Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto vs Trout Dec. 1st
Cshel86
post Sep 4 2012, 08:03 AM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Im not sure how this went under the radar, but here we go. I've been hearing and reading around, and people are really griping about this one. Why? I have no idea. To me, it spells, "free fight on HBO". Lol. Anyhow, I like this move for Cotto, it's a "fuck you" move for Alvarez. Why?

It just further proves that Canelo probably wont be fighting an able-bodied 154 lbers any time soon. I say this every time, GBP slap this "sweepstakes" label on Canelo when they have some tomato cans lined up in front of him, but when a threat or formidable opponent is named, we have to hear, "Oh, we're bringing him along slowly".

I dont know about you all, but that's a slap to the face of the public, and they're trying to insult our intelligence. I understand the business move of making the fighter as much money as possible while fighting less threatening opposition, but dont moved him through the rank of corpses in route to a megafight, and lie to us. C'mon man.

Again, Canelo should've been fighting Trout, to see whose going to fight Cotto....this shouldn't have happened this way. What if Cotto beats Trout, then what? What is Canelo gonna do to get a Cotto fight, beat Trout? The guy that Miguel just beat? LMAO! STOP! This looks bad on Canelo and his team, because it looks like they were trying to keep him out of harm's way, but the big fish picked a guy that Canelo was SUPPOSED to be fighting, in order to land that big fight.

Seems that we will never know how good this kid really is. A smaller J. Cotto, an old Baldomir, an old Tyner, a small and unworthy M. Hatton, Rhodes...well, Ryan Rhodes...Im lost here, a shot Cintron, and an old "I need money" Mosley. Not a good streak buddy...and you want to fight Mayweather and Cotto?! STOP.

Again, good move for Miguel. It may not make him a ton of money, but it's definitely a "statement fight"...and the statement is, "Canelo is not ready for able-bodied Jr. Middleweights, so I'll fight all of them, and leave him begging for a fight with me". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slumpage
post Sep 4 2012, 08:14 AM
Post #2

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,226

Real talk, how the hell is Alvarez not fighting Trout? All the legit guys in his div and Lopez gets the bout?!

Cotto, doing what a champ (well former champ) does, take on the best available opposition. Plus he knows he needs a belt prior to entering any negotiations regarding Alvarez as a means to help remain parity on the purse. All makes sense, who's griping about this fight? Like, where's the rationale there? Only gripe is that its Cotto not Alvarez, but that's a knock on GBP/Canelo, not Cotto or Trout.

Good fight, boxing needs more of it imo...

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Sep 4 2012, 08:50 AM
Post #3

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I have to admit, I didn't "get" this one. Cotto resurrected his career against Margarito. Got a big payday and boosted hhis stock even in a loss against Mayweather. Now, when he's probably at the peak of his marketability, he chooses Trout? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Don't get me wrong. It has the potential to be a good fight. I just don't get how it makes much business sense. This is the one time I'd encourage a guy to cash out on a name, regardless of how good the guy is.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 4 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Sep 4 2012, 09:14 AM) *
Real talk, how the hell is Alvarez not fighting Trout? All the legit guys in his div and Lopez gets the bout?!

Cotto, doing what a champ (well former champ) does, take on the best available opposition. Plus he knows he needs a belt prior to entering any negotiations regarding Alvarez as a means to help remain parity on the purse. All makes sense, who's griping about this fight? Like, where's the rationale there? Only gripe is that its Cotto not Alvarez, but that's a knock on GBP/Canelo, not Cotto or Trout.

Exactly what I was thinking...why in the hell does Cotto have to step and fight Trout, when Canelo and the other guys in the division are supposed to be knocking each other silly, to get a shot at Cotto. For Miguel, this is one of those, "Let a real man take care of it, since the young cub cant".

This REALLY makes ALvarez look a bit shitty, and also validates the point that he is content with taking soft touches, and will try his best to weasel his way into a big fight. Something that I give Khan full credit for...taking on ALL comers, even though he was the money man in the division, and really didn't have to.

