Total Votes: 7
Guests cannot vote 
Gambit808
post Jan 30 2013, 07:54 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

When u compare the landscape of boxing, from this point in time of stars/potential stars, compared to 2003 roster from each division, would you say (talent-wise) boxing has progressed or declined?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Plah
post Jan 30 2013, 09:31 PM
Post #2

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

Progressed in talent, declined in popularity. That's just my opinion though.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jan 30 2013, 11:00 PM
Post #3

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

There are more smaller fights being made. However, the interest in boxing from many has declined over the last decade. Too many big fights not happening, too few unification matches, too many promoters unwilling to risk their house fighters against other promoters' house fighters. I wish there could be a way to almost take the promoters out of boxing. Let the networks show the fights and the fights be made regardless of who promotes.

Keep Pay-Per View only for closed-circuit caliber fights with most fights on HBO or Showtime and more fights on commercial TV. There's more channels and stations for boxing than ever before, but they aren't being used effectively to get boxing interesting to new generations again. If we could get a kick-ass heavyweight contender who brings excitement and would be willing to fight in afternoon or prime-time commercial TV where the pubic could see and appreciate him, other divisions and fights could follow suit. Overall, I would say the sport interest has declined.

Jack

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Jan 30 2013, 11:27 PM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

While it has declined i think its progression exceeds the declination. The main reason why boxing has declined is because we don't have an American Heavyweight star. The Heavyweight division is weak. Thats a fact. My personal belief though is that boxing isn't what it could be in terms of popularity because the top fighters in the US are not white. Imagine if Andre Ward was a white boxer. As a 2004 gold medalist, super six winner, and present undefeated unified champion (arguably undisputed because he beat all the current belt holders in his division) his stock, endorsements, and popularity would've been through the roof! Take De La Hoya for example. While he is a mexican descendant his physical attributes allowed him to appeal to a white audience and also be he face of America when he was on top of his game. Look at Canelo for example. He's 100% mexicano but they way he looks alone has gained him the attention that future HOFers have worked years to get. One could make the case that Kelly Pavlik is white but if he was promoted better, had more personality, and had the attention on him since day one (like Canelo and Broner) he would've been an American icon. Imagine how much more exposure Broner would have as the next American Icon if he was white? Imagine how much more popular and praised Floyd would be if he was white. If Tyson was white?! If BHOP was white?! RJJr.?!.. i dont think i even have to go there...
And not only in the US either. Generally speaking, the top boxers besides Froch are minorities. Floyd, Bradley, and Ward (black), Pacquiao & Donaire (asian), Marquez(Latino), Martinez (Latino). Donaire fought 4 times last year, imagine how much more attention he'd have if he was white. Boxing is a sport populated by minorities. If we had white boxing stars/icons i think the sport would get the respect and attention that it truly deserves which is a shame. It could be very likely that ONE of the reasons UFC blew up/is blowing up the way it is is because it has many white stars. It has a strong white fanbase and the beautiful thing about white folks is that they do support their own(WWE?).

But boxing for the most part has improved. The health of fighters becomes a greater concern with each passing fight and that to me is the biggest step forward. More stringent drug testing has become an issue since Mayweather-Mosley. Even though nothing really has been done to fix the issue of PEDs in boxing its good that everyone is fully aware, Also I've read that the WBC is trying to provide fighters with pensions. I think thats a big step forward. Even with TMT promotions with Floyd and 50, although it was an EPIC fail, the whole idea behind it was to provide fighters with stability after retirement. And now fighters are more aware of preserving their finances. I feel like pretty soon they'll have more resources to secure them selves financially, and physically than they do now. I also think its progressed with the help of DLH, Mayweather, Cotto, Pacquiao...etc. After they heavy weight era they all made it known that the Heavyweight division wasn't the only talented division in the sport and they actually accomplished great numbers. They broadened the landscape for the sport of boxing past the Heavy weights. With fighters becoming promoters now i also think thats a benefit. I think fighters will be better taken care of by people they can relate to. Like Cotto, Floyd, and DLH starting their own promotional ventures.. thats great for the sport. Promotional tyrants like Arum, King are coming towards the end of their reigns.

