Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thickback
post Jan 11 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #12

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,355

I do like this fight. I do't like that it's PPV, but I won't mind if it has a great undercard. Not penny more than $50 though. Preferably $40 as mentioned above.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 11 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #13

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jan 11 2014, 07:17 PM) *
I think assessment of PPV worthiness is important for economic reasons, the fight, the fighters themselves are they worthy of a PPV card? If these matches were sill $40 and under, I could see less of a need for a PPV or not evaluation, but at $60-$70 a shot, just about every fight that isn't the automatic closed-circuit TV relm deserves the question of is it PPV caliber?

The point being that if you look at how awesome that whole regular four-hour non-PPV Maidana-Broner card was, you can see why just about every big fight should be regular Showtime or HBO. PPV encompasses economic and promoter greed, and I don't think ANY fight should be PPV, unless it is the kind of closed-circuit match from the 60's-80's were a PPV was automatically expected. I want to thank Showtime again for the excellent and non-PPV Maidana card!!!! That's what boxing and it's cards should represent!

Jack

I see your point Jack, and I'll also add just why economic reasons AREN'T important, regardless of the whether or not it's $60-$70. Years ago, people were making a HUGE fuss about gas prices...roughly around '08 when the reason was no secret.

Around that time, especially in my area, people were fussing about it, BUT, Red Lobster's line was always wrapped around the building (not that I typically eat there, but I could see it from the hwy, lol), movie theaters were still packed, lines at nightclubs were still wrapped around the building, etc.

I remember those days...club entree fees were a standard of 15-20 dollars, beers were at least $5 a pop, cocktails were between 8-10 dollars, people would hit up IHOP or Waffle House afterwards...this was ALL in one night, which could easily reach the 80 to 100 dollar mark...but people were still complaining about how much gas cost. Lol

Not only that, but I remember going to Hooter's to see Jones/Hopkins II (don't judge me), but I think I remember that fight being about $55. I bought wings ($10), several beers (about $30 worth at the price of about $4 each because I was in there for hours), and I bought chips & dip ($4...because I was in there so long). Not only that, but I tipped about $15, (because my waitress was hot and she took care of me)...so that's about $60...same price as the actual PPV itself.

I said that to say, some of these same scums that get on the net and whine about how much a PPV costs, are the same ones who buy them. The whole, "this fight isn't worth $60" argument is translation for, "Man, why does this fight cost so much. I'm still gonna buy it, but damn, why are they charging so much?"

I said all that to say, people are never satisfied, period. When PPVs were $25, I remember hearing my dad tripping about the cost (back in the HW era of boxing), lol. Fact is, even if a decent card was $40 (SD) and $50 (HD), guys will still complain. Not only that, but guys are complaining about PPV costs, but these fighters are still cracking over 1M buys. Funny, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I agree with you all though...not all pf these guys are PPV worthy, but we all must agree that they need to start somewhere. Oscar didn't always fight top comp on PPV (not that I can remember), but you where he ended up after a few of those "not-so-great" PPV opponents.

Showtime HAS spoiled us with these PPV-length cards, but again, I know it takes money to make money...so I'd rather see boxing cracking over 1M buys, JUST to throw it in the face of these MMA reverends who swear the sport is dead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
truth
post Jan 12 2014, 03:02 AM
Post #14

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,835

This will be a challange canelo will get that chin checked by a real middle weight that said canelo wins unless he gets knocked out which i doubt happens...

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jan 12 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #15

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

A good comeback fight for Canelo. If there's anyone who can test how much of a man-child Canelo is made out to be, it's "el perro" Angulo with a good trainer in Virgil Hunter. My wonder though, is how much the Lara fight took out of him. Witnessing Perro having to quit is a first, even when guys like James Kirkland couldn't even make that happen with the beating he unleashed on him. Canelo has the advantage in speed, but he's finally up against a solid junior middleweight who can dish out as much as he can take and we'll be able to see where his chin is at if he's to get tagged by a heavy handed Angulo.

PPV don't bother me none, so long as the undercard is good will determine for me if I'm at the sports bar with it, or on the couch with the honey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Jan 12 2014, 01:03 PM
Post #16

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

Who wants to sig bet that it looks and ends like Alvarez cotto all over again ...if he looks bad at the wrong time they'll hand it to red. The dog has to come in and take this fight to him from bell to bell. . Honestly they wanted this fight before the Kirkland loss. Hopefully hunter has the right gameplan and Pedro sees it as a do or die fight. .....oh and can someone toss that collar in the trash!

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jan 12 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #17

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 12 2014, 01:03 PM) *
Who wants to sig bet that it looks and ends like Alvarez cotto all over again ...if he looks bad at the wrong time they'll hand it to red. The dog has to come in and take this fight to him from bell to bell. . Honestly they wanted this fight before the Kirkland loss. Hopefully hunter has the right gameplan and Pedro sees it as a do or die fight. .....oh and can someone toss that collar in the trash!

Ehhhh, I consider the Broner-Maidana II more of a sig bet esc. type of fight. Seems more 50/50 to me, but no doubt about it this is a interesting scrap as well... I'm might take u up on one, but not at the moment. I'm looking to see the Panthers knock off San Fran right now.

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Jan 12 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #18

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 12 2014, 01:12 PM) *
Ehhhh, I consider the Broner-Maidana II more of a sig bet esc. type of fight. Seems more 50/50 to me, but no doubt about it this is a interesting scrap as well... I'm might take u up on one, but not at the moment. I'm looking to see the Panthers knock off San Fran right now.

Wont argue they both are

Camtron is not going to look good. San Fran bout to go to work. Cam don't look to sure about himself right now Smith and ginn will be the gae changers if any

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jan 12 2014, 02:25 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 12 2014, 12:12 PM) *

Niners on the move at the moment lol

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 12 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #20

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 12 2014, 01:12 PM) *

(IMG:http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/cshel86/tumblr_lrl519y4E81qdres4_zpsf6a08cb4.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 10:45 PM