post Sep 29 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #21

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 29 2010, 10:40 PM) *
April 25 2006

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=2420382

On that date, these were Mayweather's opponents to date.

Zab Judah
Sharmba Mitchell
Arturo Gatti
Henry Bruseles
DeMarcus Corley
Phillip N'dou
Victoriano Sosa
Jose Luis Castillo
Jose Luis Castillo

Which one of those fights did he make $10 million?

Game, Set and Match Fitz.

Now don't you ever talk to me about boxing ever again.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) You guys are on fire today.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Sep 29 2010, 11:23 PM
Post #22

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

I've been here long enough to know that no matter how big of a Floyd Mayweather fan you are there is no need to try to justify most of his career moves. Besides..........he doesn't his damn self. Just let it go.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Sep 29 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #23

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Sep 29 2010, 11:57 PM) *
People gotta realize that this isnt the 60's, 70's, and the 80's anymore Floyd is a business man first, then a boxer, if it doesnt make business sense first then Floyd aint gonna jump on it. Like he said b4 belts dont do nothin but collect dust when its all over with so he's tryna make sure that he is set financially for the rest of his life and make sure his kids have it easy growing up.

The opponents Floyd chose made sound financial sense (low risk, high reward). Unfortunately that formula doesn't work for legacy or greatness.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Sep 29 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #24

Heavyweight

Honestly, I think most of Floyd's recent career rests on which opponent was the tougher challenge at the time: Judah or Margarito. After that, when you dissect the timeline (Hype did a good job of that), you can actually make a reasonable argument for why he chose his opponents post-Judah. So I guess his career is kind of debatable, but my biggest gripe is the constant inactivity. I don't understand why he keeps taking 1-2yr layoffs, then shouting from the sidelines how he's still the best. It just gets kind of annoying after a while.

This post has been edited by Snoop: Sep 29 2010, 11:39 PM

+Quote Post
jvo1800
post Sep 29 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #25

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 10,205

QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 30 2010, 12:32 AM) *
The opponents Floyd chose made sound financial sense (low risk, high reward). Unfortunately that formula doesn't work for legacy or greatness.

I agree but i dont think Floyd is fully into the sport for legacy in the first place, like he always says he's into the check cashing business. His legacy may be questioned when its all over with, but nobody can ever deny his skill and talent regardless of who he did or didnt fight.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Sep 30 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #26

Heavyweight

QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Sep 30 2010, 05:55 AM) *
I agree but i dont think Floyd is fully into the sport for legacy in the first place, like he always says he's into the check cashing business. His legacy may be questioned when its all over with, but nobody can ever deny his skill and talent regardless of who he did or didnt fight.

Well I think that's what we're debating here. People will deny his skill and talent because they were never tested against the division's best. You can look great against a sparring partner yet like complete shit against a top-tier opponent. Not saying Mayweather would look like shit against the aforementioned names, but he's basically leaving it as a question to be pondered, not answered. And while he has said he's in the "check cashing business", he also said he was greater than Sugar Ray Robinson. I think that's where most people, including me, take issue with him.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Sep 30 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #27

Heavyweight

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 30 2010, 05:15 AM) *
I have defended PBF's independence in an industry that so often sucks its talent dry like the spider to the fly, often. The fact that he controls his own career frustrates many because they feel he should sacrifice his health and future for their amusement. I respect him for his cavalier rebelliousness. But the other side of that coin is the fact that his boxing legacy does not hold up versus Sugar Ray Leonard let alone SSR.

You can defend his skills and talent all day and night for the next 365 days while simultaneously rationalizing his choice of opponents and it will not change the simple fact that his career up until now does not stand the P4P test, let alone the measure of GOAT.

Yup.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Sep 30 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #28

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Sep 30 2010, 12:55 AM) *

If he doesn't fight Pacquiao or any other tough fight he wont have any legacy, his skills will be questioned, and his paydays will plummet. Skill and talent mean nothing if you don't flaunt it, nobody would know about any athlete if they never truly proved themselves.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Sep 30 2010, 01:34 AM
Post #29

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 30 2010, 01:49 AM) *
If he doesn't fight Pacquiao or any other tough fight he wont have any legacy, his skills will be questioned, and his paydays will plummet. Skill and talent mean nothing if you don't flaunt it, nobody would know about any athlete if they never truly proved themselves.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
thehype
post Sep 30 2010, 01:40 AM
Post #30

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 29 2010, 08:21 PM) *
Oscar who was a bigger business man than Floyd will ever be managed to fight, and give most boxing fans good match ups, fought just about everybody. Seeing the fights DLH took and him being the bigger businessman by a mile never stopped him did it. Oscar the bigger star than Mayweather managed to find a right balance.

Ah, ah, ahhhhhh....He didn't fight Winky Wright, Vernon Forrest or Kostya Tsyzu...and he damn sure wouldn't give Whitaker or Quartey a rematch.

I'm just sayin.

I was actually tempted to comment on some other things, but I don't have time to go there right now.

Just had to get a quick dig in on Oscar.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 07:11 PM