> Wait What?, Boxing's Head Scratches
BrutUalBK
post Feb 1 2014, 12:35 PM
Post #21

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 30 2014, 08:52 AM) *
We're barely into 2014 and a few things have confused me already so far. Far be it for me to act like I'm Mr. Knowitall, so instead, I ask you, guys whose opinion I respect, to either explain why I'm missing the point on a few of the head scratchers or agree that they are ridiculous.

#1 Tim Bradley signing an extension with Top Prank after seemingly being bullied- Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it seem like Tim foresaw what Bob was trying to do. Didn't it seem like Tim was saying to himself "I see I'm not going to get the respect and promotion I deserve. Let me just fight out my contract and move on"? Then comes the negotiations, and from all reports, it appeared as if Bob Arum tried his customary extension or sit on the shelf tactic with Tim for this Manny fight. It seemed as if Tim's team was well aware of it....then he signs an extension.

WAIT WHAT?

#2 I kind of already know the answer to this, but Manny Pacquiao once again called out Floyd (kinda sorta). Problem is he did so, and as he's done in the past, conveniently signs a contract for a fight like a week after. Is promotion for every Manny fight now going to include a half hearted call out of Floyd? The one thing I never agreed on with Floyd was that Manny's popularity and fan base comes from him. I thought Manny had created his own buzz. Have we gotten to the point where Manny needs Floyd to sell fights? Furthermore, he said he'd "fight for charity"...yet he fought in China just to avoid US tax deductions AND he is heavily rumored to have multiple tax issues. But we should believe you're going to fight for free?

WAIT WHAT?

#3 Robert Guerrero aggressively seeks an out with Golden Boy, supposedly to fight Manny next. Well obviously that's not happening and from all reports on Top Rank and Manny's camp, he wasn't even a consideration. Isn't that like turning down some good pussy for a chick that won't even give you her number? So you've now pissed off the most red hot promoters in the sport and seem to be getting the cold shoulder from TR. Bet you wish you didn't turn your nose up to Keith Thurman so quickly now. I think Thurman will actually be the bigger draw now at this point.

WAIT WHAT?

#4 Danny Garcia fighting Mauricio Herrera. I'm not saying this guy isn't good. I don't know much about him. I heard he's the real deal. But why?.... His career is on a serious wave right now. He beat one of the "big bad wolves" of the sport in an impressive fashion. He was a clear cut FOY candidate IMO. Why fight this high risk/low reward fight now?

WAIT WHAT?

(IMG:http://forum.highflow.nl/attachments/f22/4354d1330424079t-google-offers-1-million-reward-hackers-who-exploit-chrome-wait-what.jpg)

Man, you killing us with the truth here and I'm feeling it especially on that swindle move by Bobfather. As far as Bradley is concerned; I think he should've at least shopped at GBP to see if they'd offer him the Floyd fight right upfront for at least 8 mil or more (hell, Cotto got 8 so why not Brad) but I guess even if he did get that bout that he wouldn't have wanted to started out being a sacrificial lamb for GBP by taking Money in his first bout. Gotta hand it to Danny G, dude has got some huge balls, first Lucas M and now Herrera and for the peanuts he'd get for facing a guy like Floyd. Manny is the biggest Ducker in the history of the sport but of course we know everyone will blame Mayweather for Pacquiao deciding to stick it out with Top Rape.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 1 2014, 01:27 PM
Post #22

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 30 2014, 05:55 PM) *
You was joking right lmao...what up and comers?

Hard to see how someone with such small fanbase and not really appealing to the casual is going to be built up to be compared to Mayweather, he will keep winning imo, but he will be an invisible soon. Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman, Shawn Porter if he keeps maturing, hell even Broner could lap him in a few years time. He can say what he wants but the best fight across the street, he beat 1 HOF technically, and has a chance to beat another legit this time. But what's in his future. You telling me fights with Rios/Alvarado...maybe rematches against JMM and Ruslan move you? Or how about Karim Mayfield and Jessie Vargas? He tucked nicely in a shit sandwich no matter how he or you or anyone slices it. You compete to be the best and to fight against the best...he ain't doing that

Chi, if Bradley loses to Pac in April he instantly become irrelevant which means his contract is basically worthless. No one is going to pay a dime to see Bradley. no one. I like the guy but my little money is not going to justify the money he is suppose to be getting. Bradley's only claim to fan is "beating" Pac. If Manny wins then it is off to the world of obsolete.

If Pac wins then another six months of Mayweather is ducking Pac, which is why I hope Bradley wins. If Arum is smart he can kill two birds with one stone, Pac wins it is "Pac is back, Mayweather doesn't want any, Mayweather is a coward, Mayweather hates Asians... blah blah" as for Bradley, that will be a thorn in his side that he no longer has to deal with.

