IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The JAB-the most important punch!!, Do judges score it today?? Is it underappreciated??
mrchitown
post Apr 25 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 25 2013, 01:57 PM) *
i teach and emphasize the jab. there are several ways to throw them and i encourage my guys to learn and master every single one. u can use it to find range...to blind an opponent...to open a guard...to lull an opponent....to hurt an opponent....to keep him occupied....to take some steam out of an opponent...to bide time....to disrupt an attack....to set up a hook...to set up a cross...to set up an uppercut...etc..etc...

it can be thrown from the high guard....from the hip....from the chest....at half distance...from the chin....

the jab is the beginning and end of most combinations.

"when in doubt, jab out."

the jab keeps your opponent from throwing the right hand if u do it right.

i've dropped ppl with jabs. i've busted noses with jabs. i've won fights with just simple jabs. the more time u spend on your jab...the better u will be as a fighter.

if u understand ur body...u don't have to have the longer reach to have the better jab. it's all about timing and head movement.

the jab is the most important punch in all of boxing imo.

Great post, and all true.

My biggest issue is that some of these so called trainers are not teaching the jab, I remember I had a trainer tell me I jab to much and I should throw more power punches. He acted like I was Malinaggi, I was trying to set up and place my shots on my sparring opponent. Needless to say Is topped taking his advice and tuned him out until he stopped speaking to me all together

Another issue is there are some fighters whchi have beautiful jabs and they under use it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 25 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

larry holmes without a doubt had a beautiful jab.

miguel cotto
oscar de la hoya
ike quartey
vernon forrest
winky wright
guillermo rigondeaux

are just a few who come to mind when i think of good jabs.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Apr 25 2013, 06:32 PM

+Quote Post
mikE11
post Apr 26 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #23

Amateur

Member No.: 13,807

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 25 2013, 06:31 PM) *
larry holmes without a doubt had a beautiful jab.

miguel cotto
oscar de la hoya
ike quartey
vernon forrest
winky wright
guillermo rigondeaux

are just a few who come to mind when i think of good jabs.

And yet, of those guys, it's only the most important punch for Ike and Winky. I'll add Holmes, although I really think his right over the jab was his most effective punch, but the jab obviously had a lot to do with that for him.

Getting knockouts and scoring points are most important in a boxing match. The jab doesn't score knockouts and it justifiably doesn't score as effectively as non-jabs that land.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Apr 26 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #24

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

Ruben and Robert Guerrero doesn't think the jab is all that important so maybe the rest of us are dumb and think the jab is important. I look at the jab as having a great running game in football. You control the clock and tire the defense the same is with the jab. Some great offensive fighters had trouble with the jab recently Donaire did not know what to do. Lennox Lewis had a great jab! How do yawl keep shitting on Lewis? Awful!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 26 2013, 02:31 PM
Post #25

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mikE11 @ Apr 26 2013, 01:26 PM) *
And yet, of those guys, it's only the most important punch for Ike and Winky. I'll add Holmes, although I really think his right over the jab was his most effective punch, but the jab obviously had a lot to do with that for him.

Getting knockouts and scoring points are most important in a boxing match. The jab doesn't score knockouts and it justifiably doesn't score as effectively as non-jabs that land.

miguel cotto has hurt and dropped opponents with his jab. clottey and gomez are the two i can recall.

even brandon rios...who isn't really known as a jabber landed a very stiff jab that wobbled mike alvarado in their last fight.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 26 2013, 02:34 PM
Post #26

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 26 2013, 01:42 PM) *
Ruben and Robert Guerrero doesn't think the jab is all that important so maybe the rest of us are dumb and think the jab is important. I look at the jab as having a great running game in football. You control the clock and tire the defense the same is with the jab. Some great offensive fighters had trouble with the jab recently Donaire did not know what to do. Lennox Lewis had a great jab! How do yawl keep shitting on Lewis? Awful!

in the southpaw/orthodox match up...i think the jab isn't as important as it is with orthodox vs orthodox. guerreros success is going to come from working the body. he'll have to land or keep floyd occupied with straight shots, not necessarily jabs, up top to get in position to work the body.

+Quote Post
flazi
post Apr 26 2013, 05:35 PM
Post #27

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

dp, once he gets in to position for that i think it is when may will go to the uppercut to discourage it.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 26 2013, 06:10 PM
Post #28

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (flazi @ Apr 26 2013, 06:35 PM) *
dp, once he gets in to position for that i think it is when may will go to the uppercut to discourage it.

it's the obvious punch. anytime robert leans in he should expect it. if he doesn't anticipate that...then he deserves the ass whoopin he's going to take for making that mistake.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Apr 26 2013, 06:30 PM
Post #29

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 26 2013, 12:42 PM) *

Lennox was a beast and threw the best 1-2 combo ever in the sport on Rahman, he tried it once at 2:35 and then fast forward to 1:46. The sound of this was awesome, sound like the sound effects from a Bruce Lee movie and how they would clap 2 piece of wood together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI8bBYwLGUA

Honorable mention on the jab also goes out to Tony "TNT" Tucker RIP, that dude ruled with his jab alone.<<<<Very underrated indeed!!

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 26 2013, 06:33 PM
Post #30

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Paulie has an awesome jab

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 08:57 AM