IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Will No Longer Acknowledge a '0', Have at it...
gravytrain
post Aug 31 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #31

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (Crafty @ Aug 31 2011, 05:42 PM) *
Well it prevents boring fighters like Bhop winning boring decision after boring decision, just to keep winning. Then people want to watch him fight just to see if he loses. It reminds me of his head to head with Jean Pascal screaming "For me it's all about the W!" But what he doesn't realize is that there are some fighters out there who actually want to please the fans with a good fight.

This might prevent some fighters from just trying to win boring decisions to stay undefeated and relevant. Honestly, having another payday in the future doesn't always come into play when they are already making big bucks for that apperance. Look at David Haye, cashed out and ready to retire.

if you want to see some fighters with no skill slug it out go watch Silver Gloves. decisions are part of boxing. if the fighter isn't running and putting in a noneffort i can't really see what the problem is. i really can't see the similarity between Hopkins vs Pascal and Wlad vs Haye either, Hopkins fought a good fight. he showed great footwork, feints, angles and use of the jab.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #32

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 31 2011, 05:53 PM) *
DLH left TR in 2001. what about the fights after that? as the top earner he took on tough opposition on a regular basis. Mayweather never fought a lightweight at welterweight without even making the catchweight with Arum either.

neither guy would be in the position they're in without top rank or their great matchmakers.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 05:07 PM
Post #33

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 31 2011, 05:58 PM) *
DLH took many more risks in the ring, that shouldn't be up for debate.

running from trinidad in the closing round is a good example of the kind of risk he took.

his whole career with arum was all about favorable match ups. i like the guy...and he won when he was supposed to for the most part, but how many times was he not favored to win?

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 31 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #34

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 31 2011, 06:07 PM) *
running from trinidad in the closing round is a good example of the kind of risk he took.

his whole career with arum was all about favorable match ups. i like the guy...and he won when he was supposed to for the most part, but how many times was he not favored to win?

Berto vs Hernandez is a favorable match up, DLH vs Whitaker is a tough fight. there will always be a favorite in a fight or game but there are upsets too. his career after Top Rank has been much better than Mayweather or Pac's career as a top earner.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 31 2011, 06:05 PM) *
neither guy would be in the position they're in without top rank or their great matchmakers.

so are you saying Mayweather is just a product of careful matchmaking?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #35

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 31 2011, 06:23 PM) *
Berto vs Hernandez is a favorable match up, DLH vs Whitaker is a tough fight. there will always be a favorite in a fight or game but there are upsets too. his career after Top Rank has been much better than Mayweather or Pac's career as a top earner.

so are you saying Mayweather is just a product of careful matchmaking?

berto/hernandez = dlh/charpentier

absolutely. any fighter that gets to the top is a product of careful matchmaking. these things don't happen by accident.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Aug 31 2011, 05:32 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Aug 31 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #36

Guests

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 1 2011, 08:07 AM) *

Basing not even 1/4 of a fight to sum up his career. Not very smart.

His list of opponents is far superior than the fighters you mentioned, and quite comfortably.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #37

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 31 2011, 06:50 PM) *
Basing not even 1/4 of a fight to sum up his career. Not very smart.

His list of opponents is far superior than the fighters you mentioned, and quite comfortably.

trinidad? i don't think so. dlh's biggest win came against vargas...a guy trinidad beat first. actually...if u look at their records u'll see that trinidad beat more undefeated fighters and also beat a few of them before dlh did.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Aug 31 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #38

Guests

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 1 2011, 08:55 AM) *
trinidad? i don't think so. dlh's biggest win came against vargas...a guy trinidad beat first. actually...if u look at their records u'll see that trinidad beat more undefeated fighters and also beat a few of them before dlh did.

You weren't comparing him to Trinidad, so not sure why you're bringing this up. I thought you were comparing the fights he took compared to Mayweather and Pacquiao. Why are you talking about Trinidad now?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #39

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 31 2011, 07:24 PM) *
You weren't comparing him to Trinidad, so not sure why you're bringing this up. I thought you were comparing the fights he took compared to Mayweather and Pacquiao. Why are you talking about Trinidad now?

u said 'the fighters u mentioned'....and trinidad is the guy i mentioned in the post u quoted.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Aug 31 2011, 07:50 PM

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Aug 31 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #40

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

Who's on 1st?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 04:49 AM