IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather signs 6 fight deal w/showtime: Announces Guerrero as May 4th opponent, R.I.P. HBO
Franchize
post Feb 20 2013, 11:43 AM
Post #81

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,419

I agree with daprofessor regarding Guerrero's potential to utilize what Cotto did and duplicate it with better accuracy and a better chin. However, I think what makes Floyd great is, while you're looking for his faults, he's already found them himself. So essentially, you have to capitalize on his faults before he reinvents himself. When a guy fights once or twice a year, and is the best in the game (maybe Ward too) at making adjustments, it's kind of hard to be 2 steps ahead. How often have we seen the press conference where Floyd says "I already know he's coming in with idea that he's going to try to do _____" and his opponent look like "oh shit...that's exactly what I had in mind." He did it with Oscar. He did it with Ortiz. He did it with Shane. He did it with Hatton.

Floyd is no God. He CAN be beaten but the requirements for beating him are not only difficult, but you have to figure them out before he does, because he knows how to fix his own mistake better than anyone in the business.

This post has been edited by Franchize: Feb 20 2013, 11:45 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 20 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #82

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 19 2013, 10:54 PM) *
Is that you, Floyd?

I'm not being a debbie downer, I was more so addressing Floyd's fan, not Floyd himself. You're just too blind and excited to see what I was saying.

All you ever do is get on here and spew some of the same verbatim nonsense that Floyd says, as if you're trying to get recruited to the Money Team or something. Chill out with the whole Floyd hero complex you got going on...its almost like you're this dude's PR or public defender. Chill out

PS: Stop spelling my screen name wrong, as if it isn't right there in front of you while you're posting...now THAT would satisfy my standards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I had to put a little twist to it. Some of these guys act like Floyd invented the light bulb, or sliced bread or something. He just added another feather in his cap, in regards to boxing history and bank account.

Honestly, Guerrero cant afford to focus on anything other than the task at hand. He'll have enough obstacles as it, packed weigh-ins, photo shoots, extreme promotional obligations, etc...things that he WONT be able to away from.

Im sure he's used to a fight being signed, doing a few interviews, training, and fighting without this many people noticing. The second he gets caught up in Floyd's "the lights are too big for him" tactics, he'll have that much heavier lifting to do.

Floyd made a HUGE business move, but also gave Robert a chance to be overlooked, which could play into Robert's hand. I'm Robert could give a shit about any of this...money is on his mind at the moment. Lol

i think if i'm guerrero....i don't honor every promotional obligation. also...i would limit the access of showtime 360. they definitely don't get to see any sparring footage for any thing that would reveal strategy/game plan. the pressure is on floyd....but if he has shown us anything...it's that he handles pressure extremely well.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Feb 20 2013, 01:41 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 20 2013, 01:32 PM
Post #83

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 19 2013, 11:44 PM) *
That's what I am thinking as well. Unofficially, he might take five rounds from haters who want to see him lose. No more than four rounds officially. (And this is coming from a Floyd hater-as a person.) Floyd the businessman is fucking brilliant along with his advisers in this landmark deal. Floyd the fighter, his legs may not be what they were, but I he's still a sharp-shooter with the defense, pivoting, and master of the shoulder roll.

Yes, Floyd may get dropped. I mean others have dropped Floyd. I could see "The Ghost" charging in and getting swelled up and busted up. He's not gonna "Play Nice" like "I'm not supposed to hurt Floyd, just get a payday and go through the motions-" Mosley. or "I'm sorry I butted you Floyd, let's kiss and make up like Oscar might do" Ortiz. LOL! In fact Guerrero might be told to fight dirty to take Floyd out of his game plan. Remember that Floyd can and will likely retaliate. Robert's only chance to win is a mauling brawling style, maybe at about 30%. Floyd running into a power bomb. However, 70% says this is a tough, sloppy mauling brawling fight (still think this is Hatton II.) that Robert WILL make exciting for however long it lasts. BUT he will pay a heavy price and have to deal with some adverse moments while being entertaining. I think the poor-man's Castillo for Guerrero is a great way to describe Robert Guerrero. Tough like Castillo, but doesn't have the experience of being through hell and back like Castillo was against Corrales. We will see how good Robert can deal with adversity. He's got heart and balls, or so it appears going into this fight. Will his face hold up against Floyd?

