IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who are your top 5 defensive fighters of all time?, There are no wrong answers.
ChadSaysTakeTheT...
post Jun 25 2011, 02:07 AM
Post #41

Damn you banned my alter ego too?! U da man Cshel!

Group: Banned
Member No.: 12,188

Hell yea hearns was a bad mofo but rumors he had a suspect chin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Jun 25 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #42

Welterweight

Member No.: 5,991

This topic is complex. Who is skillfully more defensive? Whitaker or Floyd? Would Whitaker have been as elusive if he was orthodox? HOPS

that is a great question... the southpaw stance in and of itself presents awkwardness that enhances one's defense it seems...... Whitaker id alot of ad libbing defensively and reflex response.. Floyd uses technique along with reflexes and to me is a more solid defender

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Jun 25 2011, 02:45 AM

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Jun 25 2011, 03:26 AM
Post #43

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,047

I go back to the mid to late 80's so I can not possibly state any of those old school fighters. But I will just name some of the top defensive guys I remember off the top of my head(in their primes).

Toney is easily number 1 in my book.

Whitaker would be number 2.

Mayweather would be 3.

Roy Jones 4.

Michael Nunn 5.

Oh... the last thing I think of is defense when I think of Zab Judah.

+Quote Post
Hops
post Jun 25 2011, 03:59 AM
Post #44

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,849

C'mon Lil-lightsout, Zab Judah has superb defense. He has it for 20 seconds of each round up to round #6.

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Jun 25 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #45

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 25 2011, 01:26 AM) *
I go back to the mid to late 80's so I can not possibly state any of those old school fighters. But I will just name some of the top defensive guys I remember off the top of my head(in their primes).

Toney is easily number 1 in my book.

Whitaker would be number 2.

Mayweather would be 3.

Roy Jones 4.

Michael Nunn 5.

Oh... the last thing I think of is defense when I think of Zab Judah.

QUOTE (Hops @ Jun 25 2011, 01:59 AM) *
C'mon Lil-lightsout, Zab Judah has superb defense. He has it for 20 seconds of each round up to round #6.

Finally. It took some pages but the blackhead I planted in the beginning is coming to the surface.

Zab's resurgence is nearly exclusively due to his improved defense under the tutelage of Sweet Pea. Without that massively improved defense he would not have made it to the final bell to have the opportunity to be awarded the decision v Matthysse. Judah showed maturity when he took a knee when he got caught by the Argentinian. A younger Zab would have tried to stay up and would have been KOed.

In his last fight he demonstrated the ability to stay in rounds without mounting an offense to speak of. Then after frustrating his opponent for several rounds he came alive and KOed him with little to no risk.

Amere Con has not been in the rings with the likes of this version of Zab, but Judah has been in the ring with several fighters equal to or above Amere's level. Zab Judah will defeat Amere Con with defense first and a lethal offensive attack second. He has had that much more time under the wing of one of the defensive genius's of the modern era . . . and he hasn't lost his one punch power.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Jun 25 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #46

Welterweight

Member No.: 5,991

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 25 2011, 10:19 AM) *
Finally. It took some pages but the blackhead I planted in the beginning is coming to the surface.

Zab's resurgence is nearly exclusively due to his improved defense under the tutelage of Sweet Pea. Without that massively improved defense he would not have made it to the final bell to have the opportunity to be awarded the decision v Matthysse. Judah showed maturity when he took a knee when he got caught by the Argentinian. A younger Zab would have tried to stay up and would have been KOed.

In his last fight he demonstrated the ability to stay in rounds without mounting an offense to speak of. Then after frustrating his opponent for several rounds he came alive and KOed him with little to no risk.

Amere Con has not been in the rings with the likes of this version of Zab, but Judah has been in the ring with several fighters equal to or above Amere's level. Zab Judah will defeat Amere Con with defense first and a lethal offensive attack second. He has had that much more time under the wing of one of the defensive genius's of the modern era . . . and he hasn't lost his one punch power.

Good post. People need to open their eyes on Judah.. Dude has a new brain and new heart.. he has seen the wizard!!! Khan may get his clock cleaned... Mabuza who people say is shit after Judah Ko'd him yet prior to Judah stopping him people were picking Zab to get his usual ass kicking. His last two fights he has used his head, listened to his corner that now offers more advice than Joel's BOOM BOOM POW INSTRUCTIONS... WHITAKER IS DOING AN EXCELLENT JOB AND JUDAH IS GOOD FOR sweet pea too who looks like he is finally off CRACK!!!

+Quote Post
Prov0
post Jun 25 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #47

Alright Cshel...I give up. You caught me!

Member No.: 12,364

ATG
1.Floyd Mayweather Jr
2.Pernell Whitaker
3.Willie Pep
4.Jack Johnson
5.James Toney

Current
1.Floyd

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Jun 25 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #48

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (Prov0 @ Jun 25 2011, 11:04 AM) *
ATG
1.Floyd Mayweather Jr
2.Pernell Whitaker
3.Willie Pep
4.Jack Johnson
5.James Toney

Current
1.Floyd

Nobody else who is active deserves a mention?

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Jun 25 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #49

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,195

QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 24 2011, 02:50 PM) *
He's asking for two lists...ATG and Current.

I think I gave both.

+Quote Post
JONdaCON817
post Jun 25 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #50

Welcome to the Dirty South

Member No.: 11,493

better late then never...

Sweat Pea (personal Fav)
Robinson
ALI
Marciano
RJJ
Sugar Ray Robinson and Leonard

Mayweather
BHop
Toney
Winky
JuanManuel Marquez (pretty underrated IMO)

... i also like E. Augustus. i loved watchin him weave and kicc a leg up. His defense wasnt GREAT but unorthodox and fun to watch. Holmes, Duran and Marciano get the Honorable mention.

Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, and Dirrell get Honorable Mention for my Current Fighters

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 02:54 PM