Guerrero if he is smart and I doubt he is, will take any fight he can get. The Victor Ortiz fight is something he will be interested after he saw Ortiz get cracked. This is a match up I think GB will be willing to make. If Victor loses then they can drop his ass and not worry about him and if Guerrero loses then they can ice him for the rest of the year. So it is a win win for both terms.

Danny Boy better not mess up with this Herrera cat if he wants to keep making money and to keep his name shinning bright. I would love to see him against Lamont very soon. It should be a great fight either way.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 1 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #23

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 1 2014, 12:27 PM) *
Chi, if Bradley loses to Pac in April he instantly become irrelevant which means his contract is basically worthless. No one is going to pay a dime to see Bradley. no one. I like the guy but my little money is not going to justify the money he is suppose to be getting. Bradley's only claim to fan is "beating" Pac. If Manny wins then it is off to the world of obsolete.

If Pac wins then another six months of Mayweather is ducking Pac, which is why I hope Bradley wins. If Arum is smart he can kill two birds with one stone, Pac wins it is "Pac is back, Mayweather doesn't want any, Mayweather is a coward, Mayweather hates Asians... blah blah" as for Bradley, that will be a thorn in his side that he no longer has to deal with.

Guerrero if he is smart and I doubt he is, will take any fight he can get. The Victor Ortiz fight is something he will be interested after he saw Ortiz get cracked. This is a match up I think GB will be willing to make. If Victor loses then they can drop his ass and not worry about him and if Guerrero loses then they can ice him for the rest of the year. So it is a win win for both terms.

Danny Boy better not mess up with this Herrera cat if he wants to keep making money and to keep his name shinning bright. I would love to see him against Lamont very soon. It should be a great fight either way.

Hopefully Garcia gets up for this one and doesn't have a lapse in concentration. But I do think it's smart on GB's part to push him to the PR market

Guerrero needs to get back in the ring asap, he's not talented enough to be out the ring for an extended period of time. We saw what it did to Ortiz. He needs to build his way back up.

It's never going to change so I've learned to accept it. Even when Pacquiao was planked by Marquez, media and fans a like STILL brought the fight up. Now that he beat an overmatched opponent in Rios the fight is suddenly exciting again. All sides are to blame for this but I don't think about that fight like some rabid fans do. They'll bring the fight up regardless because that's a marketing ploy that Arum, Roach, and Manny and his team use to make money. Manny was never interesting until they brought Mayweather's name up. He gained notoriety by beating Oscar but his fame exploded when the possibility of a Mayweather fight first came about

I'm going Pacquiao, I hope he wins and I think he will, I ain't going for no California sellout. He need to wear a Knicks jersey to the ring from now on. He's taking a big risk because he should be more known and he's earned the spotlight but his style doesn't translate into fans. But he's built a nice resume and he's earned his P4P ranking thus far....but if he loses, what fight can he sell other then a rematch with Ruslan? I just don't like his options.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 4 2014, 10:16 AM
Post #24

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 1 2014, 10:59 AM) *
The PPV is going to be shit, how is he giving Pac 20 million off the PPV? The gate will probably break even. Pac lost his luster and you know no one knows who the fuck Bradley is.

Honestly, this one may sell a bit more than the first fight, since so much between them has happened over the past 2 years. This undercard IS garbage, but the undercard for their first fight didn't help sells at all.

Let's be clear here, we're not totally sure if Manny was ever getting those $20M+ paydays. A fighter's purse has to be reported to the athletic commissions, but remember, Bob is a lawyer, so he may only report a certain amount upfront, and Manny ends up getting the rest of it afterwards.

Now that I think about it, due to this tax situation (or rumor perhaps), who knows what's going on with his money. maybe that's what messed him up...the way his money is being reported. At this point, the Mayweather fight is being "entertained" again, so maybe that's the reason that he's going to get $20M.

Since Bob has kept Manny honest (since the 3rd JMM fight and especially the first Bradley fight), he may begin to "release his funds" (read: pay him what he's used to getting paid). Had Manny won the Bradley fight, it's no doubt that he would've asked for more money in his next fight (since Floyd made $32M against Cotto the month prior), and Bob was there to stop all of that.

I knew for a fact in 2011 before Bradley even came out and said that he signed with TR, that Bob already had Tim lined up for Manny in 2012. So, we know that Bradley was supposed to fight him, BUT, notice that Bob barely lifted a finger to promote that fight.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 4 2014, 03:15 PM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 4 2014, 07:16 AM) *
Honestly, this one may sell a bit more than the first fight, since so much between them has happened over the past 2 years. This undercard IS garbage, but the undercard for their first fight didn't help sells at all.