Jack

i don't get the comparisons to hatton or castillo. you guys are selling guerrero short. he has more elements to his style and i believe he's a sharper puncher.....also, lets not forget that he is NOT fighting the same floyd that castillo or hatton fought. he's fighting a 30 something year old floyd who is coming off a long lay off....the worst performance of his career....and way too many push ups during his prison stint. the pressure is on floyd....guerrero has been gunning for this moment because he knows he has what it takes to exploit some of floyds tendencies. guerrero will have far more success than castillo and hatton combined. i'm not a floyd hater at all. i love the mans style and i believe he's probably the most skilled boxer we have ever seen in the ring. his accomplishments, or lack thereof. are a different story.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 20 2013, 01:41 PM
Post #84

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Feb 20 2013, 11:43 AM) *
I agree with daprofessor regarding Guerrero's potential to utilize what Cotto did and duplicate it with better accuracy and a better chin. However, I think what makes Floyd great is, while you're looking for his faults, he's already found them himself. So essentially, you have to capitalize on his faults before he reinvents himself. When a guy fights once or twice a year, and is the best in the game (maybe Ward too) at making adjustments, it's kind of hard to be 2 steps ahead. How often have we seen the press conference where Floyd says "I already know he's coming in with idea that he's going to try to do _____" and his opponent look like "oh shit...that's exactly what I had in mind." He did it with Oscar. He did it with Ortiz. He did it with Shane. He did it with Hatton.

Floyd is no God. He CAN be beaten but the requirements for beating him are not only difficult, but you have to figure them out before he does, because he knows how to fix his own mistake better than anyone in the business.

i hear what you are saying. i will say that this fight is basically going to come down to guerreros commitment to the body work....and if he can avoid or take the counter upper cuts and rights he's going to catch trying to get to that body. i believe he's going to pack his lunch and go to work. floyd is going to have to work harder than we've ever seen him work because of his advanced age and lack of mobility these days. it's going to be interesting and i really want to see it play out.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 20 2013, 02:10 PM
Post #85

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 20 2013, 01:24 PM) *
i think if i'm guerrero....i don't honor every promotional obligation. also...i would limit the access of showtime 360. they definitely don't get to see any sparring footage for any thing that would reveal strategy/game plan. the pressure is on floyd....but if he has shown us anything...it's that he handles pressure extremely well.

Can they even do that? Opt not to go through with certain promotional obligations? You'd think that Robert would suck up as much of the media attention as he could, but he strikes me as a guy who wants to the victory to speak for itself. This situation is somewhat of a seesaw for him, or a catch-22 if you would.

Either way, the fight is still happening, so I guess that's all that matter to Robert.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 20 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #86

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 20 2013, 12:10 PM) *
Can they even do that? Opt not to go through with certain promotional obligations? You'd think that Robert would suck up as much of the media attention as he could, but he strikes me as a guy who wants to the victory to speak for itself. This situation is somewhat of a seesaw for him, or a catch-22 if you would.

Either way, the fight is still happening, so I guess that's all that matter to Robert.

If Robert shuns the media and skips out on promotional obligations you do realize that the bad guy image will be passed to Robert. Mayweather will be actually cheered in this fight. Which is an odd place to be since Mayweather has built his career on being the bad guy. So maybe more tables will turn. Perhaps another twist to the fight is that maybe Floyd is tired of playing the bad guy and he now wants to be adored. Just like in wrestling when the long time bad guy becomes good, the guy watches wrestling for a reason. Floyd may even come across humble in the series Fight Camp 360. He has his dad, that is a story within itself, his uncle is ailing that can be another sympathetic push in Floyd's direction. This should be interesting. Guerrero can actually come out to be the cocky jerk out the two. Wow.

