Cshel86
post Sep 26 2011, 07:37 AM
Post #21

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 26 2011, 01:15 AM) *
24/7

Absolutely! This is one of the most promising ways for Floyd to attract viewers/potential buyers. He doesn't have that "one-punch KO" appeal that Tyson had, or that "superstar appeal and fan base" like Oscar, so he uses 24/7 as a vehicle to build his fan base.

QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Sep 26 2011, 02:59 AM) *
Say what you want about Floyd, but he's made himself into the money generating machine he is today, credit to him in that respect.

I must admit, in the run up to May-Ortiz it felt like 'must see TV' for a boxing fan. And since Ortiz was a relative nobody coming in, that was all down to Mayweather.

Black

It was obviously "must see TV" for quite a few people, because people would come to me talking about it. They could barely remember Floyd's name at times, as well as Ortiz's, but they got what they wanted out of the show. They got see Floyd be Floyd, a bunch of money, some controversy, and of course, Ms. Jackson (I was breathless when I saw her at the end of the replay, smh). I was also somewhat surprised at how many casual fans were having fight parties and going to bars to watch the fight.

QUOTE (TheFonz @ Sep 26 2011, 08:22 AM) *
There are A LOT of people that are mad that they wasted there money on that PPV.

Gotta blame that on "Razor-Head" for that stunt he pulled in the 4th round, which led to controversial ending. You see why they say that some fighters aren't ready for the big stage?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HazConvictedFelo...
post Sep 26 2011, 09:05 AM
Post #22

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,413

Nice. What else can I say.

+Quote Post
TheFonz
post Sep 26 2011, 09:18 AM
Post #23

Team BU fun boy that gets passed around...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,999

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 26 2011, 08:37 AM) *
Gotta blame that on "Razor-Head" for that stunt he pulled in the 4th round, which led to controversial ending. You see why they say that some fighters aren't ready for the big stage?

Be that as it may, it doesn't change the fact that people are pissed and Floyd's name is attached to it. I bet the casual fans whom are responsible for that number blame Floyd just as much as Vic.

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Sep 26 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #24

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

Truly sensational marketing genius from Floyd. They say he is the one that created 24/7 and even if other fighters do 24/7 without him he still gets paid. This man is a genius in the squared circle and as a businessman outside of it, truly remarkable. I wished Pacman would get another promoter or start his promotional stable because Arum is short changing him, just like he did Floyd when he was with Arum back in the early 2000's. I think the whole fight card was great and I was satisfied as a boxing fan it's just for some people nothing will ever satisfy them when it comes to Mayweather.

I do agree that JMM-Pacquiao will do more than Mayweather vs Ortiz, they did a world tour to hype it and they are doing 24/7 also. JMM is more popular than Ortiz obviously and their fights are well documented, boxing classics and renown. I see their fight selling 1.4 million ppv buys but then again after that Mosley fight people felt hoodwinked, so we'll see.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 26 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #25

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (TheFonz @ Sep 26 2011, 10:18 AM) *
Be that as it may, it doesn't change the fact that people are pissed and Floyd's name is attached to it. I bet the casual fans whom are responsible for that number blame Floyd just as much as Vic.

Whats new? People are still pissed at Floyd about a lot of other things, if anything, its helping him. No matter how much of an asshole he comes off as, he still makes sure the attention is on him at all times. 1.3M people obviously didn't care, and Im sure that all past grudges will be long forgot about, if a Pacquiao fight is announced in the next few months.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Sep 26 2011, 09:40 AM
Post #26

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Sep 26 2011, 09:21 AM) *
Truly sensational marketing genius from Floyd. They say he is the one that created 24/7 and even if other fighters do 24/7 without him he still gets paid. This man is a genius in the squared circle and as a businessman outside of it, truly remarkable. I wished Pacman would get another promoter or start his promotional stable because Arum is short changing him, just like he did Floyd when he was with Arum back in the early 2000's. I think the whole fight card was great and I was satisfied as a boxing fan it's just for some people nothing will ever satisfy them when it comes to Mayweather.

