IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@10PM(ET)/7PM(PT): Pascal vs, Hopkins II (SPOILERS 15 Minutes Later), No New Duplicate Threads, New Spoilers, or Public Streams Permitted
neophyte7
post May 25 2011, 08:31 AM
Post #151

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

HOPKINS WAS ON THE COVER OF RING MAGAZINE YEARS AGO... in the wake of destroying Trinidad the cover read something to the effect of him being boxing's lone MAVERICK... I don't know who wrote that article yet he stated that at that time he saw no problem with Hopkins doing his thing in his 40s... When I read the article back then I was like "wow" doing his thing in his 40s!!! I mean he is really an exciting fighter at Light Heavyweight, yet listening to Hopkins in the past years talking up how he would keep the promise (to quit at 40-41) to his "dead mother" etc... I knew he was just playing mind games. Hopkins has always planned to be around a long time. Bouie Fisher cannot be left out of the equation of HOPKINS SUCCESS... the great boxing MIND HOPKINS HAS IS ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE GREAT BOUIE FISHER... A GREAT BOXING MIND who taught BH pretty much what he knows-- I recall reading an article of this FISHER ALLUDING to techniques Hopkins would start to use in the ring to compensate for the natural debilitation of age... Hopkins would be nowhere without FISHER being with and teaching him so many years.

This post has been edited by neophyte7: May 25 2011, 08:36 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Method
post May 26 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #152

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 25 2011, 09:31 AM) *
listening to Hopkins in the past years talking up how he would keep the promise (to quit at 40-41) to his "dead mother"

His mother is dead.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 26 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #153

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Yeah I know his mother is deceased... I was mentioning how for years Hopkins told the public and the press that he would honor a promise to his mother before she died in quitting at 40 or 41... He never intended to keep that promise if in fact he ever made it.. not criticizing him, but that in my view is part of the mystique of hopkins saying things to throw people off...

This post has been edited by neophyte7: May 26 2011, 03:08 PM

+Quote Post
Method
post May 26 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #154

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 26 2011, 04:08 PM) *
Yeah I know his mother is deceased... I was mentioning how for years Hopkins told the public and the press that he would honor a promise to his mother before she died in quitting at 40 or 41... He never intended to keep that promise if in fact he ever made it.. not criticizing him, but that in my view is part of the mystique of hopkins saying things to throw people off...

I agree. I was in camp right before she dies. He had no intention of hanging them up.

Marketing ploy that backfired, IMO.

I have no doubt she wanted him to retire. But I have al the doubt he intended to.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:40 PM