Let's be clear here, we're not totally sure if Manny was ever getting those $20M+ paydays. A fighter's purse has to be reported to the athletic commissions, but remember, Bob is a lawyer, so he may only report a certain amount upfront, and Manny ends up getting the rest of it afterwards.

Now that I think about it, due to this tax situation (or rumor perhaps), who knows what's going on with his money. maybe that's what messed him up...the way his money is being reported. At this point, the Mayweather fight is being "entertained" again, so maybe that's the reason that he's going to get $20M.

Since Bob has kept Manny honest (since the 3rd JMM fight and especially the first Bradley fight), he may begin to "release his funds" (read: pay him what he's used to getting paid). Had Manny won the Bradley fight, it's no doubt that he would've asked for more money in his next fight (since Floyd made $32M against Cotto the month prior), and Bob was there to stop all of that.

I knew for a fact in 2011 before Bradley even came out and said that he signed with TR, that Bob already had Tim lined up for Manny in 2012. So, we know that Bradley was supposed to fight him, BUT, notice that Bob barely lifted a finger to promote that fight.

How much are you willing to pay for this fight? Mind you in another three weeks you have another big PPV. Are people willing to shed money for two PPVs back to back?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 4 2014, 08:53 PM
Post #26

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 4 2014, 03:15 PM) *
How much are you willing to pay for this fight? Mind you in another three weeks you have another big PPV. Are people willing to shed money for two PPVs back to back?

It seems like all of his fights have been around $60, no problem over here. Besides, if I went to a bar to watch it, I'd probably spend about $50 on food, drinks, and a tip anyway. Not only that, but I'd be surrounded by nimrods and get the full experience of the fight (not being able to hear it, not being able to rewind it, etc).

I don't mind paying for PPVs, besides, GBP has given us A LOT of GOOD fights for free. I'm gonna order the Canelo/Angulo fight as well as the Mayweather card in May. It really doesn't bother me nowadays, besides, I talk to you assholes about fights all week long...no need to talk about a fight for 3 months, then refuse to order it.

+Quote Post
Thickback
post Feb 4 2014, 11:45 PM
Post #27

Strawweight

Member No.: 12,355

Isn't that like turning down some good pussy for a chick that won't even give you her number? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Classic

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 5 2014, 10:13 AM
Post #28

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 4 2014, 05:53 PM) *
It seems like all of his fights have been around $60, no problem over here. Besides, if I went to a bar to watch it, I'd probably spend about $50 on food, drinks, and a tip anyway. Not only that, but I'd be surrounded by nimrods and get the full experience of the fight (not being able to hear it, not being able to rewind it, etc).

I don't mind paying for PPVs, besides, GBP has given us A LOT of GOOD fights for free. I'm gonna order the Canelo/Angulo fight as well as the Mayweather card in May. It really doesn't bother me nowadays, besides, I talk to you assholes about fights all week long...no need to talk about a fight for 3 months, then refuse to order it.

I want to order at least 3 PPvs this year, Cotto v Sergio is def one Zimmerman v DMX and another one.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 5 2014, 12:05 PM
Post #29

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 5 2014, 10:13 AM) *
I want to order at least 3 PPvs this year, Cotto v Sergio is def one Zimmerman v DMX and another one.

YOU wanna order at least 3 PPVs this year?! Say it aint so! What's gotten into you? Did you kick that nasty cigarette habit of yours? You know those cartons run about $40, so in that case, you're saving more money this year! Lol

Just kidding, but what IS a big joke, is that Zimmerman vs DMX celebrity boxing match. I have Zimmerman by UD in that one. X is too much of a junkie nowadays, so we're looking a HW vs a possible super featherweight. What a disgrace.

On another note, just why in the hell are people finding ways to put money in Zimmerman's pockets any damn way.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 5 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #30

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 5 2014, 10:05 AM) *
YOU wanna order at least 3 PPVs this year?! Say it aint so! What's gotten into you? Did you kick that nasty cigarette habit of yours? You know those cartons run about $40, so in that case, you're saving more money this year! Lol

Just kidding, but what IS a big joke, is that Zimmerman vs DMX celebrity boxing match. I have Zimmerman by UD in that one. X is too much of a junkie nowadays, so we're looking a HW vs a possible super featherweight. What a disgrace.

On another note, just why in the hell are people finding ways to put money in Zimmerman's pockets any damn way.

I am taking all of April and May off of work. I have been putting in some serious hours, I even worked on Superbowl Sunday. So I will have a little more time and money to chill and watch boxing, I think DMX will bring a gun and shoot George, I ain't watching that shit. People will spend money on the stupidest shit/

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 08:56 AM