The real loser in this whole thing isn't HBO, it is 50 cent. Usually he would have said 60 quotes by now along with a full three page interview about how he and Floyd are taking over boxing. He and his lone fighter are in a very sad state. Do not bite the hand that has been feeding you. Plus Floyd Sr. stopped training fighters from 50's camp to work with Floyd. SOmeone feels stupid!

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 20 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #87

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 20 2013, 12:32 PM) *
i don't get the comparisons to hatton or castillo. you guys are selling guerrero short. he has more elements to his style and i believe he's a sharper puncher.....also, lets not forget that he is NOT fighting the same floyd that castillo or hatton fought. he's fighting a 30 something year old floyd who is coming off a long lay off....the worst performance of his career....and way too many push ups during his prison stint. the pressure is on floyd....guerrero has been gunning for this moment because he knows he has what it takes to exploit some of floyds tendencies. guerrero will have far more success than castillo and hatton combined. i'm not a floyd hater at all. i love the mans style and i believe he's probably the most skilled boxer we have ever seen in the ring. his accomplishments, or lack thereof. are a different story.

I agree that Floyd's layoff may neutralize the advantages he might have had over Guerrero. For Floyd, had he not been layed off from being in prison and the inactivity. However, I still expect THE TYPE of fight that I posted about previously. If Floyd doesn't have it anymore, The Ghost has a good chance of an upset, maybe even higher than the 30% I have him to win. I am surprised that Floyd picked the Ghost for his first fight back!

Jack

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 20 2013, 05:04 PM
Post #88

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

if floyd loses all were going to hear is that he was too old, if he wins, robert was a nobody. seems like nobodies getting there credit that night

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 20 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #89

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 20 2013, 02:10 PM) *

it wouldn't be the first time it's happened. i recall zab using media obligations as an excuse for his loss to baldomir. i've also seen guys shun press conferences and what not. the fights still went on. it wouldn't be the first time.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 20 2013, 05:35 PM
Post #90

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 20 2013, 02:29 PM) *
If Robert shuns the media and skips out on promotional obligations you do realize that the bad guy image will be passed to Robert. Mayweather will be actually cheered in this fight. Which is an odd place to be since Mayweather has built his career on being the bad guy. So maybe more tables will turn. Perhaps another twist to the fight is that maybe Floyd is tired of playing the bad guy and he now wants to be adored. Just like in wrestling when the long time bad guy becomes good, the guy watches wrestling for a reason. Floyd may even come across humble in the series Fight Camp 360. He has his dad, that is a story within itself, his uncle is ailing that can be another sympathetic push in Floyd's direction. This should be interesting. Guerrero can actually come out to be the cocky jerk out the two. Wow.

The real loser in this whole thing isn't HBO, it is 50 cent. Usually he would have said 60 quotes by now along with a full three page interview about how he and Floyd are taking over boxing. He and his lone fighter are in a very sad state. Do not bite the hand that has been feeding you. Plus Floyd Sr. stopped training fighters from 50's camp to work with Floyd. SOmeone feels stupid!

it's going to be almost impossible for floyd to switch over to the good guy now. it would take something drastic for that to happen. i don't think guerrero skipping some media obligations would do the trick. best believe floyd wants to be adored. i think he's got more growing up to do. he's going to fall right back into that bad guy spot. the whole underlying story lines and stuff...this is starting to sound like wrestling now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

for 50 cent to be a loser in boxing....he would have had to be a winner to begin with. he's never been anything more than a side kick in boxing. i've seen ppl with a lot of money to blow try to find their way in boxing and still not make it. i can't see him being any different. gimmicks don't work in boxing.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 12:47 PM