> Nonito jumps ship to GBP
STEVENSKI
post Mar 17 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #21

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 17 2011, 03:29 PM) *
Given the chance Golden Boy will prove themselves to be bigger snakes than either Arum or King. Given their reasonably short history they've already indulged in some shady stuff like skimming the undercard fighters on the Khan/Malignaggi bill.

As for putting on good fights, these are the guys that deemed Mosley/Mora PPV worthy. That's gotta be the worst of the lot and were then prepared to fuck one of their own partners (Mosley) in his attempt to get a Pacquaio fight.

Just watch, they will fuck up Donaire's career just like they'll screw up Alvarez's. People are rejoicing now, and I understand why, Arum has gone out of his way to irritate hardcore fans for the last coupla years, but trust me long term this will not be a good move fo Donaire.

I really like Donaire, he is a class act and a monster in the ring and I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure this move is for the best.

Agreed. I could rerally care less about him moving over. Actually I hope he gets massively screwed over by GBP.

I view GBP like cigarettes

Back in the day they were considered good for you & all that. Now we know they are poison just like we will see GBP as the poison they are in years to come.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Mar 17 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #22

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 17 2011, 03:04 PM) *
Yep Kelly Pavlik rings a bell alright. How Arum was ale to squeeze those many big money fights out of a guy who was frankly an average talent (and as we now know an alcoholic as well) was pretty damn impressive.

Nice going Bob, LOL.

Look I think Donaire is a respectable guy as well. I like him a lot. I hope this move is successful for him. And yes all promotors are pretty much snakes in the grass. I'm just not sure he's jumped to the best snake. I think I'd go to Lou Dibella over these guys.

Yes they will have an immediate decent fight waiting for him, but what then? Golden Boy seems to run out of ideas pretty quick and they lack the creativity of the old school guys.

I hope Donaire at least got a whopping sign-on bonuss. Maybe Oscar still has that old duffel bag lying around he once tried to give Manny, haha.

i'd say putting the nail in the coffin of Pavlik by putting him against Hopkins was a pretty big fuck up. no promoter gets it right all the time. passing on DLH/Mayweather wasn't too smart either.

it's kind of ridiculous thinking that signing with GBP is about to ruin Donaire's career, it's the same shit under a different banner.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 17 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #23

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 17 2011, 09:06 PM) *
i'd say putting the nail in the coffin of Pavlik by putting him against Hopkins was a pretty big fuck up. no promoter gets it right all the time. passing on DLH/Mayweather wasn't too smart either.

it's kind of ridiculous thinking that signing with GBP is about to ruin Donaire's career, it's the same shit under a different banner.

Correct but GBP don't seem to show any ability to get it right any of the time. When have they built a guy from scratch?

Donaire is not a cross over name yet, and Golden Boy are yet to show any evidence that they know how to get a guy there. If they don't get a star fighter 'fully formed' as it were they struggle. They don't seem to know how to build a guy up.

Say what you want about the likes of Arum and King but they know how to build stars. I don't see anything ridiculous in that at all.

+Quote Post
mexi-cutioner
post Mar 18 2011, 07:41 AM
Post #24

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,263

People forget that Golden Boy hasn't been around for that long, they've been around for barely under a decade and even though they haven't developed a brand new talent from scratch, they've recruited A LOT of big names, many of whom continue to stay with the brand.

Honestly, it's about looking at what Donaire has done with Arum to understand why the move was made. Nonito was promised a 3 fight/year contract and in 2008 he had one defence, 2 fights in 2009 and 2010 was the first year Arum lived up to the contractual promises. Also, look at the quality of opponents Arum has been putting him in with: for example, last february he fought at 115 against Manuel Vargas, a dude who fought his 5 previous fights at STRAWWEIGHT. Then he fought Hernan Marquez in his next fight, a dude coming off a loss to a mediocre filipino prospect on the Pac-Clottey card. He's fought alot of guys below his level and it can't be any worse than what GBP will be offering him.

Thing with Golden Boy is GBP racks up probably the most boxing televised coverage in America compared to all the other promotional companies. HBO, HBO Latino, Showtime, Telefutura, and ESPN all air GBP shows on the regular and there's a certainty that Donaire will be getting fights on HBO and Showtime on the regular, something i felt GBP could've guaranteed before isntead of Arum putting him on these shitty ass Pinoy Power and Latin Fury TopRank-PPV cards--how the fuck is a young prospect going to gain exposure on these cards that probably only rack up 60-80K buys on a good day???

This post has been edited by mexi-cutioner: Mar 18 2011, 07:45 AM

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 18 2011, 08:01 AM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Mar 18 2011, 07:41 AM) *
People forget that Golden Boy hasn't been around for that long, they've been around for barely under a decade and even though they haven't developed a brand new talent from scratch, they've recruited A LOT of big names, many of whom continue to stay with the brand.