This post has been edited by Marcus: Jan 30 2013, 11:33 PM

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jan 31 2013, 01:02 AM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Marcus @ Jan 30 2013, 11:27 PM) *
While it has declined i think its progression exceeds the declination. The main reason why boxing has declined is because we don't have an American Heavyweight star. The Heavyweight division is weak. Thats a fact. My personal belief though is that boxing isn't what it could be in terms of popularity because the top fighters in the US are not white. Imagine if Andre Ward was a white boxer. As a 2004 gold medalist, super six winner, and present undefeated unified champion (arguably undisputed because he beat all the current belt holders in his division) his stock, endorsements, and popularity would've been through the roof! Take De La Hoya for example. While he is a mexican descendant his physical attributes allowed him to appeal to a white audience and also be he face of America when he was on top of his game. Look at Canelo for example. He's 100% mexicano but they way he looks alone has gained him the attention that future HOFers have worked years to get. One could make the case that Kelly Pavlik is white but if he was promoted better, had more personality, and had the attention on him since day one (like Canelo and Broner) he would've been an American icon. Imagine how much more exposure Broner would have as the next American Icon if he was white? Imagine how much more popular and praised Floyd would be if he was white. If Tyson was white?! If BHOP was white?! RJJr.?!.. i dont think i even have to go there...
And not only in the US either. Generally speaking, the top boxers besides Froch are minorities. Floyd, Bradley, and Ward (black), Pacquiao & Donaire (asian), Marquez(Latino), Martinez (Latino). Donaire fought 4 times last year, imagine how much more attention he'd have if he was white. Boxing is a sport populated by minorities. If we had white boxing stars/icons i think the sport would get the respect and attention that it truly deserves which is a shame. It could be very likely that ONE of the reasons UFC blew up/is blowing up the way it is is because it has many white stars. It has a strong white fanbase and the beautiful thing about white folks is that they do support their own(WWE?).

But boxing for the most part has improved. The health of fighters becomes a greater concern with each passing fight and that to me is the biggest step forward. More stringent drug testing has become an issue since Mayweather-Mosley. Even though nothing really has been done to fix the issue of PEDs in boxing its good that everyone is fully aware, Also I've read that the WBC is trying to provide fighters with pensions. I think thats a big step forward. Even with TMT promotions with Floyd and 50, although it was an EPIC fail, the whole idea behind it was to provide fighters with stability after retirement. And now fighters are more aware of preserving their finances. I feel like pretty soon they'll have more resources to secure them selves financially, and physically than they do now. I also think its progressed with the help of DLH, Mayweather, Cotto, Pacquiao...etc. After they heavy weight era they all made it known that the Heavyweight division wasn't the only talented division in the sport and they actually accomplished great numbers. They broadened the landscape for the sport of boxing past the Heavy weights. With fighters becoming promoters now i also think thats a benefit. I think fighters will be better taken care of by people they can relate to. Like Cotto, Floyd, and DLH starting their own promotional ventures.. thats great for the sport. Promotional tyrants like Arum, King are coming towards the end of their reigns.

I dig your personal opinion and pretty much everything else after. It's interesting too, because you can feel that aura of needing a american "great white hype" in a sport predominantly latin/black in America. Sort of like how Baseball needed a Jackie Robinson, or even boxing needed a Joe Louis. The other day they had a guy named Mike Lee on a subway commercial and I'm like "who the fuck is this guy"? "who did he fight to get this exposure"? I should've known this guy through boxing first, before I knew him through a fucking subway commercial promoting him as a boxer lol.

The Heavyweight division IMO is being resuscitated at the moment, with a few entertaining prospect, but alot remains to be seen. Like the late Emmanuel Stewart pointed out, with more aggressive guys with Heart and punch power like Seth Mitchell it can crawl back out of the funk in do time.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 31 2013, 02:55 AM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

I personally think its declined mainly because pre this era of boxing you had fighters that could box. The fundamentals weren't as big a joke they are today and even if the brawlers were in there they weren't just punchers with padded out records protected by there promoters. They could actually apply pressure, had head movement etc etc

This post has been edited by mgrover: Jan 31 2013, 02:56 AM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 31 2013, 03:24 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 31 2013, 02:55 AM) *
I personally think its declined mainly because pre this era of boxing you had fighters that could box. The fundamentals weren't as big a joke they are today and even if the brawlers were in there they weren't just punchers with padded out records protected by there promoters. They could actually apply pressure, had head movement etc etc

This.

The craft is losing respect no matter what style fighters have today...

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 31 2013, 05:17 AM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

also the essence of being a man, I know it sounds a bit meh, but it's the fact that then, anybody fought anybody and why? because they wanted respect, you had fighters like Hagler taking on all comers just for that bit of respect, and sure politics got in the way but still it didn't stop him fighting anyone and everyone. You had the likes of Aaron Pryor forever chasing Leonard etc etc. Know though you only see this in some fighters, but the up and comers you see with this attitude are all way too far off and there doing if for the money not the actual glory.

Then again the ppv rate has been bigger than ever, but that's only when certain fighters fight

This post has been edited by mgrover: Jan 31 2013, 09:43 AM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 31 2013, 03:16 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i believe it has progressed on all levels. never really been a fan of the so called 'mega fights'...they never live up to the hype. great fights just happen. no need for ppv.

i can see the u.s. having a heavyweight champion in the next 2-3 yrs. then it's popularity is going to soar. there are a lot of developing heavyweights coming up through amateur boxing. it's only a matter of time.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jan 31 2013, 04:57 PM
Post #10

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 31 2013, 03:16 PM) *
i believe it has progressed on all levels. never really been a fan of the so called 'mega fights'...they never live up to the hype. great fights just happen. no need for ppv.

i can see the u.s. having a heavyweight champion in the next 2-3 yrs. then it's popularity is going to soar. there are a lot of developing heavyweights coming up through amateur boxing. it's only a matter of time.

I agree, my only question, when did ppv's start up for boxing?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 01:34 AM