IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floyd Mayweather vs Adonis Stevenson, Who's leading the Fighter Of The Year candidate
Gambit808
post Oct 20 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

It's a bit early to consider, but as of right now, I have these 2 as my leading candidates for FOTY. In One corner is Floyd Mayweather defeating a pair of top guys in separate Division (Robert Guerrero & Saul Alverez), and then there's Adonis Stevenson, whom not only is on a 9 fight KO/W streak, but started the year avenging his only loss via KO of Darnell Boone, then Chad Dawson and Tavoris Cloud, now to end the year off he will fight Tony Bellew. Like I said it's still early since that fight is next month but if he is to continue the KO/W streak against Bellew, would u say that's enough to be considered 2013's FOTY over Floyd?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 20 2013, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Ive got Bradley ahead of the two.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Oct 20 2013, 10:58 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 20 2013, 11:21 PM) *
Ive got Bradley ahead of the two.

U think Bradley's performances against Ruslan and Marquez is more credible than both Floyd & Adonis's accomplishments this year? Let's agree to disagree here.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Oct 20 2013, 10:58 PM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

Floyd is still ahead of Bradley based on his wins over 2 major competitors who are held in higher esteem than Prov was at the time, Adonis' wins were significant but it isn't as though Dawson hadn't already been beaten before nor was it something special beating Cloud after he been whupped by a 48 year old man. The JMM win is what moves Bradley high up though and now that Provo is a champ it carries a little more weight but not as much at the time he won it.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 20 2013, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Oct 20 2013, 11:58 PM) *
U think Bradley's performances against Ruslan and Marquez is more credible than both Floyd & Adonis's accomplishments this year? Let's agree to disagree here.

Bradley fought a ko artist and a future hall of famer. I even have adonis ahead of Floyd if he wins his next fight. Tho I love seeing Floyd put on a clinic I didn't like either of his opponents. Robert talked his way into the fight and canelo had other people talk him into it, both were undeserving and had fought absolutely no one. Yea floyds age and inactivity made it interesting but come on

But like you said let's agree to disagree

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Oct 20 2013, 11:40 PM
Post #6

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

I think its between Floyd and Bradley.

Bradley beat Provo who is now the jr.welter champ. He beat a Hall of famer who was coming off the biggest win of his career and a KO that will go down as thee KO of modern times.

Floyd beat his mandatory to his belt who was a top 5 welter at the time. He beat the jr. Middle champ who at the time was the #1 fighter in that division.

Honorable mentions: D.Garcia, Stevenson

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Oct 21 2013, 04:56 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Mayweather: Beats a kid that clearly had no real place in that ring with Floyd aside from popularity.

Stevenson: KOs Dawson, Dawson will never be the same again after that weight drain IMO, but it wasn't Stevenson's fault.

Bradley: Was flopping around the ring like an idiot vs Prod, I don't care if he chose to fight like that instead of boxed to prove a point, I see that as mental weakness. But yes the JMM win was impressive, especially according to this new found power Marquez has at WW.

Garcia: All am saying is undisputed jr welterweight champion of the world.

I like Garcia for this.

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Oct 21 2013, 07:48 AM
Post #8

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

^Me too.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 21 2013, 07:56 AM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I think it's between Floyd and Garcia. Floyd certainly beat the highest regarded fighter. People can front if they want but before Floyd schooled him, Canelo was supposed to be "the next big thing"... and still could be. Not to mention, Floyd fought him closer to his natural weight than Floyd's. Both of his victories this year were clear, dominant and decisive.

That being said Danny's accomplishment was huge because he was actually the underdog and had arguably his best performance vs a guy people assumed would tear his head off. I wouldn't make a fuss about either guy.

Stevenson isn't a terrible choice but the fact that the Dawson fight only went one round, we can't real;y determine if Dawson is a "done" fighter or still an impressive win. Cloud was always overhyped to me. I always regarded him as the most overrated fighter in boxing but it was HOW Adonis beat him that impressed me. He boxed Cloud's face off. I was impressed. I didn't know he had that in him to that degree.

I can't go Bradley because, while he has solid wins on paper, he didn't look impressive in his victories to me. Let's be honest, Provodnikov made a name for himself at Bradley's expense. Ruslan was only a good win to have on your resume' AFTER Bradley.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 21 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

(IMG:http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/cshel86/DSG_zps106c5f0e.jpg)

Team Swift all day baby!!!

To answer your question though, I'd edge a bit more towards Floyd. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, typical answer...here's why though. Both guys that Stevenson fought this year, were coming off of losses. Chad got embarrassed by Ward, and Cloud had just got outgunned by Hopkins a few short months ago.

As for Floyd, the fact that he fought twice in a calender year, is gonna raise some antennas anyway. He fought Guerrero, who had just beaten the "Mayweather prerequisite" (read: Andre Berto) and Canelo, who made Trout look like doo-doo (read: finished helping Trout make himself look like doo doo).

I'd definitely keep my eye on Stevenson next year though, since he did one-shot KO a guy, and arrogantly boxed the hell outta Cloud...showing that he can KO guys and box, pretty much at will. I'd be looking for them to match him against Ward, Hopkins, or Kovalev (sp) next year, which will give him some even more significant credentials.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 01:48 PM