> Kelly Pavlik to retire
daprofessor
post Jan 22 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 20 2013, 07:11 PM) *
I immediately thought of you when I heard this.

Kelly had a lot of heart and I wanted to see him match talents vs a few fighters but I can't blame him for handing em up. Honestly, he didn't seem motivated in his last fight and let's be frank, if you're not in it mentally, the last person you need to be fighting is Andre Ward.

The hyperbole was there in the beginning about this guy and I had my questions about his skill but I've always appreciated the heart he brought to the ring. Unlike many sob stories, his story about roughing it in Youngstown was very compelling and inspiring. Kelly was the epitome of that blue collar fighter. I hope he finds peace in his down time and uses it productively. In other words, I hope those demons have escaped him for good and he goes on to bigger and better things. Wouldn't mind seeing him pick up training and teaching some youngster that wicked 1-2 he delivered so beautifully straight down the pipe throughout his career.

in defense of his last fight...will rosinski is no joke. that dude has skills and is underrated imo. i agree that he wouldn't have had a chance against ward. i'm thinking that may have been a cash out bout. but seriously...i think he gives froch a run for his money. too bad we won't get to see that one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jan 22 2013, 04:35 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 22 2013, 01:10 PM) *
I'm glad he decided to call it quits, but I feel that he could've waited around for the Ward fight.

Since Ward recently had surgery, I feel that Pavlik would've had a bit more time to prepare and do some soul-searching while he was at it. Trust me, I'm not knocking his decision, but I just wished that he would've gotten that last big payday that he came back and worked hard for.

He had the Ward fight in his back pocket, and if push came to shove, he could've still gotten a big payday against Chavez, if it came down to it. At the end of the day, Im glad that he decided what was best.

Im just big on fighters being financially stable after they leave, excuse me for being a douche. I just cant get with the likes of Shane Mosley giving it a go...50 million times. I believe he'll be the guy to "Brett Favre" it, for the rest of his career.

Farve actually one tho, I don't know what or who to compare this farce that Mosley is doing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 11:38 AM