IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather Against Past Greats: Leonard, Hearns, and Duran, Set at Welterweight.
Jack 1000
post Nov 4 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Mayweather vs. Hearns: Because of Tommy's power, there is a chance that he could hurt Floyd early and test him within the first four rounds. In which Hearns would have had the right hand to shock the world. Picture that if Judah was able to drop Floyd and what Mosley might have done if he had not been too nice in letting Floyd of the hook in that 2nd round. Tommy could blitz, Make it a 30% shot.

But from round 5 on, it's all Floyd. Hearns, despite his incredible boxing ability and power, often did not react well to being hit. Leonard, the best boxer Tommy ever fought was no great puncher and you saw that he had Hearns hurt in both of their fights. Floyd would pick and roll, use the elbows and would begin to find the range and take a close but unanimous decision. Maybe split, if there are knockdowns early scored by Hearns, that is IF Floyd could get by those first four rounds.

Mayweather vs. Duran: Duran's greatest was at lightweight and the first Leonard fight, and he would have to be at his Leonard I peek to beat Floyd on a decision. He could be like Castillo in the first fight. I would put that chance at 45%. HOWEVER, 55% says Floyd gets in Duran's head like Leonard did in the second Duran fight. A better chance is New Orleans all over again with Duran quitting as Floyd does what he wants and Duran's mind games go nowhere.

Mayweather vs. Leonard: A mastermind chess game with great boxing, combinations, and agility from both. Floyd is very good, but this time, he has found a grand master in Leonard who just does a little better, a little sharper in most of the rounds. It would be like Leonard-Hagler with Floyd being Hagler, where he just could not get off quite as well as Leonard, but it's very close. A hotly debated split decision goes to Ray, and Floyd complains about the loss when the topic is brought up, just like Hagler did against Leonard.

What are your calls?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 4 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #2

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

From what I've seen, FMJ has a pretty decent chin but I dont know any fighters as of late, who has an "80's chin". Those dudes took all kinds of punches in their era, which may have surely contributed to their speech nowadays. No doubt in my mind that all 3 of these guys would be hell for Floyd, hands down. Mayweather/Hearns would be a wild one because Hearns is tall, with nasty reach, a nasty jab, and a "nighty night" right hand. As you said, Hearns didn't react well to punches, but Floyd's not a big puncher either...so his punches would probably more frustrating than anything.

A fight with Duran, would be just as dangerous, but at WW, Floyd would be able to get off a bit more and frustrate Duran in route to a decision. Sigh...Leonard...this would be Floyd's fight to lose. His defense and speed would be a factor, but I just dont see him pulling it off. Floyd's a better fighter than Sr., so I will give that much of an edge, but Leonard would be too much for him.

Of course Floyd's ability to slip punches and frustrate his opponents would be key in these fights, but my only concern is any of these guys landing punches on Floyd. These guys punched like nobody I've ever seen, whether it was blinding speed or concrete fists, they would pose a serious threat to Floyd.

+Quote Post
jlupi
post Nov 4 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 2,117

He could be like Castillo in the first fight.>>>>>

I nhope your not saying castillo=duran? they are not in the same league offensively or defensively

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Nov 4 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #4

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (jlupi @ Nov 4 2011, 03:09 PM) *
He could be like Castillo in the first fight.>>>>>

I nhope your not saying castillo=duran? they are not in the same league offensively or defensively

I mean in terms of style. Castillo was good, but Duran in his prime is one of the greatest fighters who ever lived.

Jack

+Quote Post
sduck
post Nov 4 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,788

Mayweather and Hearns will be competitive, but Mayweather will eventually neutralize Hearns' assets to a late stoppage. Hearns has a reach and height advantage, but Mayweather will be able to slip punches through his jab, and will eventually neutralize Hearns' jab and speed with accurate body shots. Hearns won't be able to keep the pace, to take that kind of punishment for 12 or 15 rounds straight. Hearns will of course be able to hit Mayweather, everyone can, but Mayweather would be smart and elusive enough to not let Hearns get a clean shot with his right. History has shown that Mayweather has slipped up against Corley, Judah, and Mosley at 140-147. There's always a possibility Hearns would hit Mayweather clean with a right. However, Mayweather even when being stumbled has been able to defend his way out of those situations.

