Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Robert Guerrero. Please explain.
mitukczuk
post Dec 13 2011, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

Hey, I am fairly new to this forum but I think this question needs to be asked.

Who is Robert Guerrero ? Have you ever heard of him ? What has he done in his career to even put his name in the same sentence as Floyd Mayweather's ? I said the same thing about about Amir Khan but it seems to be touching plenty of fighters. How can these people become relevant like that ? They just talk. Don't get me wrong, Guerrero - cool guy, great story but Mayweather ? Really ?

Saddest part is that people are actually thinking about him being a suitable opponent for Floyd.

So, can you please open my mind or at least explain to me, what makes Guerrero THE guy ? Thanks !

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Dec 13 2011, 12:32 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 13 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Dec 13 2011, 11:44 AM) *
Hey, I am fairly new to this topic but I think this question needs to be asked.

Who is Robert Guerrero ? Have you ever heard of him ? What has he done in his career to even put his name in the same sentence as Floyd Mayweather's ? I said the same thing about about Amir Khan but it seems to be touching plenty of fighters. How can these people become relevant like that ? They just talk. Don't get me wrong, Guerrero - cool guy, great story but Mayweather ? Really ?

Saddest part is that people are actually thinking about him being a suitable opponent for Floyd.

So, can you please open my mind or at least explain to me, what makes Guerrero THE guy ? Thanks !

Good question. Like you, I've read some very positive stuff from people that, IMO, know what they're talking about, but apart from that I've never paid any attention to him. I will now watch his old fights online. On the surface I don't think it would be much of a challenge for Floyd and from an earning your dues perspective, there are other boxers more deserving of the fight, but if Guerrero is that good, then yeah, I'd defintiely watch it.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Dec 13 2011, 07:58 PM

+Quote Post
JONdaCON817
post Dec 13 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #3

Welcome to the Dirty South

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 11,493

ahaha... hes gassing himself up... he has no business near May or Pac... idkk why he all the sudden is begging for the payday... hes too small IMO... usually fighting at FW, SFW and LW... he has a few decent wins beating Litzau, Casamayor, and Katsidis... still not good enough to warrant the payday imo...

+Quote Post
cuzzo707
post Dec 13 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #4

Amateur

Member No.: 12,306

I like RG I just think that he needs to get some real good fights under his belt before all this Mayweather talk. He is good but we need to stop gassin these fighters up outta nowhere. RG has got to get on HBO.

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Dec 13 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 7,195

I have known of Guerrero for quite some time and he is a really good little fighter but he doesn't deserve to fight Mayweather or Pacquiao at this point. I think it's risky for Mayweather to take the fight as well since Robert would have to jump a few weight classes and we see the backlash he got for fighting Marquez. Everyone is calling out Mayweather but folks just need to come back down to Earth like Amir Khan lmfao.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 13 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

it's really unfortunate for guerrero. he should have been a bigger star...but, sometimes it happens this way. he had a fight against maidana scheduled that would have made him a high profile fighter, but he injured his shoulder before it happened. at one point he was a sparring partner for pac and from what i recall, he was giving pac all he could handle. now...with his bad shoulder...it's all down hill from here. all he has left is his reputation on what he's accomplished. that may not be enough to land him a big pay day.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 13 2011, 05:04 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 13 2011, 04:20 PM) *
it's really unfortunate for guerrero. he should have been a bigger star...but, sometimes it happens this way. he had a fight against maidana scheduled that would have made him a high profile fighter, but he injured his shoulder before it happened. at one point he was a sparring partner for pac and from what i recall, he was giving pac all he could handle. now...with his bad shoulder...it's all down hill from here. all he has left is his reputation on what he's accomplished. that may not be enough to land him a big pay day.

I mean, the guy's only 28...give him a break. He's just not ready for a big fight yet, and thats only due to his lack of popularity or drawing power. He had pressing matters in his personal life, then his recent injury set him back a bit, but he will be just fine.

Damn, let's not go off and have a candlelight vigil for his career just yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nono.gif) ...he still has plenty of time to make the most of his career.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Dec 13 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Dec 13 2011, 11:44 AM) *
Hey, I am fairly new to this forum but I think this question needs to be asked.

Because he beat one fighter that had a name. So because he did that now he deserves to be in the ring with Mayweather. These guys do not pay dues they just beat one person that has a name and now they are suppose to dethrone the top dog. Go figure. Guerrero great guy but like most up and coming fighters they want the money without working up to it. Amir Khan is a perfect example he overlooked Peterson and lost his title! Mayweather beat Diego Corrales, Super Judah, Corley, and a slue of other fighters before he could even touch De La Hoya. He paid his dues, now they just think you beat one person and you automatically get a shot at Mayweather. sickening. Good post

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 13 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 13 2011, 05:29 PM) *
Because he beat one fighter that had a name. So because he did that now he deserves to be in the ring with Mayweather. These guys do not pay dues they just beat one person that has a name and now they are suppose to dethrone the top dog. Go figure. Guerrero great guy but like most up and coming fighters they want the money without working up to it. Amir Khan is a perfect example he overlooked Peterson and lost his title! Mayweather beat Diego Corrales, Super Judah, Corley, and a slue of other fighters before he could even touch De La Hoya. He paid his dues, now they just think you beat one person and you automatically get a shot at Mayweather. sickening. Good post

Its part of the game, thats how its done nowadays. It only took Ortiz one big win at WW, to land a Mayweather fight. Thats why I haven't completely counted Khan out of the race...if he wins his rematch with Peterson, then one big fight at WW, then he's pretty much in there. He looked bad last weekend, but hell, Ortiz quit in a fight at 140, and redeemed himself enough to land a big fight.

Again, its part of the game. Since you're such a big Floyd fan, Im sure that you didn't know how long long he was calling out Shane and Oscar. Hell, even he was a lightweight at the time, so yeah, he would've had to jump two weight classes to fight either two at 140. Wanna know why he felt he could land those fights?...one of the reasons is probably because Shane jumped two weight classes to fight Oscar.

Since you dont pay attention to interviews or you either select the wrong versions of the fights on youtube, then you probably missed those times he called out Shane and Oscar at LW. Guerrero just doesn't have a big enough fan base to land this big fight, but he does have a vice, so he uses it to call Floyd out. Most of the bigger fighters now and in the past have done it.

Hell, if you have the top guy (FMJ) handpicking his opponents from 2 weight classes south of his, or relatively green fighters who have just crossed the sands into the limelight, then what makes Guerrero think that he doesn't have a chance?

+Quote Post
thefloatingmonke...
post Dec 13 2011, 06:15 PM
Post #10

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 4,046

Robert Guerrero is a good fighter. Don't think he is ready for a Floyd fight, doesn't mean he isn't good though. Would like to see him in a fight against Marquez or against Maidana.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 03:18 AM