QUOTE (Franchize @ Sep 4 2012, 09:50 AM) *
I have to admit, I didn't "get" this one. Cotto resurrected his career against Margarito. Got a big payday and boosted hhis stock even in a loss against Mayweather. Now, when he's probably at the peak of his marketability, he chooses Trout? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Don't get me wrong. It has the potential to be a good fight. I just don't get how it makes much business sense. This is the one time I'd encourage a guy to cash out on a name, regardless of how good the guy is.

I agree to an extent. Sometimes, when you're in one of these situations where Canelo chose to "mildew" rather than BBQ, you have to take a bit of a hit and make a statement. Hopefully Miguel makes a decent statement in this fight. Hell, if he fights the same way he fought Floyd with all of that pressure, then its possible.

Trout isn't a bum, but dude just has those lull rounds during fights, more than he should be having. It makes perfect business sense, because Cotto is the bigger name in the division, and he's basically cornering Alvarez into fighting a harder fight before they cross paths.

Its similar to the way Chavez did Sergio...while Sergio was fighting foreign first-timers and crying about a belt, Julio was fighting some meaningful fights that Sergio could've fought (Manfredo, Rubio, and Lee). Hell, DiBella should've made Lee and Macklin fight an eliminator bout to see who was going to fight Sergio, then the winner of that fight could've been in line for Julio. It was done ALL backwards though.

Hopefully Miguel makes this fight worth it...he'd surely have his foot in Canelo's throat if that's the case. Imagine Miguel trying his hand at Lara or Kirkland after this. Dumb business decision in a way, but that's just more pressure and ridicule that Alvarez would have to endure. Hell, if he happens to land another Mayweather fight, then Canelo's worth would be nothing to speak of, especially if ends up on their undercard again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Sep 4 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

QUOTE (Franchize @ Sep 4 2012, 09:50 AM) *

Quick answer, Cotto wants to be and remain Champion.

Trout is formidable in every way and this fight makes perfect sense in every way. Its a test for both men and if Cotto can beat Trout (an undefeated champion) it makes a huge statement and I would say a strong foot hold against anyone.

This makes for a good fight folks and Im excited about it. I if Cotto is 100% he beats trout. On the flip side Trout has the tools to beat Cotto, plus he will be motivated.

Im not making excuses but it takes a high volume pressure fighter to beat Cotto..oh.. and Mayweather..lol. I just hope Cotto has put his loss behind him because we (the fans) did as soon as Mayweather was announced the winner.

Keep in mind Cotto's history..everytime he has loss he has followed it with a fight against a Champion... a belt holder.. BIG plus in my book for him by trying to keep his legacy and fight a dangerous undefeated guy that barely has a name..

Good looks

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 4 2012, 01:03 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 4 2012, 11:38 AM) *
Exactly what I was thinking...why in the hell does Cotto have to step and fight Trout, when Canelo and the other guys in the division are supposed to be knocking each other silly, to get a shot at Cotto. For Miguel, this is one of those, "Let a real man take care of it, since the young cub cant".

This REALLY makes ALvarez look a bit shitty, and also validates the point that he is content with taking soft touches, and will try his best to weasel his way into a big fight. Something that I give Khan full credit for...taking on ALL comers, even though he was the money man in the division, and really didn't have to.

I agree to an extent. Sometimes, when you're in one of these situations where Canelo chose to "mildew" rather than BBQ, you have to take a bit of a hit and make a statement. Hopefully Miguel makes a decent statement in this fight. Hell, if he fights the same way he fought Floyd with all of that pressure, then its possible.

Trout isn't a bum, but dude just has those lull rounds during fights, more than he should be having. It makes perfect business sense, because Cotto is the bigger name in the division, and he's basically cornering Alvarez into fighting a harder fight before they cross paths.

Its similar to the way Chavez did Sergio...while Sergio was fighting foreign first-timers and crying about a belt, Julio was fighting some meaningful fights that Sergio could've fought (Manfredo, Rubio, and Lee). Hell, DiBella should've made Lee and Macklin fight an eliminator bout to see who was going to fight Sergio, then the winner of that fight could've been in line for Julio. It was done ALL backwards though.

