IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather-Alexander? Not Guerrero? (Topics Merged), Update:IBF Will Not Sanction Mayweather-Alexander (Brook is Mandatory)
duwdu
post Feb 6 2013, 07:41 PM
Post #121

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,536

QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 6 2013, 05:31 PM) *
That's what I was thinking. But I think its a bluff to make guerrero take whatever he is being offered that he DOESN'T deserve and shut the fuck up. I like this fight better than guerrero anyway even tho Alexander does some dirty work too he has fought better guys.

Quick thinking. I got brook if it happens

Me too (for Guerrero-Brook.)

P34c3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 6 2013, 07:45 PM
Post #122

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 23 2013, 03:02 PM) *
floyd is running out of options. i don't believe he can beat trout. canelo isn't going to be an easy fight. guerrero was his best option. i think bradley is probably the most deserving though. anything other than the names i just mentioned really don't interest me. i'll focus on the up and comers and spare myself the let down if he fights someone else.

Well, this is a very smart move on Floyd's part. It'll start the pathway to unifying the division, when he beats Alexander then he will be the main guy (not that he isn't now) but this will add another title/belt in that division that he can solidify. At the moment Bradley is already scheduled for a fight, plus rumor has it that Floyd is using this talk of the Alexander fight as a bargaining chip for some other endeavour but I guess we'll have to wait to see what that chip is all about.

Anybody got any ideas why Floyd needs a bargaining chip and exactly what that "chip" may be??

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Feb 6 2013, 11:12 PM
Post #123

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 11,536

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 6 2013, 08:45 PM) *
Well, this is a very smart move on Floyd's part. It'll start the pathway to unifying the division, when he beats Alexander then he will be the main guy (not that he isn't now) but this will add another title/belt in that division that he can solidify. At the moment Bradley is already scheduled for a fight, plus rumor has it that Floyd is using this talk of the Alexander fight as a bargaining chip for some other endeavour but I guess we'll have to wait to see what that chip is all about.

Anybody got any ideas why Floyd needs a bargaining chip and exactly what that "chip" may be??

From the conspiracy theory part of my mind:

One of the reasons Floyd would possibly need a bargaining chip is that a large portion of potential PPV buyers were not convinced Mayweather vs Guerrero was worth buying, or even of being taken seriously. Even some experts also think so.

The bargaining chip is to create the impression it would not be Guerrero, thereby causing some [mostly] casual fans who initially would think Guerrero would be an easy fight for Mayweather, to start having the belief that Mayweather is scared of/ducking Guerrero. This impression quickly goes viral, as does anything Floyd, and generates appreciable numbers of additional 24/7 interest, and ultimately PPV buys.

Already with the frenzy caused by "Mayweather passing gas..." (apologies to Cshel,) some who were initially saying Guerrero would not be worth it, have started saying they'd rather it's Guerrero than the "boring" Alexander.

P34c3

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Feb 7 2013, 03:44 AM
Post #124

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

Floyd fighting an unknown black guy on cinco de mayo?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 7 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #125

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Honestly, at this point, I believe a Kell Brook fight would sell more than an Alexander or Guerrero fight. I can see a Kell Brook fight happening by the end of this year, that's if Floyd opts to not fight in September.

From what I know, the May date is reserved, but I'm not so sure about the September date. If we're going to have a Chavez/Martinez rematch, and possibly a JMM/Pac rematch (if it doesn't happen in April), then I believe that that's enough entertainment for one month. What's wrong with a December date?

Think about it, if Floyd has a tough fight in May, I just can't picture him coming back so soon, especially at this age. If Brook doesn't make the most of his opportunity now (if he's the selected one), then I believe he'll fight Floyd by the end of the year, and Floyd will fight Canelo next May.

I believe Kell will have enough time to fight twice, before the December even rolls around. Besides, how much did Hatton do in the U.S. before he landed a big fight? He had what, two fights? Against an old Castillo, and nearly lost to Collazo?! He DID have his U.K. fan base though.

