IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Matthysse cancelling press tour, Smart or dumb move?
Kratza
post Aug 6 2013, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,360

Recently he's coming under fire for apparently trying to avoid USADA testing since they don't test outside of the US. Personally I think it's a smart move by Lucas because now he is able to avoid the mind games that Danny and Angel present, I don't believe he is taking PEDs because he surely would have been caught out by now and blasted all over the media. Another point is, his fight is not getting the media attention or exposure it would've got with the press tour although it may not be needed because the main event is so large in itself it is still an important factor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Aug 6 2013, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Berto managed to hide it long enough...

+Quote Post
Kratza
post Aug 6 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #3

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,360

QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 6 2013, 10:42 PM) *
Berto managed to hide it long enough...

True but surely if the cancellation interfered with the testing it would go against the terms of the contract

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Aug 6 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

QUOTE (Kratza @ Aug 6 2013, 02:42 PM) *
Recently he's coming under fire for apparently trying to avoid USADA testing since they don't test outside of the US. Personally I think it's a smart move by Lucas because now he is able to avoid the mind games that Danny and Angel present, I don't believe he is taking PEDs because he surely would have been caught out by now and blasted all over the media. Another point is, his fight is not getting the media attention or exposure it would've got with the press tour although it may not be needed because the main event is so large in itself it is still an important factor

You think its a smart move? Lucas gets his first big fight and he avoids the press conference? This is prize fighting and selling the fight is a big part of it. These guys cry for the big fights with the big purses. The cancellation is costing GBP money. If I were Shaefer id take it out of his purse to teach him a lesson. Then Id put him back on ShoEx against the bums he used to fight. This dude aint about building up his name so he can go back to table scraps. Hes not willing to sacrifice for the company.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 6 2013, 08:03 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Aug 6 2013, 08:24 PM) *
You think its a smart move? Lucas gets his first big fight and he avoids the press conference? This is prize fighting and selling the fight is a big part of it. These guys cry for the big fights with the big purses. The cancellation is costing GBP money. If I were Shaefer id take it out of his purse to teach him a lesson. Then Id put him back on ShoEx against the bums he used to fight. This dude aint about building up his name so he can go back to table scraps. Hes not willing to sacrifice for the company.

Cant argue with this...

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 6 2013, 11:34 PM
Post #6

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

We will see in september if it was a smart move, all I know is he better be in serious training to just blown off the press conference. The move was bold and seemed to get under Danny's skin a bit and he usually is quite the reserved guy in most situations

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Aug 7 2013, 12:19 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

The way I see Lucas isn't loud like garcias camp, he isn't gonna say anything to get more attention then he already has, all this tour would have done is interrupted his camp put him in the presence of dannys dads talk and make a spectacle of him in hostile Puerto Rico.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Aug 7 2013, 09:38 AM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 6 2013, 09:19 PM) *
The way I see Lucas isn't loud like garcias camp, he isn't gonna say anything to get more attention then he already has, all this tour would have done is interrupted his camp put him in the presence of dannys dads talk and make a spectacle of him in hostile Puerto Rico.

So Lucas doesnt have to do his part? Then why is he in the fight if hes not willing to help sell it?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 7 2013, 10:02 AM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

For all the people saying that this fight has been sold and already promoted...bullcrap. Didn't Canelo have his own separate press tours for those Mayweather cards that he fought on? Wonder why? Duh...there's a completely different market out here for him...like those Mexican cable companies and so on.

Of course Floyd and Canelo have been to 10 of 11 cities to promote this card, but they haven't been to PR...that's exactly where Garcia and Matthysse were supposed to be. I'm sure there's a market in PR for Danny, or at least this would've been a step in the right direction, especially for those over who may have somewhat been on the fence about ordering this fight.

So NO, this fight has NOT reached it's full potential for promotion, especially if PR was thrown in there as part of the tour. Some of yall are so excited at the fact that Mayweather/Canelo is happening, that you're forgetting that there are other fights on the card. Oh yeah, that's right, only REAL boxing fans watch the whole card anyway...what was I thinking?

Guys are making excuses for Matthysse, which I find a bit on the disgusting side. Think about it, how to do fighters get HUGE paydays? Oh that's right, the world has to know/care about who they are. If I'm not mistaken, hasn't Matthysse's stans been crying about him getting this big fight?

Had it not been for the public's outrage, no one would even care about this fight happening in the first place. I just look at it as a slap in the face from Lucas. I mean shit, if he only cared about "training" and "fighting", then yes, his ass needs to be fighting some bum on ShoExtreme, so people can either miss or overlook his fight, and wait for the main card to air.

I like Matthysse, don't get me wrong, but dude is in serious foul trouble with me. First he got sick and pulled out of the Morales fight, which was again, on another big PPV card (Star Power), he whines and complains about not getting big fights and title shots, and NOW, on the BIGGEST card of the year, he opts out of the press tour?! Shouldn't he have been training way before the fight even got signed? It's not like they haven't been discussing the fight for the past couple of months. I just don't understand these quiet guys who cry about not getting big paydays or title shots (read: big paydays).

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Aug 7 2013, 10:06 AM
Post #10

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

Believe me, this fight doesn't have to be sold......the headliner is already selling it. Plus, no matter how many MORE PPVs they get, these two aren't getting ANY of the add'l gate or PPV sales. I'm thinking that Lucas' camp knows this and rather than argue that sh*t out in Spanish over X amount of countries and/or cities, they opted stay in that gym, in prep to be victories Sept. 14th.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 01:35 AM