist in boxing today. Marquez even was interested in a fight against Rios at onetime and it be made easily. Marquez is fighting the softest puncher in lightweight history; against a guy with only 1 KO out of 40 wins. Easy victory and he can fight Rios at Mandalay Bay.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 14 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Honestly, I NEVER believed this fight was going to happen anyway. It's been a while since a weight class mismatch has gone actually happened. I hardly much buzz about this fight other than hardcore fans (that want to see it), and the recent smoke and mirrors that fell through after Gamboa failed to attend the pressers.

I honestly dont feel bad for Gamboa and his contractual issues, because he signed the contract with TR, so hopefully his manager or whoever read it before he signed it. Now Arum is gonna have fun with his little scawny ass, and he damn sure doesn't have enough money to dance with the devil, so let's say goodbye to Yuri in the meantime.

As I've been saying over the past few weeks, if Arum had to choose between Gamboa and Rios...the choice wouldn't be hard. Gamboa hasn't made it hard for him, he actually gave him a jump start in kicking him to the wind...

+Quote Post
flazi
post Mar 14 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #5

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

i don't think Gamboa wanted this fight. I would love to hear more from his side but it seems to me that Arum is being Arum and tried to force a fight contract down Gamboa's throat and he rejected it. oh and another thing, this fight doesn't benefit Gamboa. He is way too small. Rios shouldn't even be fighting someone that small.

This post has been edited by flazi: Mar 14 2012, 08:09 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 14 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Mar 14 2012, 09:01 PM) *
Why not? Arum can get Marquez for another great payday against one of the rising stars and knockout artist in boxing today.

Shiiiiit, why would Arum be dumb enough to do that? Marquez is one foot out of the door, and dangerous as shit for Rios and for most remaining fighters even at this point of his career.

Rios is one of Arum's next cash cows, and he has a decent following. No need for him to put his cash cow in hot water against an old dangerous JMM.

+Quote Post
Slumpage
post Mar 15 2012, 06:40 AM
Post #7

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,226

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Mar 14 2012, 05:10 PM) *

Without knowing the full details, its a bit difficult to comment. However from reading the various articles I think I can see what's going on here... We've heard about Arum pulling this kind of stunt before with Pavlik etc. Top Rank aren't saying that Gamboa's signed any contract, all i've heard/read is that they got an email from Team Gamboa agreeing to the fight in principle, and according to Ben's latest article he apparently accepted a $70k advance on the fight. Now it is not inconcievable to think that the terms Gamboa agreed to in principle didn't turn up on the final contract as he expected. I've read Arum had included a 5 yr promotional contract extension on the fight contract, which effectively gives him control over Gamboa till he's retired, dude's already 30yrs old right? That one detail alone would make me not wanna sign the fight contract. Now obviously Gamboa has tried to talk to Arum/Top Rank in regards to his displeasure with the fight contract sent to him. Instead of negotiating anything with Gamboa, Top Rank just pressed ahead with the promotion, basically trying to force Gamboa to sign a contract that contains terms he is unwilling to agree to. To me that looks a lot like bullying, So Gamby dug his heels in... Considering the fight contract hasn't been signed, I fail to see how Arum can even sue the dude. If the email agreement was binding, why the need for a fight contract? Appears like the agreement was contingent on terms being agreed and contracts being signed. I don't see how Gamboa can be blamed for what looks to me like some shady shit by TR. Yeah he called for the fight, then agreed with his promoter to the fight in principle, accepts an advance, then his promter sent him a contract for the fight he was unhappy with. He has a right to not sign a contract if he's unhappy with it, I highly doubt his Top Rank promtional contract states he HAS to sign any fight contract presented to him by TR. So Yuri takes up his complaint with his promoter, who decides to ignore Yuri's complaints, and press ahead with promoting the fight. Surely if Arum has spent cash and made various deals with HBO, sponsors etc, the onus is on him the promoter to secure the fighters he has promised to these entities. By causing a dispute with one of the fighters by refusing to negotiate terms included on the unsigned fight contract, wouldn't Top Rank be considered "in the wrong"? I dunno man, without further details its hard to really know what's going on or who's right/wrong. I mean if Gamboa accepted an advance, didn't Arum get him to sign anything pertaining to his purse from the fight, if so then why would Gamboa be now unhappy with the amount contained in the fight contract. He's expressed unhappiness with his TR deals before, but he still went and did the fight, so its not like he's ever reneged on a contract he doesn't like before. However this time he has, suggesting to me at least that he obviously feels like he has SOME legal argument.

