> the fabulous four, duran, leonard, hearns and hagler
neophyte7
post May 11 2013, 05:21 PM
Post #11

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ May 11 2013, 03:19 PM) *
You have a valid point except that Roy fought Tarver 3 times, did TH go all out to rematch Hagler?? That proves something to me from the mind of TH (who I'm a huge fan of), it basically said that he knew he wasn't better and would get put to sleep again. Sure Hearns accomplished more but in terms of the mental between them we can see that not even Hearns believed he was better.

That is a myth HEARNS NEVER WANTED A REMATCH-- I was a kid in Detroit at the time and I can tell you he wanted a rematch---According to my understanding a rematch was eyed for November 1986 after Hearns made quick work of the #1 contender JAMES "BLACK GOLD SCHULER) the same night Hagler fought Beast Mugabi and said that was his toughest fight.. he even hinted of quitting. Hearns eyed a rematch and it was talk by his manager that Hearns would get a rematch.. then Ray Leonard who was on hand to see a more vulnerable hagler came out of retirement to want a shot at HAGLER.. Hagler chose Ray Leonard

these are some quotes from Hearns in the Chicago Tribune 1986 ``I`ll go right after him again,`` Hearns promised, noting strategy that many thought ill-founded last year. ``I`m a different person than the one who fought Hagler last year. I feel great, my legs are strong and I can execute everytime.

``I have something to prove. There`s never a day that goes by that I don`t think about a rematch. It was difficult for me to train with Hagler here. I kept thinking about him and it was hard to concentrate on Shuler.``

Hagler response to a Hearns rematch Hagler, who initially said he would think about whether he wants a rematch with Hearns, later added: ``I`ve worked through them all and I don`t think anyone`s left. I`m going around again.``.

This post has been edited by neophyte7: May 11 2013, 05:31 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post May 11 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #12

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,903

what about srl vs pryor?

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 11 2013, 05:31 PM
Post #13

Welterweight

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 11 2013, 06:27 PM) *
what about srl vs pryor?

Leonard ran from Aaron Pryor... literally in my view. I guess the clips of Pryor whipping Hearns ass in the amatuers scared him shitless

+Quote Post
Amandla
post May 11 2013, 05:33 PM
Post #14

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,750

Marvin is my favourite fighter of ALL TIME. The only reason that fight was so close with SRL is because Hagler let him get int his head. This is WHY I think Floyd would beat Hagler (If they matched up weight wise). Floyd can get into your head even more than Leonard could.

I wish someone would write a decent authorised biography of the man,=.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 11 2013, 09:22 PM
Post #15

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Leonard seemed to run from a lot of people till they looked bad and what not, who did he beat on there best day

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post May 11 2013, 09:24 PM
Post #16

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

Since nobody is repping duran, I have to jump in here for my boy. The very fact that duran is even mentioned with these other 3 big huge athletic men, makes him even more amazing. This was a skinny kid from the dirts of panama, a lightweight fighter who gave all these guys a hard fucking time. This guy was almost always at a disadvantage whenever he fought any of the other 3. His arm length always screwed him over big time, especially with hearns. He could deal with the speed of leonard, the reach of hagler, but not both at the same time, thats why he got knocked out by hearns.

But you also have to remember this, he was the only one to beat sugar ray leonard of the 3, and tommy hearns knocked him out, but then got knocked out by Iran Barkley, whom duran defeated and went the distance with, even dropped his ass, at 38 years old. He even went the distance with hagler in haglers prime, the only guy hagler couldnt kncokout during his rampage at middleweight. And no, i beleive hagler was about done when leonard fought him in 87, he wanted leonard in 1982, but never got him. Duran was the first guy to really step up and give marvin hagler a super fight.

And he gave hagler hell. He fought the man toe to toe,on the inside, which NOBODY else survived. Anybody that fought hagler on the inside, toe to toe, got knocked out hard, liek hearns, or eventually taken into deep water and drowned over time, like mugabi. . Duran is so underrated its ridiculous. He had more skill than any of the other 3, but his physical gifts werent as great as theres, yet he competed with them all. Yes, you can tell im a super duran fanboy lol

This post has been edited by klonopinz: May 11 2013, 09:25 PM

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post May 11 2013, 09:33 PM
Post #17

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

I forgot to address his loss to benitez, yes he lsot to benitez, but benitez got KOd by moore, who duran KOd, he also lost to hamsho, who got KOd by hagler, who duran went the distance with. My point is, this man went the distance with all the murderers and killers that nobody else could deal with, and he gave them hell, i think he actually enjoyed taunting them aswell. Duran was just a mean SOB in the ring. But he would give away all his purse money to the poor kids wherever he was fighting at, outside the ring, the guy was gave back, and was a hero.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 12 2013, 07:55 AM
Post #18

Welterweight

QUOTE (klonopinz @ May 11 2013, 10:33 PM) *
I forgot to address his loss to benitez, yes he lsot to benitez, but benitez got KOd by moore, who duran KOd, he also lost to hamsho, who got KOd by hagler, who duran went the distance with. My point is, this man went the distance with all the murderers and killers that nobody else could deal with, and he gave them hell, i think he actually enjoyed taunting them aswell. Duran was just a mean SOB in the ring. But he would give away all his purse money to the poor kids wherever he was fighting at, outside the ring, the guy was gave back, and was a hero.

Hands of stone definitely is worthy of being considered the best of the bunch and his accomplishments back him up. His performance against Iran Barkely was great. Iran was a huge middle weight and Duran busted his ass something terrible in a great bout.... Hands of stone is one of my favorite fighters. He was not intimidated of Hagler in the slightest.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post May 13 2013, 08:08 AM
Post #19

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

there is a hands of stone movie coming out

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 13 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #20

Welterweight

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 13 2013, 09:08 AM) *
there is a hands of stone movie coming out

Great title for a Duran story if the movie is in fact about him.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 02:29 AM