> Larry Merchant leaving HBO, replaced by Max Kellerman
sduck
post Dec 15 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,788

http://www.bing.com/search?q=larry+merchant&form=msnwis

What do you guys think? Good or bad news?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Dec 15 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 15 2012, 12:24 PM) *

Bad news! First Emanuel steward now Larry merchant is stepping away, shit will not be the same. I can't agree with everything merchant says but he is very entertaining. Although he is leaving, he will continue to announce the big bouts.

+Quote Post
Genius
post Dec 15 2012, 01:23 PM
Post #3

Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,359

He was great back in the day, got worse over the years but he always said funny shit. Max tries hard to come up with witty stuff ala Larry, but I'm sure he'll get better with time.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 15 2012, 01:36 PM
Post #4

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Dec 15 2012, 11:36 AM) *
Bad news! First Emanuel steward now Larry merchant is stepping away, shit will not be the same. I can't agree with everything merchant says but he is very entertaining. Although he is leaving, he will continue to announce the big bouts.

Where did you see that he will continue to announce big bouts? I read that he will continue to write about boxing major events, but this Saturday will be the last fight that Larry will cover for HBO. Love him or hate him, Larry brought a personified image of calling it like it is, not seen since the days of Howard Cosell calling big boxing matches in the days where Pay-Per-View caliber fights today were broadcast on commercial TV. He was far less of a cheerleader for HBO than the others on the team, and did not care if his opinion was a dissenting one from the network. (i.e "Delahoya's enterence music sucks) which got him suspended for one telecast. Could you imagine Lamply or Kellerman saying that? LOL!

However, in the later years, especially the last five, Larry seemed increasingly bored at HBO and seemed to care less and less about being there. Only when a fight was a thriller did he seem to care anymore. He is probably stepping down at the right time and will be missed for the unquire qualities he brought to the network for 35 years!

Jack

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 15 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 15 2012, 12:24 PM) *

Christmas came a bit early this year.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Dec 15 2012, 02:52 PM
Post #6

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

Mhm...well, what can I say. Sometimes, straight up shit came out of his mouth. But I will miss him behind that microphone, thats for sure. What I will not miss is his smart dissrespectful ass asking questions as if the fighters were descendants of Socrates himself. His ego was writing checks his ass couldn't cash.

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Dec 15 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 15 2012, 01:36 PM) *
Where did you see that he will continue to announce big bouts? I read that he will continue to write about boxing major events, but this Saturday will be the last fight that Larry will cover for HBO. Love him or hate him, Larry brought a personified image of calling it like it is, not seen since the days of Howard Cosell calling big boxing matches in the days where Pay-Per-View caliber fights today were broadcast on commercial TV. He was far less of a cheerleader for HBO than the others on the team, and did not care if his opinion was a dissenting one from the network. (i.e "Delahoya's enterence music sucks) which got him suspended for one telecast. Could you imagine Lamply or Kellerman saying that? LOL!

However, in the later years, especially the last five, Larry seemed increasingly bored at HBO and seemed to care less and less about being there. Only when a fight was a thriller did he seem to care anymore. He is probably stepping down at the right time and will be missed for the unquire qualities he brought to the network for 35 years!

Jack

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=8744910

In this article on espn he says he has it in his contract to parachute in out when something occurs.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 15 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #8

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Dec 15 2012, 02:22 PM) *
http://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=8744910

In this article on espn he says he has it in his contract to parachute in out when something occurs.

Like "Fan Man!" hahahahahaha!!!

Jack

+Quote Post
BigDDatHomey
post Dec 15 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #9

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 12,802

The It's almost as if Mayweather has gone from Hip Hop to Rap...really?

Peace out Larry...don't come back

This post has been edited by BigDDatHomey: Dec 15 2012, 07:29 PM

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Dec 15 2012, 08:25 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Dec 15 2012, 07:28 PM) *
The It's almost as if Mayweather has gone from Hip Hop to Rap...really?

Peace out Larry...don't come back

Lol! He had to be running out of material when used that line.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:35 PM