> Tragic! Boxer dies after TKO loss, Safety
BigFightFan
post Jan 30 2013, 11:21 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,604

http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/video.php?v=w...e095252VZxCdQ5x

We as boxing fans always talk about ways to improve the sport of boxing, but neglect the issue of fighter safety. I want to know what you guys think can be implemented to reduce the risk of long term effects from being hit in the head repeatedly. Also what effect would those issue have on the fan base and popularity of the sport. I was thinking maybe go to a mandatory 14 ounce glove size for all fights and maybe even making headgear mandatory, which I know will not be popular with hardcore or casual fans.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Jan 30 2013, 11:31 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jan 30 2013, 11:21 PM) *
http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/video.php?v=w...e095252VZxCdQ5x

We as boxing fans always talk about ways to improve the sport of boxing, but neglect the issue of fighter safety. I want to know what you guys think can be implemented to reduce the risk of long term effects from being hit in the head repeatedly. Also what effect would those issue have on the fan base and popularity of the sport. I was thinking maybe go to a mandatory 14 ounce glove size for all fights and maybe even making headgear mandatory, which I know will not be popular with hardcore or casual fans.

The heavier gloves I can see being adapted (maybe) but the headgear highly unlikely. I think that referees should be encouraged to stop fights as soon as they think that real, life threatening damage is being done. Who cares if the fans or press complain, they aren't in the ring getting pummelled. Also, was a competent doctor ringside in this case?
A better organized sport will be able to regulate things so that there are always competent medical professionals ringside to check the boxers as the bout progresses.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Jan 30 2013, 11:45 PM
Post #3

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 30 2013, 11:31 PM) *
The heavier gloves I can see being adapted (maybe) but the headgear highly unlikely. I think that referees should be encouraged to stop fights as soon as they think that real, life threatening damage is being done. Who cares if the fans or press complain, they aren't in the ring getting pummelled. Also, was a competent doctor ringside in this case?
A better organized sport will be able to regulate things so that there are always competent medical professionals ringside to check the boxers as the bout progresses.

In a sport like boxing some things are non-avoidable. Its unfortunate but thats just the way it is. A doctor ringside wont always fix the situation. Look how fast things changed in Pac-Marquez 4. the break prior Pacquiao was in a better condition to fight than Marquez who was breathing through a BROKEN nose! Marquez could've died in that ring if that blood was trickling down the wrong spot! But look how fast things changed in a single second. Marquez could've killed Pacman if he got him in the right spot. Thats just to show that not everything is avoidable in a sport like this no matter how many regulations/resources/testing you add. While we observers SHOULD make it our moral responsibility to make sure fighters have the optimal amount of safety attainable when they step in the ring, fighters have to also be aware that no regulation, drug test, or resource will change the fact that boxing is a deadly sport. Fighters will die. There comes a point where the safety of a fighter is solely a fighters responsibility. Every time you decide to step in the ring to fight EVEN for training camp you put your life at risk. Its up to a fighter to decide if the risk is ultimately worth it. Its a contact sport...

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Jan 31 2013, 01:02 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

I'm willing to guess that during 'Marquez/Pacquaio - The Decapitation' a doctor, or someone else from the commission had looked at Marquez' broken nose, or was at least aware of it and made the decision to let him continue to fight. I'm somewhat sure the kid in the article didn't have that same level of medical attention.

Even with ultra vigilant referees and proper, proactive regulations, it will still be a risky sport with lots of blood, guts and KOs, which is fine. At least there will be a greater chance of death being avoided. This is boxing, not gladiators fighting to the death.

If the fans think it's too soft, then they should get in the ring themselves.

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Jan 31 2013, 06:23 AM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 31 2013, 01:02 AM) *
I'm willing to guess that during 'Marquez/Pacquaio - The Decapitation' a doctor, or someone else from the commission had looked at Marquez' broken nose, or was at least aware of it and made the decision to let him continue to fight. I'm somewhat sure the kid in the article didn't have that same level of medical attention.

Even with ultra vigilant referees and proper, proactive regulations, it will still be a risky sport with lots of blood, guts and KOs, which is fine. At least there will be a greater chance of death being avoided. This is boxing, not gladiators fighting to the death.

If the fans think it's too soft, then they should get in the ring themselves.

I considered your point of view as well. Referee's should have some type of discretionary limit to the amount of punishment a guy takes in the ring. Take the PAC/Margarito bout for example. The ref should have stoped that fight around the 9th or 10th round. Margarito had no chance of winning at that point, he was just taking unnescessary damage to the face and head.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 31 2013, 10:10 AM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Change nothing, brutal? Well yes its boxing, I also think heavier gloves wouldn't help the situation. I think head guards would be unnecessary. These things happen, for what boxing is the death toll isn't that high and its not about just being a fan, this should be a sport for the fighters so I think it'd be best to ask them what they think

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Jan 31 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jan 31 2013, 06:23 AM) *
I considered your point of view as well. Referee's should have some type of discretionary limit to the amount of punishment a guy takes in the ring. Take the PAC/Margarito bout for example. The ref should have stoped that fight around the 9th or 10th round. Margarito had no chance of winning at that point, he was just taking unnescessary damage to the face and head.

Agreed. Quality refs. are crucial. Some structure in the sport will allow for proper referee and trainer certification. For example, last week when Golovkin was literally beating the snot out of Rosado, Rosado's trainer had the wherewithal to stop it. I think that properly educated referees, trainers and fully engaged ringside medical professional would dramatically limit this type of thing happening.

If it was up to me, I'd make the break between rounds become 1 minute 20 seconds (after the midpoint of every boxing match). That extra 20 seconds would be reserved for mandatory examinations of the boxers by ringside doctors. There'd be 2 doctors for every fight.

I know that means more cost, but if there was a boxer's union and a league setup, those costs could be covered.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Jan 31 2013, 11:12 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 31 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

No matter how much you try to implement, these dudes are still hitting each other. As someone mentioned, it's the fighter's responsibility for their own safety, and boxing licenses pretty much lets a guy know that.

Now, I will add a little bit more spice to the topic while we're talking about post-fight and long-term injuries. Which sport is more taxing on the body, boxing or mixed martial arts? This seems like an easy answer, but it's not, I just want to hear everybody's take on it.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 31 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

brain hemorrhages can be avoided if a boxer is properly hydrated. the problem is that too many ppl believe that you have to sweat down to whatever weight you are fighting at. that is the absolute worse thing to do. there are better more careful ways to make weight. there needs to be more valuable education on the matter. changing glove size will not make a difference.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 31 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 31 2013, 07:16 PM) *
No matter how much you try to implement, these dudes are still hitting each other. As someone mentioned, it's the fighter's responsibility for their own safety, and boxing licenses pretty much lets a guy know that.

Now, I will add a little bit more spice to the topic while we're talking about post-fight and long-term injuries. Which sport is more taxing on the body, boxing or mixed martial arts? This seems like an easy answer, but it's not, I just want to hear everybody's take on it.

In my opinion boxing, that is all.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 05:37 PM