IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who is true boxer of decade (2001-2010)
The Ollie Reed F...
post Aug 16 2011, 07:51 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (sduck @ Aug 16 2011, 05:11 PM) *
I'm not sure if this is an actual reward, but shouldn't the decade be 2000-2009? Since in previous decades it should be something like 1980-89, 1990-99... anyway, from 2000-2009 hands-down goes to Mayweather.

I agree with the 2000-2009 part.

Hard to seperate 3 fighters. Floyd and Manny both have stellar wins in the lighter divisions, I give it to Manny though coz he fought the 3 Mexican legends a mind boggling 7 times and only had 1 defeat from it. Since moving north of 140 they have both definately cherry picked.

I guess the most impressive win would be Floyd scraping past Oscar at 154. To counter balance that I have Manny demolishing Cotto but at a CW. Floyd handed Hatton his first loss but at a weight that I don't think Hatton did very well at, Manny beat him quicker at his preferred weight of 140 but Floyd had of course gotten to him first. So that's about a draw.

In summing up I think I'll give it to Hopkins! He has consistently sought out the guys at the very top of their respective divisions and I think the only guy he really cherry picked was Roy Jones (although that came in 2010-the start of a new decade?). That and he has also handed out some career ending fights. Even the losses to Taylor, Taylor definately came out the loser from their encounters.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
caneman
post Aug 16 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #12

Amateur

Member No.: 1,310

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 16 2011, 07:51 PM) *
I agree with the 2000-2009 part.

Hard to seperate 3 fighters. Floyd and Manny both have stellar wins in the lighter divisions, I give it to Manny though coz he fought the 3 Mexican legends a mind boggling 7 times and only had 1 defeat from it. Since moving north of 140 they have both definately cherry picked.

I guess the most impressive win would be Floyd scraping past Oscar at 154. To counter balance that I have Manny demolishing Cotto but at a CW. Floyd handed Hatton his first loss but at a weight that I don't think Hatton did very well at, Manny beat him quicker at his preferred weight of 140 but Floyd had of course gotten to him first. So that's about a draw.

In summing up I think I'll give it to Hopkins! He has consistently sought out the guys at the very top of their respective divisions and I think the only guy he really cherry picked was Roy Jones (although that came in 2010-the start of a new decade?). That and he has also handed out some career ending fights. Even the losses to Taylor, Taylor definately came out the loser from their encounters.

I agree with this all the way. I can't knock those 3 guys and surprisingly, it shows Roy Jones did hurt his legacy somewhat cause there was a time he would have gotten some votes!

+Quote Post
E.C.LEGEND
post Aug 16 2011, 08:48 PM
Post #13

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,658

QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 16 2011, 08:05 PM) *
I agree with this all the way. I can't knock those 3 guys and surprisingly, it shows Roy Jones did hurt his legacy somewhat cause there was a time he would have gotten some votes!

Didn't Roy get that award for the 90's? Has anyone gotten fighter of the decade twice? It would be weird if someone got the award twice.

+Quote Post
caneman
post Aug 16 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #14

Amateur

Member No.: 1,310

QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ Aug 16 2011, 08:48 PM) *
Didn't Roy get that award for the 90's? Has anyone gotten fighter of the decade twice? It would be weird if someone got the award twice.

Honestly that makes sense, no one hardly touched him in the 90's! Good call EC! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif)

This post has been edited by caneman: Aug 16 2011, 08:52 PM

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Aug 16 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #15

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 16 2011, 03:24 PM) *
why are you picking Mayweather then?

i would have to go with Hopkins.

41-0 without the hype job and "good guy, I love the people, I am Mr. Humble" image. Raw talent with great work ethic. Opponents that were a challenge and not carefully hand picked or coming off of loses or horrible performances. That's why I pick May. I am judging off his skill in the ring and performances not the bs that the media will have you believe. Oh and he holds PPV records... Hopkins or Pacaquio can't say that. Hopkins is a great choice but he has some L's and bad perfomances too. Hopkins has my respect, he has a 20 year old's body and his dedication to the sport gets high praise.