Mayweather would most-likely box his way to a decision against Duran. Duran wouldn't just come forward into a wild brawl, ignoring punishment like Castillo, that's just not how he fights. Even thought there is a possibility because that wasn't usually how Castillo fought either lol (I also think it's dumb how people always bring the first Castillo fight for an excuse for any fighter that isn't very slick, and especially ignore the second fight, when both Mayweather and Castillo fought the exact same way. Mayweather just looked more sharp in the second fight, which is why he was able to convincingly win.) There's also a possibility Duran would get frustrated, like most of Mayweather's opponents, like he got frustrated against Leonard. We could see a stoppage, more-likely a corner stoppage.

Now Mayweather against Leonard. Mayweather has a defensive edge, and might be more sharper than Leonard. Leonard throws more combinations, and has the possible speed advantage. If it came down to a chess match, I would give this to Mayweather by close decision. Leonard however could play a chess match, while the same time bring the pressure. Those flurries would be too much for any normal human and would penetrate Mayweather's defense. Then afterwards it depends on what Leonard can connect with from there. IMO the most possible way Leonard could win this, is on activity. Mayweather has the habit of becoming too defensive and will sell rounds due to lack of activity. Leonard would take complete advantage of this. This could come down to going either way, like how I have with prime DLH vs Mayweather. But I still favor Mayweather to more-likely win somehow.

One last match-up, I know it isn't part of this thread, but it's in response to Pacquiao-Hearns. Hearns has shown he can't keep the pace, and gets shot down by hard shots, even from fighters who aren't big punchers. Pacquiao at 147 will be hurt but eat and survive Hearns' punches and will eventually catch Hearns to a late stoppage.

This post has been edited by sduck: Nov 4 2011, 06:50 PM

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Nov 4 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

Member No.: 195

pretty simple for me

prime v/s prime

hearns v/s floyd ...floyd by majority decision

duran v/s floyd ... Duran by stoppage around rd 8

chavez v/s floyd at 140 ... floyd by ud, but Chavez damaged opponents when he hit them and he was suprising crafty and quick. Floyd would age alot as a fighter after this fight

Leonard v/s Floyd ... those who believe floyd is better defensively than leonard dont remember ray. His defense was more traditional, but no less effective. Leonard hit very hard when he chose to, and his speed, activity, footwork, inhuman balance and precision punching wouldnt allow floyd to sit back, shoulder roll and pot shot ray. Ray Leonard by UD 9-3.

+Quote Post
bosco
post Nov 4 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #7

Flyweight

Member No.: 12,191

I'm a die hard Mayweather fan but Hearns beats Floyd. You have to be real aggressive to beat Hearns and Floyd ain't that aggressive. The size and the jab would be too much and the right hand...we all know about Hearns right hand. Plus Hearns can flat out box.
Floyd neutralizes Duran for a ud win.
Leonard wins by decision. Too many flurries and plus Leonard knew how to look the part. He knew how to look like he was winning. De La Hoya lost by split decision to Floyd off aggression alone and I think Leonard schools Oscar. Floyd is the man but those fighters in the 80's were a different monster.

+Quote Post
bosco
post Nov 4 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #8

Flyweight

Put it like this...Floyd pot shots bigger opponents for the win like Badamir and De la Hoya. What would Hearns, Duran and Leonard have done to Baldimir, Judah, Castillo or anyone else Floyd has fought. The 80's was rough.

+Quote Post
jrazor
post Nov 6 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #9

Amateur

Member No.: 11,573

Floyd lands shots on the money and doesn't get hit. in the 80's it was all about hit and get hit. sorry but Floyd beats them all with leonard giving him the most trouble.

This post has been edited by jrazor: Nov 6 2011, 04:44 PM

+Quote Post
bosco
post Nov 6 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #10

Flyweight

QUOTE (jrazor @ Nov 6 2011, 05:42 PM) *
Floyd lands shots on the money and doesn't get hit. in the 80's it was all about hit and get hit. sorry but Floyd beats them all with leonard giving him the most trouble.

Wrong!!! If Hearns fought a hit and get hit style he would have been knocked out more than 3 times. Those guys would have been too active for Floyd.
No matter how good someone's defense is ...everyone is vulnerable while they're punching and pot shotting wouldn't have got it done. Floyd would have lost the decision.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 07:50 PM