IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PPV: Chavez vs. Martinez@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT) SPOILERS (Topics Merged), (Rematch?)
Cheesey1
post Sep 17 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #161

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 17 2012, 04:17 PM) *
It's not that Martinez let anyone do anything. I think like other people have mentioned Martinez was his own enemy, he decided to exchange when he could easily not have, and he was clearly gassed and intent on trying to stop chavez (which he almost accomplished according to roach). He threw over 900 punches forced the action and I think he definitely gained chavez respect with his punching power and thats what led to chavez not letting his hands go because at many points in the fight Martinez was literally standing in front of him with his hands down. Idk if it warrants a rematch but I will be happy if Martinez gets another pay day as long as he stays the hell away from Texas!!!!

True. Slight correction and maybe I misunderstood your post, I said that "if Chavez was his own enemy."
I said that because one argument is that since Chavez caught Martinez in the 12th then if he had just let his hands go earlier then he would've had that sort of success earlier. You addressed that in your post by noting that Chavez wasn't punching as much because he didn't want to get hit by Martinez because he had felt his power and was in awe of his speed. Also Martinez was probably pretty tired in the 12th and obviously less mobile, which was probably part of JCC Jr. and Freddie Roach's strategy i.e. wait until he's tired (yeah I know, rocket science..).

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 17 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #162

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Sep 17 2012, 01:38 AM) *
"...kids through college" Nice one and I agree completely.

Re. the post 'Beatdown I' photo (the rematch will be called "Beatdown II), same here, I did feel bad for him. Unfortunately for him that's the photo that I'm using for the Weekend Round Up article that I'm writing now.

A picture is worth a thousand words

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 17 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #163

Light Heavyweight

I don't think 2 KD's warrant a rematch, if this wasn't Chavez jr wouldn't none of these people masquerading as fans be calling for a rematch. If I play a one on one game against Lebron and we playing to 11, it's 10-0, but I finally score 1 pt then another and then Lebron wins 11-2, I deserve a rematch? GTFOH, that's the worse logic possible lol

Fighters like Lara, Molina, etc...deserve rematches, Chavez jr doesn't. If I was Dibella and Martinez I'd make the kid sweat, look how long it took them to get him in the ring to fight. All that gibberish Arum and them was talking, the shoes on the other foot now. I want to see a rematch but not because of the 12th rd. I want to see it because I want to see what adjustments each fighter will make, and because Martinez has nowhere else to go for a $ fight.

Question though, if Chavez jr would've scored the KO..how many would be screaming for a rematch?

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Sep 17 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #164

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 17 2012, 04:39 PM) *
I don't think 2 KD's warrant a rematch, if this wasn't Chavez jr wouldn't none of these people masquerading as fans be calling for a rematch. If I play a one on one game against Lebron and we playing to 11, it's 10-0, but I finally score 1 pt then another and then Lebron wins 11-2, I deserve a rematch? GTFOH, that's the worse logic possible lol

Fighters like Lara, Molina, etc...deserve rematches, Chavez jr doesn't. If I was Dibella and Martinez I'd make the kid sweat, look how long it took them to get him in the ring to fight. All that gibberish Arum and them was talking, the shoes on the other foot now. I want to see a rematch but not because of the 12th rd. I want to see it because I want to see what adjustments each fighter will make, and because Martinez has nowhere else to go for a $ fight.

Question though, if Chavez jr would've scored the KO..how many would be screaming for a rematch?

You can't compare basketball to boxing, in boxing it only takes one mistake to lose it all even if u are dominating all night long. If Chavez had won by KO in the last round that would have been a greater reason for the rematch.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 17 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #165

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

There was only 1 kd bro..

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 17 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #166

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 17 2012, 04:39 PM) *

your basketball analogy is way off! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) thing about boxing...1pt (punch) can end it...and chavez almost did. sure...martinez did dominate and i think had he not been dropped in that last round i would have zero interest in a rematch. but since he was...i'm interested.

if chavez scored the ko...i'd still be interested in the rematch because i would have thought about martinez almost pitching a shutout and making that last minute mistake. i'd want to see if he could do it again...minus the mistake.

either way...no one sounded more enthusiastic about the rematch than lou dibella himself. it was one of the first things he said at the press conference.

while i like guys like lara and molina...(i actually thought molina beat chavez twice...and he beat lara imo) both of those fights would be steps backwards for martinez. i guarantee u those two aren't even on the radar for martinez. now canelo/martinez....that's a fight i'd love to see.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 17 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #167

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 17 2012, 05:39 PM) *

1. I believe it's the rounds that the knockdowns were scored. Had those knockdowns occurred in the early or mid rounds, then I wouldn't even want to see a rematch. Those 12th round knockdowns heightened the storyline of the fight, and made it seem as if Juio was either playing possum (which I doubt), or he actually had Sergio's number (which could also be speculated).

2. I think everybody would be asking for a rematch, had that happened. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 17 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #168

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Sep 17 2012, 05:11 PM) *
You can't compare basketball to boxing, in boxing it only takes one mistake to lose it all even if u are dominating all night long. If Chavez had won by KO in the last round that would have been a greater reason for the rematch.

I used the comparison with basketball in terms of Lebron who's popular just as JCC jr is, the fact remains that a knockdown doesn't warrant a rematch. And mistakes are mistakes, in ANY sport. Don't act like in an NBA finals game that ONE mistake won't decide or could very well decide the outcome. I.E. the 09 finals with the Lakers-Celtics

I don't believe too many people would be screaming for a rematch if junior had of pulled it out. I anticipate a rematch once Martinez heals up obviously and the same thing will happen again, he might even stop Chavez jr

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 17 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #169

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 17 2012, 07:05 PM) *
your basketball analogy is way off! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) thing about boxing...1pt (punch) can end it...and chavez almost did. sure...martinez did dominate and i think had he not been dropped in that last round i would have zero interest in a rematch. but since he was...i'm interested.

if chavez scored the ko...i'd still be interested in the rematch because i would have thought about martinez almost pitching a shutout and making that last minute mistake. i'd want to see if he could do it again...minus the mistake.

either way...no one sounded more enthusiastic about the rematch than lou dibella himself. it was one of the first things he said at the press conference.

while i like guys like lara and molina...(i actually thought molina beat chavez twice...and he beat lara imo) both of those fights would be steps backwards for martinez. i guarantee u those two aren't even on the radar for martinez. now canelo/martinez....that's a fight i'd love to see.

no it's not, see the ex. above. And tell that to Paul Pierce and Garnett and see what kind of response you get lol. Sports are sports and mistakes are mistakes period. The only difference is your getting punches thrown at you. The fact of the matter is if that knockdown never occurred nobody would be "screaming" rematch, I'm sure a few would say it and call for it but not to the extent that it is now.

Dibella should be calling for it, where else is he going to maneuver Martinez. I've read the interviews he's been giving and he seems to favor the rematch, but he also called out Canelo and GB last night too. And I didn't mean Lara/Molina against Martinez..I meant they should've received rematches against P williams and Kirkland respectively in their bouts against them, there was minimal outcry in those fights...why is that? Could it be because the victors of those fights were more known to the boxing public? I think so. Canelo vs Martinez, I'd actually pay the ppv to see that

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 17 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #170

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

My mistake folks...it was only one knockdown in the 12th. Sorry, I was there live and the Mexicans forced me to believe it was 2, rather than one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) No seriously, they were hyped (so was I), and from where I was sitting, we were still celebrating the 1st one. LOL

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 08:11 AM