I respect Pacaquio and the excitement that he brings to the sport and I think Hopkins is unreal (46 and still dominating) is amazing. I am a May fan but I am a boxing fan and just because I am a May fan does not mean I do not recognize other great fighters (Pacaquio, Donaire, Hopkins, and some other notable fighters) however I think that MJ dominated the fight game for a very long time and the fighter of the decade would hands down go to him.

This post has been edited by Allmenjoi8: Aug 16 2011, 09:34 PM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 16 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

In my mind, it is btw Mayweather & Hopkins. Pacquio isn't & shouldn't even be in the conversation. When studying his wins in the decade...it becomes too arguementative. @ the beginning of the decade he was a 1 handed fighter, not a special talent @ all until Roach got a hold of him. Mayweather & B-Hop have better careers, a better resume of opponents. Given that I would have to favor Floyd. If it weren't for the loss to Calzaghe(which is bs) I would've favored Bernard but Floyd's undefeated mark wins out in this one

+Quote Post
E.C.LEGEND
post Aug 16 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #17

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 6,658

QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 16 2011, 08:50 PM) *
Honestly that makes sense, no one hardly touched him in the 90's! Good call EC! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif)

Do you know if you can win the award more than once? It's seriously bugging the hell out of me.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Aug 16 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #18

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 16 2011, 09:47 PM) *
In my mind, it is btw Mayweather & Hopkins. Pacquio isn't & shouldn't even be in the conversation. When studying his wins in the decade...it becomes too arguementative. @ the beginning of the decade he was a 1 handed fighter, not a special talent @ all until Roach got a hold of him. Mayweather & B-Hop have better careers, a better resume of opponents. Given that I would have to favor Floyd. If it weren't for the loss to Calzaghe(which is bs) I would've favored Bernard but Floyd's undefeated mark wins out in this one

I voted for Hopkins so it bothers me not but are you seriously trying to tell me that Morales, Barerra and Marquez aren't as good as Floyd's list of opponents? Seriously are you shitten me? Floyd has beaten De la Hoya. The rest would struggle to make the HoF.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Aug 16 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 16 2011, 10:31 PM) *
41-0 without the hype job and "good guy, I love the people, I am Mr. Humble" image. Raw talent with great work ethic. Opponents that were a challenge and not carefully hand picked or coming off of loses or horrible performances. That's why I pick May. I am judging off his skill in the ring and performances not the bs that the media will have you believe. Oh and he holds PPV records... Hopkins or Pacaquio can't say that. Hopkins is a great choice but he has some L's and bad perfomances too. Hopkins has my respect, he has a 20 year old's body and his dedication to the sport gets high praise.

I respect Pacaquio and the excitement that he brings to the sport and I think Hopkins is unreal (46 and still dominating) is amazing. I am a May fan but I am a boxing fan and just because I am a May fan does not mean I do not recognize other great fighters (Pacaquio, Donaire, Hopkins, and some other notable fighters) however I think that MJ dominated the fight game for a very long time and the fighter of the decade would hands down go to him.

That's been the main criticism on him. No cherry picked opponents? JMM, Sharmba Mitchell, Judah coming off a loss, and Henry Bruselles etc.

The man had some good wins between 2000-2010, but after 2004, his resume dwindled. He's still in the top 3 as far as the decade goes, but the number 1 spot is between Pacquiao and Hopkins.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 16 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 16 2011, 10:06 PM) *
I voted for Hopkins so it bothers me not but are you seriously trying to tell me that Morales, Barerra and Marquez aren't as good as Floyd's list of opponents? Seriously are you shitten me? Floyd has beaten De la Hoya. The rest would struggle to make the HoF.

I stand by wht the phuck I said! Yes Pac did beat 3 mexican legends but as a "whole", Mayweather's resume is more complete then his. He's beaten Corrales, Gatti(How dare you imply that he would struggle to make the HOF), DLH, Hatton, Zab, Mosley & the list goes on. Many say that Floyd has fought these people when it's beneficial to him but the same could be said for Manny & I don't believe he beat Marquez . He fought those warriors @ the tail end of their careers. Don't let your emotions get your ass checked into some shit you can't handle

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 09:21 AM