Honestly, it's about looking at what Donaire has done with Arum to understand why the move was made. Nonito was promised a 3 fight/year contract and in 2008 he had one defence, 2 fights in 2009 and 2010 was the first year Arum lived up to the contractual promises. Also, look at the quality of opponents Arum has been putting him in with: for example, last february he fought at 115 against Manuel Vargas, a dude who fought his 5 previous fights at STRAWWEIGHT. Then he fought Hernan Marquez in his next fight, a dude coming off a loss to a mediocre filipino prospect on the Pac-Clottey card. He's fought alot of guys below his level and it can't be any worse than what GBP will be offering him.

Thing with Golden Boy is GBP racks up probably the most boxing televised coverage in America compared to all the other promotional companies. HBO, HBO Latino, Showtime, Telefutura, and ESPN all air GBP shows on the regular and there's a certainty that Donaire will be getting fights on HBO and Showtime on the regular, something i felt GBP could've guaranteed before isntead of Arum putting him on these shitty ass Pinoy Power and Latin Fury TopRank-PPV cards--how the fuck is a young prospect going to gain exposure on these cards that probably only rack up 60-80K buys on a good day???

If Mayweather isn't fighting under the Golden Boy banner whom do you think in the GBP stable is likely to notch up 250k PPV figures?

As to continuing to fight under their brand, wasn't Barerra supposed to be a partner? What about Mosley? Hopkins was 10 seconds away from jumping ship at one point and you can bet JMM will be counting the days until he is a free agent.

The only reason Golden Shower have such regular dates with HBO is due to Oscar's relationship with them. GBP has coasted on the basis of this relationship since its inception and really hasn't done sweet FA to shake up the promotional landscape.

Even 24/7 was Floyd's idea!!

And outside of PBF fights this cosy relationship hasn't done much for HBO. They've backed the wrong horse and I think opened up a gap for Showtime, lets see if they can make something of it.

Golden Boy=Lame.

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Mar 18 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 17 2011, 09:42 AM) *
The idea of legitimately free markets is largely a myth. However, boxing is an example of a relatively free market at work. Team Donaire has made a significant business decision. Many future business decisions in boxing will be effected by Nonito's decision and how it plays out. If boxing was ruled by a monopoly, Donaire would not have the option of defying Top rank. Top Rank would control all of the fighters. Top Rank would have less motivation to treat the fighters fairly. The elite fighters would be paid far less. The product would become staged theatrical events.

Boxers (and fans) all over the world should be thanking Donaire for striking a blow for the working man.

Now look outside of boxing, to the NFL for example, or maybe to the events in Wisconsin. There is a concerted effort by the financial elite to relegate those who actually produce products to serfs, whether through governmental domination or monopoly. In case you are unfamiliar with the term, serfs formed the bottom tier of fiefdoms during the feudal period. All power and wealth was held by the noble, his family and chosen associates. The serfs performed the labor in exchange for protection and whatever food and shelter the noble deigned them worthy of.

No middle class existed. Little opportunity was afforded.

Who has faced the consequences of the collapse of the economy brought on by the money changers? Certainly not those who spend their days in front of their computers handing money back and forth digitally, creating nothing. the men and women who produce real products and services have faced the consequences.

"We fucked you, now we are going to fix the problem by fucking worse, repeatedly."

You need look no farther than Russia and many of the former Soviet puppets to find the result of Neofeudalism; a largely hopeless populace ridiculed and despised by a tiny nobility, yet without the energy or capacity to fight. The best they can muster is blame for leaders that failed to be strong and ruthless enough.

That is what happens when you are subjugated for a thousand years.

Thank you Nonito Donaire. You represent Oakland, the Bay Area, and the working man well.

Well said. I agree 100%.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Mar 18 2011, 09:30 AM
Post #27

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 18 2011, 09:01 AM) *
If Mayweather isn't fighting under the Golden Boy banner whom do you think in the GBP stable is likely to notch up 250k PPV figures?

As to continuing to fight under their brand, wasn't Barerra supposed to be a partner? What about Mosley? Hopkins was 10 seconds away from jumping ship at one point and you can bet JMM will be counting the days until he is a free agent.

The only reason Golden Shower have such regular dates with HBO is due to Oscar's relationship with them. GBP has coasted on the basis of this relationship since its inception and really hasn't done sweet FA to shake up the promotional landscape.

And outside of PBF fights this cosy relationship hasn't done much for HBO. They've backed the wrong horse and I think opened up a gap for Showtime, lets see if they can make something of it.

Golden Boy=Lame.

Exactly. Plus it seems as if they are about to throw Victor Ortiz in with the wolves against Berto.

