IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ward vs Chavez (Topics Merged), Any Interest? At 168?
Cshel86
post Aug 17 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Okay guys, don't laugh at me, but I just thought about this. I would like to hear you guys' thoughts on how the fight would go, though Im sure most would give it to Ward easily. Maybe. Maybe not.

My biggest question is, how could their promoters put a huge spin on things and make this into a HUGE fight over the course of a year? I mean, Ward is big in the boxing world, but not so much with casual fans. Chavez is going to be big (that's what they're working towards), due to his name, if he can keep winning.

This would no doubt, be somewhat of a breakout fight for Ward, in regards to the world knowing who he is. The lifting is in the hands of Chavez's team...maybe a fight with Kelly Pavlik and some other notable name at 168 by the end of next year. He does have a pretty busy schedule, so it can be done...maybe May '14, if Ward stays at 68.

What are you guys' thoughts on the popularity of this fight? Fight results?

Oh yeah...Chavez is going to beat Sergio. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Aug 17 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 17 2012, 07:49 PM) *
Okay guys, don't laugh at me, but I just thought about this. I would like to hear you guys' thoughts on how the fight would go, though Im sure most would give it to Ward easily. Maybe. Maybe not.

My biggest question is, how could their promoters put a huge spin on things and make this into a HUGE fight over the course of a year? I mean, Ward is big in the boxing world, but not so much with casual fans. Chavez is going to be big (that's what they're working towards), due to his name, if he can keep winning.

This would no doubt, be somewhat of a breakout fight for Ward, in regards to the world knowing who he is. The lifting is in the hands of Chavez's team...maybe a fight with Kelly Pavlik and some other notable name at 168 by the end of next year. He does have a pretty busy schedule, so it can be done...maybe May '14, if Ward stays at 68.

Oh yeah...Chavez is going to beat Sergio. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

I like this idea and could see this fight being huge in a couple years or so if all goes well.

Wus interesting right now with the 2 in terms of pound for pound is, if both men win there fights, technically Chavez jr. would probably jump in front of Ward on some lists being that he's facing Martinez who is pound 4 pound #3 and Ward is facing Dawson whom on most list is #9/10.

All in all I think they'd make a killing building up this fight especially if both men remain undefeated until that time. Of coarse the comparison of Hagler-Hearns will be thrown in there but I think this fight would more or less resemble Chavez-Taylor, but please don't quote me on that.

+Quote Post
Jimmy
post Aug 17 2012, 08:05 PM
Post #3

Amateur

Member No.: 13,677

Mismatch.Easy work for SOG.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 17 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

If Ward decides to stay at SMW, I could see this being a big fight. I think I'd take Ward by UD. JCC jr has minimal defense but I attribute this to his 1 dimensional trainer. Also, JCC jr's biggest advantage so far in his career is that he walks into the ring with an excessive weight advantage. Granted he can take a punch but I need to see him get tagged by a legit 168 pounder before I consider him for a fight with Ward.

The skills that Ward has will carry him against JCC jr. He's crafty and he digs down and does what ever is necessary to get that W. When JCC jr gets to 168, I'm interested to see how they match him up. I wouldn't be surprised if they spoon feed him like they've done in the past, until he proves he can handle those upper echelon fighters. I don't see him being a threat to many at 168, especially not Ward. If I was a matchmaker, I'd keep him away from athletic fighters, he's fresh food for those types

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Aug 18 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 17 2012, 07:49 PM) *

I'd watch it, but it would be night night for your boy JCC Jr.

The only thing that Chavez is going to beat are Sergio's gloves...with his face.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 19 2012, 02:32 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

if they can get past their next opponents...this is the biggest fight for either guy to make. i'll go with ward by ud...but i wouldn't count jr out.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 19 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Great points guys!

I just believe that if they have a formidable opponent (Ward) in front of Julio, they (his team, Arum in particular) can make the shit bigger than what its supposed to be. I mean, its not like Chavez Sr. was fighting the best of the best before he shared the ring with Mayweather, Taylor, Randall, Whitaker, and few others.

I feel this situation playing out the same way. Thing is, Julio HAS to beat Sergio (who is considered the best in the MW division) before people can even mention a Ward bout with scoffing. Trust me, if he beats Sergio (which I think he will), then all he has to do is get in there with Pavlik and beat him (close or not).

50 has some business ties with Julio now, and I wouldn't rule out a Dirrell fight. Im not saying that he can beat Dirrell, but if they put him in there (thinking that Dirrell will skunk him) and something goes wrong down the stretch, then why wouldn't they bring up a Ward fight afterwards? We saw how Dirrell/Abraham went.

Honestly, Julio has a bit more star power/potential than Dirrell at this point, so he could bypass him. I mean seriously, whether Julio is an easy check in Ward's pocket or not, Im sure that fight would have "money" written all over it. Who knows if Froch would've ever fought Ward, had it not been for the Super 6, which made it pretty much mandatory that they fight. Who knows.

