> FightHype Q&A - February 13, 2014
thehype
post Feb 20 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #81

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Jovi @ Feb 19 2014, 10:55 PM) *
Are Mayweather's next choices really only Khan and Maidana? I remember before he announced Guerrero there was that hooplah with him fighting Devon alexander. Guerrero was the mandatory then. Lara is the Mandatory now.

Is Lara supposed to get the winner of Canelo/Angulo, and if he does, will be a be PPV? This is assuming he isnt the next Mayweather opponent, Lara beating the winner of Canelo/Angulo would be a better build up for a Mayweather fight but it seems like too long of a wait and too much of a gamble to assume Lara will get past the winner.

There's that article on the frontpage about that Female boxer being associated with TMT. Is there a possibility of a Female boxing match on the May 3rd card?

Is there any word on Matthysse? Possible comeback fight soon or Lamont Peterson rematch?

1. Yes, those are the only two options he considered. He said he was letting the fans decide between Maidana and Khan, and I fully expect him to stick to his word. The only thing no one has gotten confirmation on is exactly which poll or polls he was considering when tallying the votes. Was it just the poll on the Mayweather Promotions site, or were other polls (like the one on ESPN) also being added to the total count? I'm sure we'll get an answer in the very near future.

2. Doubtful. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Erislandy Lara fighting for a jr. middleweight title at the end of April.

3. I don't think that's part of the plan at all, but you never know.

4. Last I heard, Matthysse was likely coming back in April, but it's been awhile since I've heard any update on that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 26 2014, 10:25 AM
Post #82

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (thehype @ Feb 19 2014, 01:36 PM) *
Simple answer...I don't think their handlers want to. You have to keep fighters hungry in order to keep them fighting, and the more money you get them, the less hungry they get. It's a pretty fvcked up concept, but I think if most promoters/managers could have it their way, a fighter would make just enough money to last him until their next fight. The longer you keep them fighting, the more money you make. That's not to say they don't get hooked up with endorsements here and there, but for the most part, I truly think they are discouraged. I know for a fact that one particular fighter (I won't say his name), was offered a pretty nice deal that he turned down simply because he was told to.

Damn, smh...

I guess it makes sense though, because we've seen fighters making money outside of boxing, and simply lose sight of their boxing career. Sheesh, I guess the phrase "protecting your investment" truly applies in these situations. We see fighters get decent paydays and get fat between fights, so I guess another stream of revenue outside of boxing will do much worse. Lol

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 26 2014, 10:39 AM
Post #83

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 26 2014, 08:25 AM) *
Damn, smh...

I guess it makes sense though, because we've seen fighters making money outside of boxing, and simply lose sight of their boxing career. Sheesh, I guess the phrase "protecting your investment" truly applies in these situations. We see fighters get decent paydays and get fat between fights, so I guess another stream of revenue outside of boxing will do much worse. Lol

Victor Ortiz would be an example.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 26 2014, 11:42 AM
Post #84

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 26 2014, 10:39 AM) *
Victor Ortiz would be an example.

His situation was weird though...he was nursing an injury on his second break from boxing. I probably would've picked up a few more side gigs while I was nursing a broken jaw too, wouldn't you? I mean, it's not like he was getting paid during that break.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 26 2014, 11:51 AM
Post #85

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 26 2014, 08:42 AM) *
His situation was weird though...he was nursing an injury on his second break from boxing. I probably would've picked up a few more side gigs while I was nursing a broken jaw too, wouldn't you? I mean, it's not like he was getting paid during that break.

He was modeling before he got his jaw cracked, he did underwear commercials and some weird Mexican tequila commercial that had Ms. Jackson in it. Matter of fact when he was during the 24/7 Mayweather, Floyd had a picture of Ortiz doing his draws commercial. I think they even showed him a photo during 24/7. Oh, and he was doing cologne commercials as well, Dancing with the Stars too.

This post has been edited by Dolimite: Feb 26 2014, 11:52 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 26 2014, 09:37 PM
Post #86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 26 2014, 11:51 AM) *
He was modeling before he got his jaw cracked, he did underwear commercials and some weird Mexican tequila commercial that had Ms. Jackson in it. Matter of fact when he was during the 24/7 Mayweather, Floyd had a picture of Ortiz doing his draws commercial. I think they even showed him a photo during 24/7. Oh, and he was doing cologne commercials as well, Dancing with the Stars too.

Yeah he made the most of his earnings, but I still don't think he went all that crazy. Well, I'm not sure what to call all of that extra stuff he did after the Floyd fight...maybe he was a bit depressed too...dude is a head case.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 27 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #87

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 26 2014, 06:37 PM) *
Yeah he made the most of his earnings, but I still don't think he went all that crazy. Well, I'm not sure what to call all of that extra stuff he did after the Floyd fight...maybe he was a bit depressed too...dude is a head case.

he is. I think fighter have to keep an edge. Victor has an edge.

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Feb 27 2014, 07:35 PM
Post #88

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,114

I'm not giving up on Ortiz, still... I read he was in Joel Diaz gym so thats a step in the right direction, finally

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 02:25 AM