IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MTV show "Bully Beatdown" a fake?, How does this reflect on UFC/MMA?
Byrd Man
post Aug 30 2009, 05:10 AM
Post #1

Welterweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 6,422

So I found this show called "Bully Beatdown" and although I'm not the biggest MMA/UFC fan (mainly the getting someone on the ground and pounding their face part I don't care for) I enjoyed the 1st season of it. I ran through all of them today, and then got to the season premiere, and while watching it I found an article talking about how the whole thing was bullshit.

Now I'm not COMPLETELY naive, I figured a good portion of this was scripted and whatnot, but the fact that the whole concept of "bullies getting their just desserts" is bullshit, and the "Bullys" and the "Victims" had never even met before the taping, is just pissing me off. lol

http://www.mmatko.com/bully-beatdown-using...-part-of-bully/

I knew from the beginning that the show advertised for tough guys to apply and they would be chosen based on some sort of bully mentality towards their friends. I did not find out until a few days ago that not one of the bullies had in fact, ever bullied the actors that have played the part of the victims.

I spoke with a friend that helped with the production of the show and was told that most of the bully/victim combo had never even met prior to the taping of each episode.
Take bully Jon from the last episode with Jake Shields. Last year he was on the Fox TV show Battle of the Bods where Jonathan proclaimed to be a professional stuntman as he judged the bodies of young women.

Even though Bully Beatdown is filled with actors the fights are mostly real. The stuntmen do try to fight back against the Pro MMA fighters but their payday comes not from the 10,000 prize money offered up but from the money guaranteed on the contract they signed going into the fight.

I knew that the show was a little fake but I am disappointed in just how fake it really is.

I don't know why but THAT really just eliminates any chance of me watching this show again.

The whole point of the show is exposed as a fraud.

Most shows you can watch and totally realize from the jump that 100% of it is scripted.

I don't watch reality shows so I guess I should have been tipped off by numerous things (namely it being on MTV) but man.

My question is this: What does this say that MMA would allow their fighters to be involved in something like this? I think that while I don't care for MMA/UFC I'm not one of those people who just wants to degrade it and shit on it at every opportunity.

That said, I think a lot of people look for any reason to malign this sport, and the fact that they would not only lend a fighter to be a host, but put their fighters into a situation like this, looks very bad on them.

I'm not familiar enough to know whether these guys are top shelf talent here, although one of them was said to be the #3 in the WORLD in his weight class.

Does this reflect badly on MMA/UFC if in fact they come out and basically own up to it being staged? The fights are supposedly (mostly) on the level, but everything else about the show is bullshit apparantly.

Thought I would ask actual fans of the sport, rather than just throw out my opinions which admittedly are biased. Don't wanna cheapshot the fans or the sport like some might.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thehype
post Aug 30 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #2

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Aug 30 2009, 06:10 AM) *
My question is this: What does this say that MMA would allow their fighters to be involved in something like this? I think that while I don't care for MMA/UFC I'm not one of those people who just wants to degrade it and shit on it at every opportunity.

That said, I think a lot of people look for any reason to malign this sport, and the fact that they would not only lend a fighter to be a host, but put their fighters into a situation like this, looks very bad on them.

I'm not familiar enough to know whether these guys are top shelf talent here, although one of them was said to be the #3 in the WORLD in his weight class.

Does this reflect badly on MMA/UFC if in fact they come out and basically own up to it being staged? The fights are supposedly (mostly) on the level, but everything else about the show is bullshit apparantly.

Thought I would ask actual fans of the sport, rather than just throw out my opinions which admittedly are biased. Don't wanna cheapshot the fans or the sport like some might.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Despite the fact that you say you're "not one of those people who just wants to degrade it and shit on it at every opportunity," it kind of sounds like you're being one of those people.

I mean, seriously, it's a Reality TV show...surely you didn't think this show was any different than any other Reality TV show, which are full of would-be actors and people who are hoping to become famous.

This doesn't have anything to do with MMA or the UFC and it doesn't reflect on either at all. They're not "lending" their fighters to participate. I mean, did boxing "lend" Floyd Mayweather Jr. to the WWE? Does Floyd's appearance on the WWE, which is also staged and completely fake, reflect badly on boxing or HBO?

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Aug 30 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #3

Welterweight

QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 30 2009, 10:42 AM) *

Despite the fact that you say you're "not one of those people who just wants to degrade it and shit on it at every opportunity," it kind of sounds like you're being one of those people.

I mean, seriously, it's a Reality TV show...surely you didn't think this show was any different than any other Reality TV show, which are full of would-be actors and people who are hoping to become famous.

This doesn't have anything to do with MMA or the UFC and it doesn't reflect on either at all. They're not "lending" their fighters to participate. I mean, did boxing "lend" Floyd Mayweather Jr. to the WWE? Does Floyd's appearance on the WWE, which is also staged and completely fake, reflect badly on boxing or HBO?

Well, Hype, I'm not trying to come off like that. I'm completely up front about my feelings about the sport, so I'm not tryign to hide it and just shitting on it pretending to be objective.

And I think there's a huge difference between this and the Floyd situation.

