Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I need suggestions.
Douchebag
post Jan 13 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #1

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,400

So I started trainning this week for the All Guard combatives tournament at the end of March. I plan to compete at 185 so I have to cut 20 pounds before the weigh ins in order to compete in the devision that I want. The fights in the tournament are set up for three rounds with the first round being strictly grappling/BJJ stuff, the second round being Pancrase rules (open hand strikes to the head, punches to the body and grappling), the last round being strikes with head gear and 10 ounce gloves.

I've switched up my diet, am now eating 6 times a day, taking in about 2500-3000 calories a day.

I'm basically doing the P90X program in the mornings, running 3 times per week (2-3 miles at a time) and alternating between going BJJ classes and going to the boxing gym at night.

I was hoping I could get some suggestions and tips on trainning for a tournament like this and cutting the weight that I need. Peace!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Jan 13 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

First off, nice work competing in an event like that.

What's the P90X program?

Sounds like you're pretty much doing everything you need to. Lots of protein to repair, water to flush out toxins, mix up the sprints and long distance running to help recovery time inbetween rounds/fights.

Do you do weights cirucits? They're real good for jacking the heart rate up for anerobic fitness and adding strength. I know there's always dispute about whether boxers should use weights (I think they're good), but as you'll be grappling too, it might be an idea?

+Quote Post
KookedKrack
post Jan 14 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 5,468

Good luck on your fight.......post vids of it if you can.

You should be fine if you keep the pace your going at the last few pounds will probably be the roughest.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jan 14 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #4

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

I suggest to run the way that Ray Robinson and Joe Louis did..They would start out by walking,then jogging,then a sprint,then back to a jog,then a walk..Keep repeating this till the run is over..I walk for 30 seconds to a minute,then jog for a minute and a half to 2 minutes then sprint for 30 seconds to a minute..Also,mix in a slow jog while going backwards,shadow boxing, and side to sides..

I don't ever lift weights anymore so I don't suggest using weights but if you must,only light weights,nothing heavy..Weight training was something that Holyfield did to be able to become a heavyweight since his body was naturally a cruiserweight..

Eat a lot of fish and eat oatmeal..

You should be able to lose 20 lbs by the end of March..For me though,I hang around my weight all the time by 5-10 lbs at most..Normally I weigh 205 and I'll be fighting at 200..

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Jan 15 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jan 14 2010, 08:48 PM) *
I suggest to run the way that Ray Robinson and Joe Louis did..They would start out by walking,then jogging,then a sprint,then back to a jog,then a walk..Keep repeating this till the run is over..I walk for 30 seconds to a minute,then jog for a minute and a half to 2 minutes then sprint for 30 seconds to a minute..Also,mix in a slow jog while going backwards,shadow boxing, and side to sides..

I don't ever lift weights anymore so I don't suggest using weights but if you must,only light weights,nothing heavy..Weight training was something that Holyfield did to be able to become a heavyweight since his body was naturally a cruiserweight..

You should be able to lose 20 lbs by the end of March..For me though,I hang around my weight all the time by 5-10 lbs at most..Normally I weigh 205 and I'll be fighting at 200..

This had me messed up. You would think it would be easy because of the walking but on the last leg of the run the sprints turn brisk jogs lol. Good stuff, keep em coming fellas.

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Jan 15 2010, 09:12 AM
Post #6

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Jan 13 2010, 11:51 AM) *
First off, nice work competing in an event like that.

What's the P90X program?

Sounds like you're pretty much doing everything you need to. Lots of protein to repair, water to flush out toxins, mix up the sprints and long distance running to help recovery time inbetween rounds/fights.

Do you do weights cirucits? They're real good for jacking the heart rate up for anerobic fitness and adding strength. I know there's always dispute about whether boxers should use weights (I think they're good), but as you'll be grappling too, it might be an idea?

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Jan 15 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Yeah, the running that Johnny said is called 'Fartlek training'....which is Swedish for 'Speed Play'.

Lots of sports (soccer players, basket ball) where the pace is constantly changing use this to prepare. It's good.

Try 'negative splits' too.....run fast for 3 minutes one way, 30 second breather, then make it back to where you started from in LESS than 3 minutes.

Repeat for around 20 mins.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jan 17 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #8

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jan 15 2010, 10:09 AM) *
This had me messed up. You would think it would be easy because of the walking but on the last leg of the run the sprints turn brisk jogs lol. Good stuff, keep em coming fellas.

Yup..That's how Ray Robinson and Louis would run..My trainer told me that's how he wanted me to run then when I was reading Joe Louis' book,he'd talk about how he did his roadwork(walk,jog,sprint,jog,walk)..After you sprint then go to a jog,that shit gets ya..This style of running has worked my lungs harder than any other kind and it meant to simulate the pace of a fight..Sometimes alittle slow,sometimes a steady pace,and sometime a real hard pace..When my trainer told me to mix in the walking,I was like "are you serious?" and he was just like try it out and let me know..Also make sure when doing the walking that you mix in going backwards..

Like Roll Deep said,the pace is constantly changing and by doing this style of running,your heart will adjust to mixing up different speeds and not just one speed like sprinting..This way,you'll really build up your heart muscles..

If you're unable to keep sprinting at the end,maybe try it on a treadmill so you're forced to do the sprint..hahaha..Then try it again outside once ya have a good feel for it..Always run on grass,sand,or snow..Concrete will destroy your body..

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Feb 15 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #9

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jan 15 2010, 02:48 AM) *

This is great advice. I've been implementing the walk/job/run the last few runs I've done and I can feel the difference sparring. Oatmeal and fish are also essentials to a boxer's diet.

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Feb 15 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Yo, Conscience, you still fighting in that tournament?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 06:07 PM