All Im saying, is that Julio has a big following and Im sure people on his end are PUSHING for him to fight and possibly beat a highly skilled fighter. Not saying that Sergio isn't, but an African American US Olympic Gold Medalist in front of one of Mexico's biggest stars...somebody is dying to see him dethrone Ward, whether its a delusional thought or not.

If Ward is that great (which he is for the most part), then thats an easy check in his pocket and more exposure (which he needs all that he can get). Hell, what if he loses to Dawson, do you think he'll look to a Chavez fight within the next year, if its offered to him? Think about it, Chavez fights about 3-4 times per year...its not that far-fetched if he wants to move up to 168 after this Martinez fight...if he wins.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Aug 20 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #8

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I can't see Sergio flourishing once the fight gets dirty. Not illegal dirty but gritty dirty. When he fight gets rough, and it will, what's sergio going to do? I think it will be a competitive fight though.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 20 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 19 2012, 10:12 PM) *
Great points guys!

I just believe that if they have a formidable opponent (Ward) in front of Julio, they (his team, Arum in particular) can make the shit bigger than what its supposed to be. I mean, its not like Chavez Sr. was fighting the best of the best before he shared the ring with Mayweather, Taylor, Randall, Whitaker, and few others.

I feel this situation playing out the same way. Thing is, Julio HAS to beat Sergio (who is considered the best in the MW division) before people can even mention a Ward bout with scoffing. Trust me, if he beats Sergio (which I think he will), then all he has to do is get in there with Pavlik and beat him (close or not).

50 has some business ties with Julio now, and I wouldn't rule out a Dirrell fight. Im not saying that he can beat Dirrell, but if they put him in there (thinking that Dirrell will skunk him) and something goes wrong down the stretch, then why wouldn't they bring up a Ward fight afterwards? We saw how Dirrell/Abraham went.

Honestly, Julio has a bit more star power/potential than Dirrell at this point, so he could bypass him. I mean seriously, whether Julio is an easy check in Ward's pocket or not, Im sure that fight would have "money" written all over it. Who knows if Froch would've ever fought Ward, had it not been for the Super 6, which made it pretty much mandatory that they fight. Who knows.

All Im saying, is that Julio has a big following and Im sure people on his end are PUSHING for him to fight and possibly beat a highly skilled fighter. Not saying that Sergio isn't, but an African American US Olympic Gold Medalist in front of one of Mexico's biggest stars...somebody is dying to see him dethrone Ward, whether its a delusional thought or not.

If Ward is that great (which he is for the most part), then thats an easy check in his pocket and more exposure (which he needs all that he can get). Hell, what if he loses to Dawson, do you think he'll look to a Chavez fight within the next year, if its offered to him? Think about it, Chavez fights about 3-4 times per year...its not that far-fetched if he wants to move up to 168 after this Martinez fight...if he wins.

ward should be the bigger star...but i get the feeling if chavez wins this fight against sergio....his popularity will be through the roof. he'll be in the drivers seat...and i cannot see arum serving him up to someone like ward just yet if that happens. we already know arums' order of operations when it comes to his stars. they wouldn't have taken this fight with martinez if they didn't believe julio would win it. best believe their matchmakers have studied this one thoroughly. dirrell would be a step backwards for chavez..if he's going to move up to 168 look for arum to serve up pavlik like u said. he'll keep things in house...and try to milk chavez for all he's worth.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 20 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 20 2012, 04:16 PM) *
ward should be the bigger star...but i get the feeling if chavez wins this fight against sergio....his popularity will be through the roof. he'll be in the drivers seat...and i cannot see arum serving him up to someone like ward just yet if that happens. we already know arums' order of operations when it comes to his stars. they wouldn't have taken this fight with martinez if they didn't believe julio would win it. best believe their matchmakers have studied this one thoroughly. dirrell would be a step backwards for chavez..if he's going to move up to 168 look for arum to serve up pavlik like u said. he'll keep things in house...and try to milk chavez for all he's worth.

From what I remember, a month or two before the Andy Lee bout was signed, Chavez only had a little over a year left on his TR contract. If all goes well by next summer, and he's able to land a Pavlik bout (which is possible), then he will be a big enough attraction and not even need TR anymore.

One of the chief reasons that I believe Arum made the Martinez fight, was because Julio was threatening to sit out his contract and fight in Mexico until it was up. So Arum either made the fight to punish him (in the event that he loses), reward him, or financially punish him by making sure that he never even thinks of asking for more money in his next fight, in the event that he loses to Sergio.

Your reason could be just as accurate or correct, so I wont rule it out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Anyway, Im almost wondering how a Dirrell fight would be a step backwards for Julio. Give me some clarity please, you may see something that I dont see in this case. If anything, I believe that it would be a step up (competition wise) for Chavez and just the opposite for Dirrell.

The reason I threw Dirrell in there, is because he and Ward have close ties (skill wise), and I figured that would be somewhat of a measuring stick to see if Julio would be ready for a Ward fight. I thought that would be one of those TR "throw him in there with a slick black fighter" moves, sort of like they did Manny with the Bradley fight.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 11:21 AM