On the other hand, as a boxing fan, I'm tired of waiting on Floyd hand & foot, just to see who he fights. It's a bit more frustrating this time around, because fights are getting cancelled and postponed like crazy, so the predictions of who wins what, is being put on hold as well. I believe the bigger disappointment stems from these young WW lions who haven't been promoted right, or failed to produce a stellar performance in a fight against a guy at their own skill level.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 7 2013, 11:13 AM
Post #126

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 7 2013, 09:03 AM) *
Honestly, at this point, I believe a Kell Brook fight would sell more than an Alexander or Guerrero fight. I can see a Kell Brook fight happening by the end of this year, that's if Floyd opts to not fight in September.

From what I know, the May date is reserved, but I'm not so sure about the September date. If we're going to have a Chavez/Martinez rematch, and possibly a JMM/Pac rematch (if it doesn't happen in April), then I believe that that's enough entertainment for one month. What's wrong with a December date?

Think about it, if Floyd has a tough fight in May, I just can't picture him coming back so soon, especially at this age. If Brook doesn't make the most of his opportunity now (if he's the selected one), then I believe he'll fight Floyd by the end of the year, and Floyd will fight Canelo next May.

I believe Kell will have enough time to fight twice, before the December even rolls around. Besides, how much did Hatton do in the U.S. before he landed a big fight? He had what, two fights? Against an old Castillo, and nearly lost to Collazo?! He DID have his U.K. fan base though.

On the other hand, as a boxing fan, I'm tired of waiting on Floyd hand & foot, just to see who he fights. It's a bit more frustrating this time around, because fights are getting cancelled and postponed like crazy, so the predictions of who wins what, is being put on hold as well. I believe the bigger disappointment stems from these young WW lions who haven't been promoted right, or failed to produce a stellar performance in a fight against a guy at their own skill level.

One cannot dismiss Floyd's age and ring inactivity. It has to catch up with him sometime. One these fights, it is possible that Alexander or Guerrero or whoever is gonna be to what Lloyd Honneyghan was to Donald Curry. I still think its an issue where Floyd haters want to see him lose to anybody or anything. Floyd's supporters at the same time, are tired of the once a year waiting game that Floyd plays. Floyd may have been able to silence more critics by being more active throughout his career.

Jack

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 7 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #127

The Consultant

The IBF will not sanction Mayweather-Alexander. (Brook is the mandatory) More from the UK Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...-for-title.html

Jack

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Feb 7 2013, 01:21 PM
Post #128

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 7 2013, 01:01 PM) *
The IBF will not sanction Mayweather-Alexander. (Brook is the mandatory) More from the UK Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...-for-title.html

Jack

I'm surprised anyone cares, if he really wanted to make the Alexander fight happen he would just ask devon to drop the title and get paid. Who cares about any of the titles anymore, if he really wanted a title he could just ask the wbc to make one up, call it the super duper aluminum title or something.

That's why I honestly believe this is a bluff on floyds part

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 7 2013, 01:37 PM
Post #129

The Consultant

QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 7 2013, 12:21 PM) *
I'm surprised anyone cares, if he really wanted to make the Alexander fight happen he would just ask devon to drop the title and get paid. Who cares about any of the titles anymore, if he really wanted a title he could just ask the wbc to make one up, call it the super duper aluminum title or something.

That's why I honestly believe this is a bluff on floyds part

Very possible,

It is possible Floyd may fight Guerrero all along, and the Alexander talk was just talk. I mean, flies wouldn't even be drawn to the dump of boredom that would be Mayweather-Alexander. I am not saying that Devon's as bad as when Floyd was fighting nothings like Sosa and N'dou. However, at this stage of his career, Devon Alexander does nothing for Floyd. Give The Ghost his chance. It's not like Floyd's getting any younger. Floyd's age is causing time and options to run out for big fights.

Jack

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 7 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #130

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

if floyd fights alexander and does not so amazing numbers think he will finally accept 50/50 for a pac fight. or something closer to those numbers, also bob arum dies between then and now.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 10:25 PM