Hopefully Miguel makes this fight worth it...he'd surely have his foot in Canelo's throat if that's the case. Imagine Miguel trying his hand at Lara or Kirkland after this. Dumb business decision in a way, but that's just more pressure and ridicule that Alvarez would have to endure. Hell, if he happens to land another Mayweather fight, then Canelo's worth would be nothing to speak of, especially if ends up on their undercard again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I couldn't keep reading after I heard "meaningful fights" and Manfredo in the same sentence lol

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 4 2012, 01:41 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 4 2012, 02:03 PM) *
I couldn't keep reading after I heard "meaningful fights" and Manfredo in the same sentence lol

Lol, shut up. They were meaningful to Chavez, in the sense of them being somewhat of a test for his skills that people doubted...or doubt to this day. Those aren't bad names compared to:
1. Dzinziruk - an undefeated foreign fighter with no known opponents, and had just moved up to MW
2. Barker - first fight in the U.S., no meaningful fights, and he really failed to impress against Sergio (except a few moments in the fight)
3. Macklin - only claim to fame was being robbed against Sturm (which I believe Macklin really won that fight by a couple of rounds).

While Chavez on the other hand, fought:
1. Manfredo - former contender star who had shared the ring with Gomez, Mora (twice), Lacy, Bika, Calzaghe, and Chavez Jr.
2. Rubio - former title contender against Pavlik, and had just scored a comeback KO before the Chavez fight
3. Lee - who is a formidable opponent in the MW division.

Im just saying that Sergio could've gotten some type of credit for more than likely KO'ing the same guys that Julio fought and got "fighter points" for. The same goes Canelo, had he stepped his game up a bit. I understand the business side of what GBP is doing with him, but enough is enough already. If an older figher who's been in many wars (Cotto), is willing to 1-up you and fight guys that you're supposed to sharing the ring with...that says A LOT...and none of its good.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 4 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

props to cotto for doing the choosing and taking on a young undefeated champion.

i've only seen trout fight once...and while i thought he had skill...i wasn't really impressed. his defense is tight....it's his offense that's lacking. he may shine with a guy like cotto coming at him. i don't believe he has mayweather like skills....but he is slick. not sure he's slick enough to beat cotto. one thing i do know...i'll be watching. cotto has paid his dues and didn't have to take this fight. like someone else mentioned....he could have chosen an easy name...but he wants to prove his greatness. good for us.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 4 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 4 2012, 02:41 PM) *
Lol, shut up. They were meaningful to Chavez, in the sense of them being somewhat of a test for his skills that people doubted...or doubt to this day. Those aren't bad names compared to:
1. Dzinziruk - an undefeated foreign fighter with no known opponents, and had just moved up to MW
2. Barker - first fight in the U.S., no meaningful fights, and he really failed to impress against Sergio (except a few moments in the fight)
3. Macklin - only claim to fame was being robbed against Sturm (which I believe Macklin really won that fight by a couple of rounds).

While Chavez on the other hand, fought:
1. Manfredo - former contender star who had shared the ring with Gomez, Mora (twice), Lacy, Bika, Calzaghe, and Chavez Jr.
2. Rubio - former title contender against Pavlik, and had just scored a comeback KO before the Chavez fight
3. Lee - who is a formidable opponent in the MW division.

Im just saying that Sergio could've gotten some type of credit for more than likely KO'ing the same guys that Julio fought and got "fighter points" for. The same goes Canelo, had he stepped his game up a bit. I understand the business side of what GBP is doing with him, but enough is enough already. If an older figher who's been in many wars (Cotto), is willing to 1-up you and fight guys that you're supposed to sharing the ring with...that says A LOT...and none of its good.

Honestly I think zbik was more meaningful.. I mean peter is good but he came off a years layoff and no boxing he was working laying out ice on an ice rink.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 4 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 4 2012, 05:03 PM) *
Honestly I think zbik was more meaningful.. I mean peter is good but he came off a years layoff and no boxing he was working laying out ice on an ice rink.

i don't know man....the karate kid was painting fences and waxing cars before he entered that all valley tournament. there may have been something to laying out that ice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 07:22 AM