I do agree that JMM-Pacquiao will do more than Mayweather vs Ortiz, they did a world tour to hype it and they are doing 24/7 also. JMM is more popular than Ortiz obviously and their fights are well documented, boxing classics and renown. I see their fight selling 1.4 million ppv buys but then again after that Mosley fight people felt hoodwinked, so we'll see.

Agreed. Marquez is beloved by his fans and most Mexicans. He is a class act, no doubt about it. I do not think that weight is good for him but we shall see. I think Pacquiao will be looked at little closely because of the steroids talk. If he struggles against JMM people might say he must not be juicing or why is his performance different. If he dominates JMM people will say, he has to be on something. What ever happens after their fight is the most important thing for boxing fans. The moment that fight is over people will be glued to the tv the next day to see if negotiations are starting for May and Pac fight. Which is why I think this fight may generate more attention. But for May to score a high PPV with someone that is not a house hold name, that's pretty amazing. Let's hope he is in the ring early next year... If Pac fights Tim Bradley next, I am done with the May and Pac fight. Arum has a way of signing fights for Pac before he is done fighting his current opponent

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Sep 26 2011, 09:46 AM
Post #27

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 26 2011, 09:38 AM) *
Whats new? People are still pissed at Floyd about a lot of other things, if anything, its helping him. No matter how much of an asshole he comes off as, he still makes sure the attention is on him at all times. 1.3M people obviously didn't care, and Im sure that all past grudges will be long forgot about, if a Pacquiao fight is announced in the next few months.

Funny that you mention this, when was at the Eagles and Falcons game last Sunday, I was talking to these guys and they mentioned the fight they asked me my thoughts about it, I told them protect yourself at all times and if you are going to fight dirty be prepared to fight dirty. Matter of fact a guy at the tail gate party (between him constantly mentioning he was an ex Fed police, even showed me his bage), kept saying Ortiz deserved it. If you listen to that uptight "sports" journalist Skip Bayless you would think he committed capital punishment. I can tell you skip isn't a boxing fan, because he likes Pacquiao and Pacquiao he has deemed himself a boxing expert in the words of Roger Mayweather "You don't know shit about boxing"

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 26 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #28

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Sep 26 2011, 10:46 AM) *
Funny that you mention this, when was at the Eagles and Falcons game last Sunday, I was talking to these guys and they mentioned the fight they asked me my thoughts about it, I told them protect yourself at all times and if you are going to fight dirty be prepared to fight dirty. Matter of fact a guy at the tail gate party (between him constantly mentioning he was an ex Fed police, even showed me his bage), kept saying Ortiz deserved it. If you listen to that uptight "sports" journalist Skip Bayless you would think he committed capital punishment. I can tell you skip isn't a boxing fan, because he likes Pacquiao and Pacquiao he has deemed himself a boxing expert in the words of Roger Mayweather "You don't know shit about boxing"

As long as people are still talking about the fight, then they are sure to purchase his next fight, simple as that. Thats how boxing goes, its a business and anything can happen. Usually, "anything" happens first, then the business (money) follows. So Floyd is looking at a possible $40M for 12 mins of actual fight time (minus the 60 sec breaks between rounds). So he found his opportunity to cash in after Razor-Head screwed himself..."anything" happens first, then comes the payday.

Im sure May and Pac will sell at least 3M PPVs...breaking Floyd and Oscar's record in 2007. I actually like Skip Bayless, for some odd reason, regardless of his thoughts on anything. He doesn't have to know much about the subject, but as long as he gives his resentful opinions about it, thats what makes the show. Lol

+Quote Post
Seek
post Sep 26 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #29

An inbred jackass...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,971

The only reason people are upset with Floyd is because Ortiz quit again. Had Ortiz put his hands up or at least got up on his two feet like Gatti and Mosley did, the people would have been estatic and applauded Floyd for getting payback after that unforgiving headbutt. Ortiz acts like he was knocked out cold and says that in his mind he didn't lose. Yeah you said the same thing after you got beat up by Maidana. Nobody's buying it!

+Quote Post
Method
post Sep 26 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #30

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

Hype - to your knowledge, does Vic Ortiz get ANY of the ppv money? Or is he just getting $2.5 come hook or crook?

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 12:36 PM