Oh, and as for Gamboa not being "on point" with his business.. Lets not forget that he is relatively new to the Pro game, and has had to learn shit other fighters learn in the early years in regards to the business side of things. Also when he first escaped Cuba he was in Germany being looked after by this Oner dude, who basically funded Gamboa's "new" life till he started fighting and paying off that "debt". It was this guy whom Gamboa trusted that decided to sign Gamboa with Top Rank, to Gamboa's inexperienced eyes, signing with Top Rank made perfect sense, its only now he knows about the BS involved with them. This explains why Gamboa included Oner in his comments about being unhappy with his promoters.

Lastly, Gamboa may have been in Floyd's gym, but he quite clearly stated that he was just there to train for the Rios fight as it was in Vegas. When questioned about signing with Mayweather promotions, he denied that flat out. His no show at the press conf was due to TR being unwilling to negotiate terms included on the fight contract sent to him. If they had been willing to do that, Yuri would've shown up. Yet all i'm reading is how Gamboa's a douche for not showing up... Personally if I was him, I would've shown up, then used that stage to announce my displeasure with the contract, that i have yet to sign it and if its not resolved then there's no fight. But that's me...

Bottomline, I see folk are pissed about this fight not happening, but I'm still blaming Arum till I see proof that Gamboa signed and agreed to the terms, THEN changed his mind. Up till now, all i've heard is he asked for the fight, agreed to the fight, got sent a poor contract and refused to sign it, asked for it to be changed, got refused. You can say its late in the day, but it seems like TR made it that way imo... This practice of signing fight contracts late in the day makes it so that promoters can build up an event, gauge the estimated revenue THEN send out contracts for what the fighters are gonna make... All well and good, till you have a fighter refuse to sign the paperwork you present. If that's because of a disagreement with the promter and the fighter, well then the onus should be on the promter to at least TRY and sort that out. Instead they just hold the press conference, call Yuri a diva then stage a brawl between Rios and some next randon Cuban guy called Abril... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Mar 15 2012, 06:42 AM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 14 2012, 08:04 PM) *
Honestly, I NEVER believed this fight was going to happen anyway. It's been a while since a weight class mismatch has gone actually happened. I hardly much buzz about this fight other than hardcore fans (that want to see it), and the recent smoke and mirrors that fell through after Gamboa failed to attend the pressers.

I honestly dont feel bad for Gamboa and his contractual issues, because he signed the contract with TR, so hopefully his manager or whoever read it before he signed it. Now Arum is gonna have fun with his little scawny ass, and he damn sure doesn't have enough money to dance with the devil, so let's say goodbye to Yuri in the meantime.

As I've been saying over the past few weeks, if Arum had to choose between Gamboa and Rios...the choice wouldn't be hard. Gamboa hasn't made it hard for him, he actually gave him a jump start in kicking him to the wind...

I completely agree..

Even though the fight was announced I still had a funny feeling about it..

In defense of Yuri's dumb ass, atleast he has the guts to stand up for himself within his contractual agreement.

(We can probably credit that to him working out in Mayweather's gym)

+Quote Post
Thickback
post Mar 15 2012, 07:20 AM
Post #9

Strawweight

Member No.: 12,355

Typical Top Rank BS. How can you say fuck you to Gamboa without knowing the full story. TR has a history of issues with their fighters so how can you look at one side of this? If Gamboa breached his contract, then he deserves the consequences, but for TR to base their law suit on rival promotional companies advising him to breach his contract is plain petty. What proof do they have of such claims? We saw Timothy Bradley pull out of the Khan fight for seemingly the same reason. He was publicly prosecuted but now his move is oaying off. Maybe Gamboa is of the same mindframe Bradley was last year.

+Quote Post
Slumpage
post Mar 15 2012, 07:45 AM
Post #10

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,226

QUOTE (Thickback @ Mar 15 2012, 07:20 AM) *
Typical Top Rank BS. How can you say fuck you to Gamboa without knowing the full story. TR has a history of issues with their fighters so how can you look at one side of this? If Gamboa breached his contract, then he deserves the consequences, but for TR to base their law suit on rival promotional companies advising him to breach his contract is plain petty. What proof do they have of such claims? We saw Timothy Bradley pull out of the Khan fight for seemingly the same reason. He was publicly prosecuted but now his move is oaying off. Maybe Gamboa is of the same mindframe Bradley was last year.

For real... Didn't consider that actually. I mean Arum wants to bitch about rivals trying to "poach" his fighters, then what exactly does he think he did to Gary Shaw in regards to Timmy?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 02:05 PM