BOXING is not affiliated with Floyd going to the WWE to do that crap. That's Floyd doing that on his own, completely SEPARATE from Boxing. It's not like one of the sanctioning bodies negotiated with the WWE to let him appear there.

In UFC, unless I'm mistaken, it's one guy that kinda controls everything.

I would think that this show is affiliated with MMA/UFC in some way to have not only the host be a fighter, but the actual fighters taking part in this.

And I agree that 99.9% of reality shows are staged, but I think this situation is different than "Big Brother" or "The Hills" or whatever.

Am I wrong in suggesting that there could be people who this causes them to reflect badly on UFC/MMA? I'm sure there are already those who don't see the sport as anything but wrestling (same could be said about boxing with all the fucked up decisions I guess) and with them taking part in a show that purports to be on the level, but turns out to be nearly 100% scripted and staged.... I dunno.

Maybe it's all me, man. Maybe there won't be anyone out there that questions UFC/MMA, and that's fine with me. I'm not trying to shit on the sport, despite how this may come off.

I just thought about it yesterday and was wondering how true MMA/UFC fans felt seeing their sport being associated with some shit like this.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Aug 30 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #4

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Aug 30 2009, 02:37 PM) *
Well, Hype, I'm not trying to come off like that. I'm completely up front about my feelings about the sport, so I'm not tryign to hide it and just shitting on it pretending to be objective.

And I think there's a huge difference between this and the Floyd situation.

BOXING is not affiliated with Floyd going to the WWE to do that crap. That's Floyd doing that on his own, completely SEPARATE from Boxing. It's not like one of the sanctioning bodies negotiated with the WWE to let him appear there.

In UFC, unless I'm mistaken, it's one guy that kinda controls everything.

I would think that this show is affiliated with MMA/UFC in some way to have not only the host be a fighter, but the actual fighters taking part in this.

And I agree that 99.9% of reality shows are staged, but I think this situation is different than "Big Brother" or "The Hills" or whatever.

Am I wrong in suggesting that there could be people who this causes them to reflect badly on UFC/MMA? I'm sure there are already those who don't see the sport as anything but wrestling (same could be said about boxing with all the fucked up decisions I guess) and with them taking part in a show that purports to be on the level, but turns out to be nearly 100% scripted and staged.... I dunno.

Maybe it's all me, man. Maybe there won't be anyone out there that questions UFC/MMA, and that's fine with me. I'm not trying to shit on the sport, despite how this may come off.

I just thought about it yesterday and was wondering how true MMA/UFC fans felt seeing their sport being associated with some shit like this.

You're totally wrong because 1) the fighter that hosts it, Jason "Mayhem" Miller, is not a UFC fighter. In fact, none of the fighters who participate in the show are under contract with the UFC so the show in no way, shape or form is affiliated with the UFC and 2) just as BOXING isn't affiliated with Floyd appearing as a guest host on the WWE and making the wrestlers participate in boxing "exhibition" matches, MMA is not affiliated with a fighter appearing on a show and participating in mixed martial arts "exhibition" matches. I mean, those guys aren't really fighting on the show...they're defending submission attempts and then sparring with head gear. I don't know how you can say one is any more reflective of their sport than the other. Just as Floyd is doing his thing independent of boxing, those fighters are doing their think independent of mixed martial arts. People don't watch Floyd Mayweather on the WWE and think that's what boxing is all about and likewise, they don't watch Bully Beatdown and think that's what MMA is all about.

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Aug 30 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #5

Welterweight

So UFC or MMA is not affiliated with this show at ALL?

I would think if these guys are licensed and contracted under whatever organization they're under, that to do a show like this they'd have to be a part of the show. I mean if I ran an organization and some "reality" show wanted to use my guys on it, I'd damn sure want to know what was going on and how my guys were going to be depicted or how the show would reflect on my business.

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Aug 30 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

ahhhhhhhhhhhh just looked up and found out every single one of these guys is Strikeforce/EliteXC. That explains a lot more. lol

And one of the fighters, Bonello, has been accused of being in worked fights.

It all becomes much much clearer. lol

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Sep 1 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #7

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

Is this confirmed 100% sure it's fake??I liked the last season and watched the new episode the other day..I don't like the new outline of the show as much as last seasons..

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Sep 1 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #8

Welterweight

Well Mayhem came out in a sarcastic post like "you're right, you caught us it's all fake"

But several of the "bullies" are actors. The bully in the 1st episode, the brother that kept fucking with his big brother, he is in the new flick 2012, plus he's been on My Name is Earl and some other shows in extra roles or a small roles.

The rollerblading guy who looked like a retarded version of Raphael Saadiq, was on some Fox Reality show last year.

+Quote Post
happygocampy
post Sep 3 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #9

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,569

Yup, i know someone that went on the MTV show where the parents screen they're kids dates. Whatever the heck it's called... i don't watch it. But she said that the whole thing is staged, and she herself is just a young wannabe actress trying to make it big. Reality TV is a joke, the only TV shows that are actually real are the ones you find on channels such as the discovery channel like "Dirty Jobs" and "Myth Busters" etc.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 09:17 AM