Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Larry Merchant Be FIRED?
Allmenjoi8
post Jul 7 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

HBO commentary for boxing would be great if Larry "The biggest hater" Merchant wasn't apart of that team. He is so negative and half of the time he does not know what he is talking about. Unless the fight is a bloody massacre he isn't happy. I am not going to even touch his pure biased against Floyd. I wondered if HBO should replace him with someone else... I loved it when Foreman told him to shut up!! He should stop commentating In my opinion. Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Jul 7 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

Totally, ive been saying hes the biggest hater for years. He doesnt understand the business end of boxing at all.

+Quote Post
Jhill47
post Jul 7 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Amateur

Member No.: 12,594

i think they should but i believe the keep him around for that very reason because they know he will ask the questions that nobody else will. I've never agreed with Larry but he was spot on for that horrible heavy weight fight and he had every reason to grill David Haye. As far as Floyd goes he just doesn't like the guy and i don't think Manny Stewart likes Floyd too much either but that's mainly b/c he is a defensive fighter. But Larry Merchant is a fossil so i don't think he will be going anywhere. If i'm not mistaken i believe he had ring side seats for David vs Goliath

+Quote Post
Walstan86
post Jul 7 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #4

Resident Pactard

Member No.: 12,348

Only things he's biased against are boring fights and boring fighters.

+Quote Post
FightHypeRules
post Jul 7 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Junior Flyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 12,333

I've long been frustrated with him, not due to any bias or whatnot, just because it takes him 20 minutes to say a few sentences. It drives me crazy listening to him talk. That may not be his fault, and I may be an asshole for bringing it up, but it still drives me crazy and I hate listening to him talk.

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Jul 7 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #6

Middleweight

Member No.: 603

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jul 7 2011, 09:08 PM) *
HBO commentary for boxing would be great if Larry "The biggest hater" Merchant wasn't apart of that team. He is so negative and half of the time he does not know what he is talking about. Unless the fight is a bloody massacre he isn't happy. I am not going to even touch his pure biased against Floyd. I wondered if HBO should replace him with someone else... I loved it when Foreman told him to shut up!! He should stop commentating In my opinion. Any thoughts?

Read my signature (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif)

+Quote Post
caneman
post Jul 7 2011, 04:49 PM
Post #7

Amateur

Member No.: 1,310

QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 7 2011, 04:44 PM) *
Read my signature (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif)

got the beat? (IMG:http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j165/caneman_123/TigerFloyd.jpg)

+Quote Post
FightHypeRules
post Jul 7 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #8

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 12,333

QUOTE (caneman @ Jul 7 2011, 02:49 PM) *

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Jul 7 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

Larry "Make mine a double" Merchant is a pretty unique character. Merchant really is only looking for fighters with passion that will produce dramatic fights. I don't see anything wrong with that. Where I do have a problem with Larry is when you do not produce those types of fights he will do his best to bury you in his own smug way.

Also I had a problem with him calling Wlad a big beautiful man. Awkward!!!!

+Quote Post
alkantot
post Jul 7 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #10

Amateur

Member No.: 12,723

Larry's old school. He's used to 'real' boxing, where the fighters actually slug it out. Floyd is good on paper only. He doesn't want to face sluggers. This is one reason we'll never see a fight between him and the Pacman. So-called 'technical' fights are what they are: BORING!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 05:57 AM