+Quote Post
mexi-cutioner
post Mar 18 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #28

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,263

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 18 2011, 05:01 AM) *

Golden Boy=Lame.

At this point in Nonito's career, he's not even ready for an HBO PPV header YET. The dude's garnered enough popularity among the filipino's in America, putting him on some HBO BAD or world Championship shows would make people more familiar with him, that's something Arum wasn't doing. Nonito was fighting goofs on Top Rank PPV shows now c'mon man, how is taht going to help a fighter in his prime develop a fan base? these top rank ppv's arum puts on are dogshit most of the time too JCC Jr. heading the card against a tomato can fuck.

Barrera, Mosley, Hopkins and JMM are all at the ends of their career. And GBP is still managing to put Hopkins in thse big shows fighting Pavlik, Calzaghe, Pascal and the Pascal rematch. What can you argue against GBP bringing up Mosley? He fought Cotto and Margarito, two of the top weltwerweights in the world when they fought; an opportunity against Berto which was scrapped, then he got put in with Mayweather. Even when Mosley was tuning up, they gave him the opportunity to fight Mayorga who sells a fight like no other and the fight was fought in Mosley's backyard so it sold well. Look at who JMM fought as well, it wasn't until the last few years that JMM turned out to be one of the top p4p fighters in the world and all of that time was spent fighting under GBP.

The only reason these dudes jump ship is cus they want a Pacquiao fight. Period. They're at the twilight of their career and want a big pay day to end it.

At this point, Arum is trying to feed Nonito to teh wolves imo. Nonito clearly wants to stay at 118, and Arum is already talking about Nonito moving up to 122-126 which I don't think he's ready for. What's Nonito gonna do next? fight Vazquez jr. and if he wins move him up and pit him against Gamboa? Please, Nonito isn't ready to fight Gamboa at 126. Top Rank was clearly doing all teh wrong things with Nonito and after 3 years of being mistreated, he has every right to jump ship

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Mar 18 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #29

Guests

Nice post mexi.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 18 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #30

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Mar 18 2011, 04:29 PM) *
At this point in Nonito's career, he's not even ready for an HBO PPV header YET. The dude's garnered enough popularity among the filipino's in America, putting him on some HBO BAD or world Championship shows would make people more familiar with him, that's something Arum wasn't doing. Nonito was fighting goofs on Top Rank PPV shows now c'mon man, how is taht going to help a fighter in his prime develop a fan base? these top rank ppv's arum puts on are dogshit most of the time too JCC Jr. heading the card against a tomato can fuck.

Barrera, Mosley, Hopkins and JMM are all at the ends of their career. And GBP is still managing to put Hopkins in thse big shows fighting Pavlik, Calzaghe, Pascal and the Pascal rematch. What can you argue against GBP bringing up Mosley? He fought Cotto and Margarito, two of the top weltwerweights in the world when they fought; an opportunity against Berto which was scrapped, then he got put in with Mayweather. Even when Mosley was tuning up, they gave him the opportunity to fight Mayorga who sells a fight like no other and the fight was fought in Mosley's backyard so it sold well. Look at who JMM fought as well, it wasn't until the last few years that JMM turned out to be one of the top p4p fighters in the world and all of that time was spent fighting under GBP.

The only reason these dudes jump ship is cus they want a Pacquiao fight. Period. They're at the twilight of their career and want a big pay day to end it.

At this point, Arum is trying to feed Nonito to teh wolves imo. Nonito clearly wants to stay at 118, and Arum is already talking about Nonito moving up to 122-126 which I don't think he's ready for. What's Nonito gonna do next? fight Vazquez jr. and if he wins move him up and pit him against Gamboa? Please, Nonito isn't ready to fight Gamboa at 126. Top Rank was clearly doing all teh wrong things with Nonito and after 3 years of being mistreated, he has every right to jump ship

"Barrera, Mosley, Hopkins and JMM are all at the ends of their career"

You've kinda answered your own argument about Golden Boy. All those fighters were pretty much stars before they joined GBP.

As for Hopkins' fights. He has been kept on ice for long periods of time and you know how unhappy he was about it. In fact he has many times proclaimed himself to be a free agent

Mosley after destroying Margarito and becoming the hottest WW in the world for a quick minute was left to do what? Nothing but sit back and cool his heels. Shrewd move guys.

The only reason JMM became big was his rivarly with Pacquaio. In fact that's also the only reason he got a fight with Floyd, so Floyd could have bragging rights over Manny. It sure as fuck wasn't anything Golden Boy did.

Try re-reading my posts. I haven't said that Arum was doing a goood job with Donaire, and certainly I think Donaire was right to look at his options, I'm just not sure that jumping to GBP is the best move. I'll stand by that. So far those clowns have done nothing to convince me they know how to handle a guys career in the long term.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 03:43 AM