IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sugar Ray Robinson vs Floyd Mayweather..
Run and Gun Game...
post Jun 20 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #11

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 195

This is like compairing kobe Bryant to MJ. Kobe is an all time great, no hate intended, but he is no MJ. He's just not

Same for Mayweather, guy has mad skills, but he is no Ray Robinson. Ray had mad hurt you power, but he was long, and knew how to use his reach and speed. Something else not being mentioned is his body work. Ray was an absolute beast to the body.

Ray is better than Floyd, better than Roy and better than leonard. Thats not hate, thats just the truth
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 15 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

^^^^^No question...

Ray is definitely better than Floyd. Nobody can argue accomplishments and quality of competition here.

This is more just to see how they match up in styles.

I see Robinson winning everytime though, no matter what.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 15 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #13

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 15 2010, 07:57 PM) *
^^^^^No question...

Ray is definitely better than Floyd. Nobody can argue accomplishments and quality of competition here.

This is more just to see how they match up in styles.

I see Robinson winning everytime though, no matter what.

Yup..Floyd wouldn't be able to handle his power..Ray could KO Floyd with either hand,with any punch..His right hand to the body would break Floyd down when Floyd would pick his elbows up and hold his hands near his upper forehead..Ray would also use uppercut to split Floyds arms to land when Floyd's hands are in that position..Ray would twist his wrist at the last second on his opp. wrist and break right through..I've seen it and have had it done to me and that shit hurts your wrist bad..When Floyd would hold his right up and his left down around his waist,Ray would be too quick and would get shots in up top by feinting Floyd and seeing how he'd reach then throw the shot that would be open..I also see Ray landing a lot of belly jabs which also set up a lot of Ray's punches up top and to the body..I also see Ray shoeshining Floyd a couple times..Ray didn't have any pitty pat shoeshine either,all those punch hurt..Watch the LaMotta fight and you'll see some of the most vicious body shots..Ray moved Lamotta with body shots from the punch itself,not LaMotta moving.

I don't see Floyd's pitty pats hurting Ray or stopping Ray's rhyme..Floyd's movement would get exposed as would his leaning when he throws his right or even while he's standing still..Let's remember this guys,Ray was a master and through learning his technique he saw right from wrong(leaning,hand placement,would he lean when he bows/slips,and so on)..He exposed everyone's weaknesses..He always had a solution for everyone who was placed in there with him(he was a master of making adjustments)..Ray's mental energy was amazing..When Ray had his rhyme going in the ring,no welter or middle beats him..

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 15 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

If its a 12 round fight I do give Floyd a chance to last the distance but he would have to use every inch of his skill, know how, and experience here because he'd be in there with a different animal than what he's faced his entire career. Ray I think would have a hard time getting to Floyd's body.

For Floyd to even give himself a real shot, he would have to fight a PERFECT fight. He would have to get in and out, land his quick pot shot right hand, and avoid any serious exchanges of powershots at all costs. Because just staying outside in the reach and distance of Robinson is asking for trouble. Plus he'd have no way of getting his shots in from out there.

Very hard to do against a guy that is probably faster than Floyd himself, plus bigger and stronger, and with KO power in either hand. Not to mention that Robinson didn't mind taking a punch to deliver one of his own.

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Jul 19 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #15

Welterweight

Member No.: 195

very good post pr316

+Quote Post
dominicbuilder9k...
post Jul 20 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #16

Flyweight

Member No.: 10,500

You compare Sugar Ray Robinson with Floyd..?...

No way!...Was there any instance were Robinson ducked or chicken out with good fighters?...

Better analyzed the difference between a good boxer like Floyd from a very good and great boxer fighters such as Robinson and Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard and Hearns etc,..etc.,..

There is a good boxer and there is a very good, great boxer-fighter...comparison is miles apart.

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Jul 20 2010, 01:13 AM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,319

The only welters who i could see giving a peak Robinson trouble was a prime Leonard and Duran from the first Leonard fight not saying they would beat him just saying they would give him a good fight.

Robinson beats Floyd everytime.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Jul 21 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #18

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

If he could lose to someone the skill level of jake lamatta then I see floyd being able to hang tough. Jake lamatta outweighed him by about 15 pounds in the back to back bouts in Detroit's Olympia stadium. Suprisingly Ray weighing at below 147 lost to a much slower lamatta in 1943 even though 3 weeks later ray beat him in a rematch. If a slow Lamatta could beat Ray Rob I give Floyd a shot

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 21 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

Lamotta was a super strong fella who could walk through Robinson's fire to deliver his own.

I wouldn't put too much on Mayweather being able to do that. Plus he's a smaller guy.

What Lamotta did bears no resemblance to how Mayweather would do.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 21 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #20

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 21 2010, 06:59 PM) *
Lamotta was a super strong fella who could walk through Robinson's fire to deliver his own.

I wouldn't put too much on Mayweather being able to do that. Plus he's a smaller guy.

What Lamotta did bears no resemblance to how Mayweather would do.

LaMotta could take pain..Robinson broke his ribs in the last fight early on and LaMotta didn't show too many signs of that..If Mayweather had broken ribs,he probably would be showing intense pain and would be favoring his ribs..

LaMotta didn't have the best skills but so what,he had other attributes that made up for them..Skills may be the most important thing to me but there are ways to make due with what you have and beat guys with higher skills..Mayorga did it before too..Does it mean Vernon Forrest wasn't that good??Hell naw,he whooped on Mosley when they fought and Mosley beat Mayorga..LaMotta beat Robinson once..Does anyone know of anyone who beat Robinson twice??LaMotta also weighed around 16 lbs more than Robinson too in the first fight..Yet,I don't think that meant anything because that's how much he outweighed Robinson in the second fight too..

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 10:44 AM